Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

Author Topic: Rolling through space: A way to complicated RTD (6/10)(OOC/Discussion)  (Read 63335 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling through space: A way to complicated RTD (0/6)
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »

Can I be a crew member on someone's ship or something? >_> I'm balancing way too many (read: over 15) RPs and yet this one seems oddly entertaining (read: ridiculously complex and prone to violent explosions)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »

Do fighters have midsections? Also, is there a minimum number of crewmembers I need on my ship?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2012, 06:31:40 pm »

I dropped the fighter request.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2012, 06:35:21 pm »

I know, I'm just creating one because I love this system.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2012, 06:52:31 pm »

Please note that I put a hard cap on the budget at 25.000
I know. I'm actually trying to balance it for 10,000, it's just that 0-40 seemed reasonable costwise but then added an obscene amount of heat management, power, and engine capacity concerns, which in turn increase each other.

Besides a 0-40 gun seems like something that has a good chance of tearing a ship apart in 2-3 turns.
Oh good, I'm glad to hear that. I was worried about exactly how powerful the weapons would need to be to actually, you know, function.

Also note that if a weapon fails to make it through the shield, it does no hull damage.
The current plan, which will obviously need massive revision, is to have two 0-40 anti-armor cannons and a 1200-range 0-40 shield-eating plasma thrower. Before that I was giving the cannons 10 shield damage for precisely this reason.

Can I be a crew member on someone's ship or something? >_> I'm balancing way too many (read: over 15) RPs and yet this one seems oddly entertaining (read: ridiculously complex and prone to violent explosions)
If you submit a character, when one or more of us finally gets around to actually building a damned ship in the first place, they'll then select crew members from those available.

So, maybe. There are no "minor NPCish" roles available, though; not controlling a ship is standard issue.

Do fighters have midsections? Also, is there a minimum number of crewmembers I need on my ship?
According to the spoiler, maximum size for a fighter is 150. Since that's also the minimum section size, I would assume not.

This does remind me, however, that a primary ship could potentially benefit from putting part of its budget into separate shuttles, probes, or similar. If they weren't expressly prohibited to crewmen, you could even get a decently useful vessel out of 1000 credits.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2012, 08:55:36 pm »

Ok, new edit. This time the cost skyrocketed, but with some tweaks I'll get it under the 25 000 budget. Do you have any tips on where to cut costs, Irony?

Spoiler: Ship; Godsplitter (click to show/hide)

Way better than last time! But I still need help.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2012, 09:00:55 pm »

Well, for one I'm sure you don't need life support.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:10 pm »

From what I understood, life support seems to equal living quarters.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:11 pm »

They can sleep in the weapon pods.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2012, 09:39:23 pm »

It also equals food, water and basic supplies for human survival, although sleeping in the weapons' pods does not seem a bad idea.
>Yes?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »

Food? They are weak. They should be able to subsist themselves on pure machismo.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2012, 10:44:01 pm »

Do you have any tips on where to cut costs, Irony?

Passive radar: 105 (-525)
Active radar: 110 (-550)

HE MissilesX20 (5-piece stack=45): 180 (-2920)

Remote control: 61 (-1220)

-HE Missiles : Total Price (-146)
 Size: 45
 batteries: 2 (-20)
 Heatsink: 1 (-10)
 Conventional warhead: 25 [2-10 shield damage, 3- 10 armor damage] (-9)
 Vasimir:10 (-100)
 Booster:7 (-7)

Jumpdrive: 97 (-4850)
Shield generator: 200 (-3000)

Deck 2: 360/360 (-1000)

Laser: 160 (-800)
-Stats
 Accuracy: 20x5%
 Piercing chance: 20x2%
 Damage vs shields: 0-12
 Damage vs armor:  0-12

Nuclear generator: 250 (-2500)

Deck2: 357/360 (-1000)

Flakturret: 5sizex2=10 (-1000)
Laserdefense: 5sizex3=15 (-750)

External docking clamp: 15sizex4=60 (-1500)
Yeah.

Are you sure there's a point to having both active and passive radar?

Missiles are expensive. Are you sure you want to use them?

Pretty sure remote controls only need to go on things that aren't in the ship that you want remote-controlled from afar. Or possibly things you don't want to have to leave the bridge to activate, but even then I'm thinking that's the whole point of a bridge.

Your missiles have VASIMIRS, a slow-accelerating, efficient, eventually high-speed engine. Are you positive you want missiles that are designed for ridiculously long ranges like that, and that you shouldn't just put nothing but boosters on them?

Your missiles are also good against both shields and armor. You might want to specialize them for one or the other, since they're expensive and thus, presumably, the sort of things you bring out when the time is just right, not fire indiscriminately at any and all foes under any and all circumstances.

Your jump drive is 20% of your budget. This probably means the rest of your ship is just plain too big.

Shields are nice to have, but they're also massive power hogs and heat producers, in addition to being expensive. You might consider trimming them, if you're desperate for cash.

Crap. Do decks really cost an extra amount per section? That's going to screw me over if so.

100% Accuracy, 40% Pierce, 0-12 Armor, 0-12 Shields Lasers are Size 160, cost 800 credits, eat 800 energy and thus produce 400 heat. Cannons with identical stats are Size 182, cost 364 credits, consume 182 energy and produce 91 heat. I know I was just telling you that your ship is probably too big, but I'm guessing the 80 credits you'd have to spend buying more VASIMIRS and a jump drive to haul that around is less than the 220 credits you'd need to spend on 88 more radiators to bleed off the heat or the 440 credits you'd need to spend on another 44 nuclear reactors to power the damn things, especially since both of those would then require more engines and jump drives than the cannons themselves would.

Even if you rely on heat sinks and batteries for combat operations, that's about 100 extra credits a shot, half for 5 batteries, half for 5 heat sinks.

Speaking of which, you might consider your power generation. If you had any idea how/if it was working in the first place, that is. Assuming you've got more reactors and radiators than you need for peaceful operations, for instance, you could just carry around a bunch of batteries and heat sinks for combat (heat sinks especially, since leaving radiators in the open is arguably a bad idea).

Do we really need 5 turrets? It's eating a big piece of your budget, and seems a bit excessive.

Your external docking clamp can only hold a 600 size ship and is still expensive. I'd recommend making it large enough to actually be useful if you're going to bother with it at all, but at this point I'd recommend going for an internal dock and a transport shuttle that's small enough to connect to almost anyone else's dock, if they have one at all.

10ebbor10, is the extra deck cost in total or per section? Like, if I've got and Aft and Fore section, and three decks on each, is the total cost (0+1000+1500=2500) 2500 or ([0*2]+[1000*2]+[1500*2]=5000) 5000?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2012, 10:49:50 pm »

I thought the ship actually to be pretty small. And I think that each extra deck is purchased for a specific section, as I did in my ship.

I would also like the GM's opinion on my battleship.

And the docking clamps are four, for smaller ships (fighters).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:52:16 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:39 pm »

And the docking clamps are four, for smaller ships (fighters).
I'm dubious of the utility of being able to dock with four separate fighters that we have no method of refueling or repairing. I wouldn't think we'd be using them routinely in that case, but if not why have four?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2012, 11:05:15 pm »

I'll try to modify the design once more then. The main problem about internal docks is this:
-Launch shute
Price:1*size
Effects: Allows you to construct internal docks. Max capacity= Launch shute size.
Note: can be closed to prevent other ships from targetting it. Weapon/dock/engine non functionall when closed.
-Internal dock
Price: 10*size
Max docked ship size: 90% hangar size
You have to have both of them. I want to have fighters because there are PCs which are geared towards it and some may even have fighters of their own.
By the way I am enjoying the challenge. Building a fighter must also be a cool puzzle, and I hope one of the crewmen manages to come up with a model. Which remembers me: If you have a fighter model as a suggestion, you can post it, I am accepting ideas, because building this huge-ass ship is already taking a lot of my brain capacity.

Edit: I'll probably try to build a small dock inside and clamps outside, so that damaged fighters may take turns in being repaired.

As for the missiles, I want to Macross Missile Massacre my enemies.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:08:26 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44