Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Megabuild  (Read 1169 times)

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Megabuild
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:32:26 pm »

About to do my first megaproject. Right now I'm generating a new world (with 10000 embark points ^.^) and thinking about what I'm going to do. Ideas?
Update: 4/5/12 : 9:35 pm
So apparently, this one dwarf is just walking around with a huge, gaping hole in his chest, with a slightly smashed heart, and bleeding absolutely everywhere, and he is PUNCHING OUT ZOMBIES.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: First Megabuild
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:36:51 pm »

Heyaa, Moxxie. :) Glance through this - http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Megaproject - see anything you like?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:37:40 pm »

Make a huge pretty pit with dungeon at the bottom, in the dungeon is a necromancer behind fortifications and what you do is, dump rubbich down there for him to raise, when enough zombies are raised, use it as a sacrificial pit.

Bonuspoints:- Entomb your legendary warriors that die down their so that they get raised and slaughter endlessly.
Extrabonusfunstuff:- Make a hatch that leads to the curious underground structure for MORE undead goodness.
SUPERDWARVENMETABOLISMFATSTUFF:- Put a vampire down there and make it every square 1/7 (or 2/7) water for the blood to wash around in its goodness.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:41:08 pm »

A Sarlacc pit, complete with functional magma digestive-system.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:51:59 pm »

Create a fortress in a style similar to this excavated ant nest:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:57:43 pm »

First, build a 4x4 base, with an entrance and a central 2x2 stairwell. On top of that build a column at least 10 z-levels high out of gold or something similar. On top of this build an enormous disk, on which the dwellings of your dwarves shall be constructed. Set down two more pillars, one of which contains a set of pumps for drawing up water, the other magma. Set up a large number of ballistae on the rim to shoot down aerial invaders.

Bonus points:
Eventually, move all your dwarves onto the disc and destroy the original pillar.

If you can get enough water to flow up, then set up a perpetual waterfall over the rim of the disc.

If you can get enough magma to flow up, set up a perpetual magmafall over the rim of the disc.

If you can get enough water and enough magma, then make an obsidian generator that can drop chunks of obsidian onto any point of the map, set up underneath the disc (but still above ground obviously.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:46:45 am »

A Sarlacc pit, complete with functional magma digestive-system.
And repeating drawbridges around the edge, and going down the sloped entrance, to slowly toss victims into the maw.  You might need to add a bit of logic (or just an on/off lever) to keep the bridges from cycling when no one's around, as active drawbridges are damaging to FPS.

EDIT
Create a fortress in a style similar to this excavated ant nest:

Ages ago I built a fort that was a replica of a diagram of some of Walter Tschinkel's work I found in my myrmecology textbook.  It was a lot like this one, which I thought was already rather dwarflike:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:24:06 am by Sadrice »