Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Grisly Megaproject  (Read 9594 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grisly Megaproject
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 06:54:45 pm »

Is fixdiplomats and fixmerchants something I run after I embark, or at some other point?

I think the final bit of messing with stuff before I get rolling is making sure the world generation runs nicely. I'm not the most experienced at this. I know I need to adjust the sky limit somewhere, and I'd be more than happy to reduce the cavern layers in favor of higher FPS. I'm also wondering if there is a way to increase the frequency of the big sort of mountain I'd want for carving a throne out of.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:00:48 pm by Bomepie »
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:30 pm »

You can run those two commands any time after embark, I would think. As to adjusting the sky limit, I have no idea... About reducing cavern layers - I know it's possible to completely wipe HFS from your world if you do it wrong... If you don't really mind that, then no problem. To increase the mountain frequency, I would set the erosion to a really low number (or even to "None") and then set the elevation mesh size to 2x2, and then for the elevation weighted ranges:
0-20: 1
20-40: 2
40-60: 4
60-80: 9
80-100:16
Note: You'll probably get a lot of rejects if you just do this, but eventually it'll settle down and gen the history. I would also suggest you double the elevation x/y variance. That'll give you more variety, and probably also give you the bonus of fewer rejects... I think. Haven't tested that in particular, but I know how it works.

You may want a lower mineral scarcity..... change it if you want it.

That ought to amp up the mountains significantly. Remember to set the final page of values to "None" - the "minimum number of ____ squares" values. You don't really need those in the first place, in my opinion, unless you're ubertweaking.

You'll want to bump up the evil in the world if you want to embark in an evil biome - do the same thing for the savagery mesh/weighted ranges as you did with the elevation and then go to the evil square counts and multiply those by 10...

I could just design it for you, I suppose, if you'd like.

EDIT: I realize I gave you a ridiculous amount of instructions there, so I went ahead and designed an example world. Take what you like, trash the rest - get it to where you want it. The caverns are all still in, I didn't mess with those. Medium-sized world.
Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:SKELE TAL]
[DIM:129:129]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1274]
[END_YEAR:250]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:200:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:800:800]
[RAINFALL:0:100:200:200]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:200:200]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:200:200]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:200:200]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:200:200]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:2:1:2:4:9:16]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:2:1:2:4:9:16]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:18]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:37]
[TITAN_NUMBER:9]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:28]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:14]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:14]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:14]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:14]
[SECRET_NUMBER:28]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:28]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:14]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:14]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:503]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:250:2500:5000]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:12]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:3]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:260:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:260:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1040:3:3]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2080:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2080:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2080:3:3]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2080:3:3]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:0]
[RIVER_MINS:100:100]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:25]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:40]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
[SITE_CAP:1040]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:05:59 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2012, 08:40:04 pm »

You'll want to change [LEVELS ABOVE GROUND] to 100, or whatever smaller number you think will suffice.  I think the consensus is that extra sky levels impact fps marginally, if at all, so you may want to just max it in case you find you need it.

If you want the full biodiversity offered by all three cavern levels (cave dragon bones, anyone?), you'll want to keep all three in.  Getting rid of all caverns makes it impossible to grow underground crops.  It looks like Talvieno shrunk the caverns down a bit for you.  I think those settings have changed since last time I messed with them, but those may do the drick for you.
At last, she is done.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:10 pm »

I've been looking around in a world I genned with your parameters, and I really don't see it being feasible to carve a throne out of a cliff face. The cliffs DF gens just don't really get steeper than 45 degrees and get pretty irregular pretty quickly. I think I might just grab a wasteland or desert and build the whole thing up from scratch.

The All Guardsmen Party

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:10 pm »

I've been looking around in a world I genned with your parameters, and I really don't see it being feasible to carve a throne out of a cliff face. The cliffs DF gens just don't really get steeper than 45 degrees and get pretty irregular pretty quickly. I think I might just grab a wasteland or desert and build the whole thing up from scratch.
They get a little bit steeper, sometimes to 20 degrees, but if you're wanting vertical all the way to the top, then not really, no...

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 11:36:23 pm »

I grew up in the rockies, so my cliff expectations are a little skewed I guess.

I just think it'll work best if I start with a level field and build up instead of struggling to find a perfect embark or trying to cram the structure somewhere it doesn't really fit.

I should get some detailed plans started tomorrow

The All Guardsmen Party

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 10:46:20 am »

I think the worldgen parameters you need to work on are erosion cycle and "periodically erode steep cliffs"

You could raise the number of volcanos and go for one that's on a flat area for the throne, or borders on a relatively flat area and mountains area.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »

I think the worldgen parameters you need to work on are erosion cycle and "periodically erode steep cliffs"

You could raise the number of volcanos and go for one that's on a flat area for the throne, or borders on a relatively flat area and mountains area.
Actually, if you look, that was included in the settings I put together. :P Not the volcanoes, though, but simply raising the number of volcanoes would result in virtually infinite rejects. You have to weight the ranges towards 100 volcanism, too.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »

Just an update to let everyone know I didn't just ditch this fort.

The functional portion of the fort is up and running and a 30 dwarf militia is running around in iron gear in a danger room. The fortress has survived two sieges and a dragon (it went straight into a cage trap, no idea what to do with it). I've started killing the elves, and when the next humans come I'll kill them too. Fortress population is over 100, but I'm not really sure I can survive the wholesale slaughter of the haulers since they've spent a fair amount of time socializing and I believe that means a tone of dwarves will tantrum if they die. The fortress is absolutely filled with cloths, food, and children, and at some point a major trash cleaning effort will be needed.

Bone production is progressing steadily if not speedily. Sieges and caravans have supplied most of the bones, but I've sacrificed about 25 dwarves so far. Sacrificing dwarves is a little tricky but I'm beginning to be able to streamline the process.

The current plan is to start construction of the perimeter wall and trap gauntlet, then start the throne. When the throne construction starts I will be posting a Stonesense timelapse of the construction (unless there's a different 3d viewer I should use).

The All Guardsmen Party

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »

Just an update to let everyone know I didn't just ditch this fort.
Whoo! Glad you're still going with it. I saw the "dwarves within dwarf" megaproject you made - very awesome. =) Didn't realize it was yours til I saw you'd posted a link to it. I'm really looking forwards to seeing what you make.

and a dragon (it went straight into a cage trap, no idea what to do with it).
Train it! Train it! You can tame and train dragons now and use them in your army. Or, better - capture a mate and get dragon breeding going.

but I'm not really sure I can survive the wholesale slaughter of the haulers since they've spent a fair amount of time socializing and I believe that means a tone of dwarves will tantrum if they die.
Keep them doing something pointless, like hauling stone from one area to another. Then they never get a chance to idle around, chatting it up.

Bone production is progressing steadily if not speedily. Sieges and caravans have supplied most of the bones, but I've sacrificed about 25 dwarves so far. Sacrificing dwarves is a little tricky but I'm beginning to be able to streamline the process.
I noticed later that whoever wrote the files put in SOAP_MAKING as a skill... I think it's either SOAPMAKER or SOAPMAKING (probably the latter). No underscore... I'm guessing (unless you fixed it) that you're having the wrong dwarves running to get themselves killed... I also noticed that "sacrificing" them doesn't always kill them, disappointingly.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2012, 02:01:51 pm »

and a dragon (it went straight into a cage trap, no idea what to do with it).
Train it! Train it! You can tame and train dragons now and use them in your army. Or, better - capture a mate and get dragon breeding going.

This!  But whatever you do, DO NOT LET THE DRAGON OUT OF ITS CAGE.  It WILL revert, burn down your house, and slaughter your peeps.  Once you train it allow it to revert inside its cage.  Rinse, repeat.  This may take a while, but heck, you've got a megaproject going on.  Do whatever you can to train up your trainers and make sure the best has dragon duty.
At last, she is done.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »

While the dwarves don't always die in the sacrifice reaction I compensated by reducing the number of block it produced and making the dwarf produce blocks until one kills it. The problem is that the reaction can damage or destroy block already in the workshop, I think making several altars and giving a sac job at each and have the dwarf go around them until he keels over might be a fix for that. I'll have to check the soap making tag, I thought it was working but I noticed a dwarf without soap enabled kept trying to kill himself earlier on.

As for the dragon, none of my trainers have any experience because the life cycle of an animal in DeathWorks the Throne of Bones consists of arriving and being chopped up into little bits. If the handlers can train up their skill on the dragon then it might work, I'll look into it.

The All Guardsmen Party

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2012, 05:55:35 pm »

you should definately get some of the more dangerous animals mildly trained and get them to breed. when adult pit them against whatever enemy and slaughter them if they get a name. Or slaughter them if they're weak in the first case
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2012, 07:31:49 pm »

What method did you settle on for maximum de-stackification?  Shredder, plummet, something else?

As far as training goes, I don't see why you couldn't train your trainer up solely on the dragon.  Might take longer, but would require a minimum in micro-management.

Are you utilizing cavern wildlife in your constructions?  If so you could probably add in an intermediary training step between capture and blockification.  Useful offspring might be a worthwhile side-benefit, depending on how much you need the material and whether you want to restrict your construction to sapients.
At last, she is done.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2012, 07:49:52 pm »

I haven't bothered with the caverns yet, that's the next step after the wall. Wall > caverns > obsidian farm > megaproject

As for destackification, I didn't actually bother, my theory is that I have a fair bit more time to go before the bone stage of the project so I can just let them pile up with a minimum of extra effort.

The All Guardsmen Party
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6