Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556539 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3675 on: November 13, 2016, 05:38:22 pm »

A lot of Yogurt is "Fake" so to speak (It falls under the legal: "Well it is technically yogurt in that it is a sour tasting dairy product with bacteria" territory) and contains lots of dairy.
Actually not containing dairy is a surefire sign of a Yogurt's fakeness...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: November 16, 2016, 03:13:56 am »

I just got a 9" pie tin, and I want to make some pies!

Are canned pie fillings worth it? Do they need anything mixed in with them, generally, or do they just go straight in?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: November 16, 2016, 05:46:06 am »

Look at the can, it'll tell you. Most canned pie fillings go right in. Pumpkin usually doesn't unless it's specifically already-made pie mix.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: November 16, 2016, 06:30:02 am »

A little bro-cuisine: fried noodles! A classic of cheap ramen eats. Put on Closer by the Chainsmokers and let us begin.

What you'll need: ramen packet of your choice. 2 eggs. Custom veggies, i prefer regular old broccoli, small sprouts. Meat, preferably fresh, that matches the ramen flavor. A bottle of soy sauce.

Start with a small pot if water with 2 cups of water. Get it boiling and seperate the flavor packet from the noodles and put the noodles in.
While the noodles are on boil, get a frying pan going on a medium high heat with a light layer of cooking oil or butter of your choice. Fry up the meat.
The meat should ideally finish first. Set the pan to low and for lower calories, you may drain the fat.
The noodles should finish next. Strain the water and put the noodles in the pan.
Fill the pot again to about 2 cups. Boil and add the veggies.
Get the pan up to medium high and mix the meat and noodles. Crack and add the eggs to the pan. Slowly mix and break up the eggs so they come out scrambled.
The veggies should boil for a little while youre doing that. When they finish, strain and add to pan.
Splash a little soy sauce in the pan and set to high. Stir fry that mofo.
And to finish, add the seasoning to a small cup of water. It should be really dense. Add to the stir fry. Cook while stirring the seasoning in until the water level goes down.

Voila! Cheap stir fry using ramen noodles.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: November 16, 2016, 02:12:34 pm »

In the name of all that's holy, if you're going to stoop to using canned pie filling, don't do pumpkin. Good pumpkin pie is fucking full of spices, brown sugar, molasses, all sorts of good stuff. Canned filling, the cheap store-bought ones, they're complete trash, nothing but HFCS and pumpkin flavor powder or some shit. Even good store-bought ones are way too goddamn mild.

Here's what you do:

1. Get yourself easy but decent-quality store-bought crusts unless you're really dedicated and decently experienced (homemade crust is great but a total pain in the ass).
2. Buy canned pumpkin puree. Puree, not filling. Puree is nothing but cooked and smoothed pumpkin; filling is preflavored garbage. Like the crust you can make your own, but it's a total pain in the ass.
3. Find yourself a good recipe. Should be one that uses brown sugar, molasses, and all the key spices--a typical mix is nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon.
4. Whatever the spice measurements are, double them. 95% of pumpkin pie recipes are way, way too mild, to the point that you can barely taste anything but a bit of sweetness.

That's the old family tradition here, and it makes a goddamn delicious pumpkin pie. Not sharing the specific recipe 'cause sekret, but the procedure is good. A pumpkin pie made with white sugar, with a light hand on the spices, with store-bought filling, it's going to be shit and you'd be better off making anything else. A proper pumpkin pie will beat out just about anything else if you enjoy a sharp, complex flavor mix layered over sweetness instead of pure cloying sweetness.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: November 16, 2016, 09:27:42 pm »

I prefer pot pies.

Coincidentally, that's what I'm eating right now - homemade chicken pot pie straight from the oven.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: November 16, 2016, 11:51:55 pm »

Then you should try an Australian meat pie. It's like a pot pie, except the pastry goes the whole way around the pie. Since the pastry is quite a thick shortcrust, and the pie is much smaller than e.g. a traditional English pie, it's able to be conveniently carried and eaten in one hand.

So good.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: November 16, 2016, 11:54:20 pm »

Re:pies:Note to self:Acquire family recipes.  Use.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: November 17, 2016, 01:33:53 am »

Then you should try an Australian meat pie. It's like a pot pie, except the pastry goes the whole way around the pie. Since the pastry is quite a thick shortcrust, and the pie is much smaller than e.g. a traditional English pie, it's able to be conveniently carried and eaten in one hand.

So good.

I still love meat pies, even if the art of consuming them is fraught with spilled gravy and scorched fingers. Even after a bakery in Glen Iris gave me food poisoning from their delicious meat pie, I still love meat pies.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: November 17, 2016, 01:47:28 am »

It was canned raspberry filling.

And it turned out okay. I didn't let it cool enough, so the filling was still liquid, and the crust was kinda hard and crunchy, but it tasted okay.

Next time, I'm making Apple pie with fresh apples.

And you don't get pre-made pie crusts here.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: November 17, 2016, 09:36:46 pm »

I still love meat pies, even if the art of consuming them is fraught with spilled gravy and scorched fingers. Even after a bakery in Glen Iris gave me food poisoning from their delicious meat pie, I still love meat pies.

While living abroad, I very nearly missed (like 5 minutes before they closed check-in) my flight out of Korea, because I found an Australian pie-store chain in Seoul. It turns out even a few months away from their delicious baked goodness affects the brain.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3686 on: November 18, 2016, 08:54:23 am »

Feta and spinach on a toasted wholewheat sub is really good.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: November 18, 2016, 11:05:06 am »

Earlier my housemate was enthusiastically describing his plans to open a kebab shop downstairs. O.o
I mean, it's not a bad idea, really. There's only one kebab place in town, and it's part of a shopping complex/mall (which isn't open very late) and so probably wouldn't get too many customers going there specifically for their food. But the thought of this guy running a kebab shop downstairs? Uhm, I don't know... it's pretty hilarious, really.

I have been craving a nice falafel kebab lately, though, so I responded to the idea with enthusiasm and encouragement.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: November 18, 2016, 01:28:07 pm »

How does one make this "pot pie" that you speak of?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3689 on: November 18, 2016, 02:27:05 pm »

Take a pot. Put vegetables and meat and stuff in it. Cover it with piecrust. Cook. Eat.

(I've watched my parents make it. I AM HAVE UBER-CREDENTIALS.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 334