Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: No Migrants. No Traders.  (Read 4910 times)

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Migrants. No Traders.
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:13 pm »

So I found an awesome embark. Volcano, lots of EVERY metal (5x5 on 3 different biomes converging on the volcano, extremely thick levels between cavern layers), looks cool, etc. I get setup. Build a superhighway made of silver going from the the center of the volcano to all 4 edges of the map. In one case building a 50 tile long 3 tile wide bridge to reach the edge. In another using a series of ramps to get down to the z level. But ever since I got the second migrant wave, I've been getting the "attracted no migrants this season" message. And while the elves and humans have come and gone, I've yet to see a dwarf trade caravan. So does this mean my civilzation is extinct? And that my fuck awesome embark is doomed to only have 22 dwarves?
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Migrants. No Traders.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:13:03 pm »

Start a breeding program!

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:13:26 pm »

Sounds like it. You could always map a copy and check legends mode.

How many civilizations do you have in your world? You could always restart with a new one if you kept the original save, or alternatively you could abandon and then re-embark with a non-extinct civ. Using DFHack’s lair thingy your items wouldn’t scatter.

Or you could go at it with just 22 and eke out a desperate struggle for survival against the odds.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:15:51 pm »

change [CHILD:12] to something less, in the creature_standard.txt in your DATA\SAVE\REGIONx\RAW

I play with [CHILD:4], and childcap [10:50]. I started with 14 dwarves (7 starting and 7 immigrants), before hitting pop cap 10.
I'm up to 40 dwarves now.
I think it's pretty fun to form family clans that way.

I would hate having no dwarf merchants though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:17:32 pm »

Just checked legends. One dwarf civilization on the entire planet. And theyre dead. FML. Oh well. I'm sure I'll find a sweet embark again. And 22 dwarfs isn't enough to stave off the shit I've modded in. Not a one of my 22 are a Fafnir or Lit. So the Muspel will just burn my fort to the ground when they inevitably show up.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:19:46 pm »

You have the only 22 dwarves alive on the entire planet. The 22 last of their entire kind. You can't let them die off, you simply must re-establish dwarven supremacy.

Couldn't you regenerate the world using seeds but getting a different history so that the dorfs don't all die off?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:20:41 pm »

Or you could go at it with just 22 and eke out a desperate struggle for survival against the odds.

FTW!!

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:29:32 pm »

Think I'll hang onto the site and see how long I can last. The first siege from a genuinely dangerous army will likely rape my fort unless I cut contact with the surface. But that's non-dwarfy. I've got a 3x3 block of weapon traps with 10 stone mauls each on each highway. So it should go a ways to evening the odds. Stopped butchering dogs for meat and will see if I can simply overwhelm my enemies with warhounds.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 01:52:38 pm »

Also:
Try putting a cage in the middle of your trap hallway, and fill it with cats.  The invaders will be slowed down by the horde, giving the traps more time to work them over.

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:54:21 pm »

I was thinking of the same thing, only with dozens of wardogs. May even take a few goblins out as they get slaughtered.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 02:01:02 pm »

I was thinking of the same thing, only with dozens of wardogs. May even take a few goblins out as they get slaughtered.
Yeah.....goblins don't exist in my version. I have: Fuckhuge Ice Giants. Fuck huge Fire Giants (that breath fire). And the necromancer/lovecraftian nightmare cavern apocalypse.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 02:03:36 pm »

In that case, just go with the cat bomb. The war dogs can run in to pick off the survivors of the traps.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 02:05:02 pm »

Carve a long, winding path to be the only way to get into your fortress.  Set up a marksdwarf bunker that overlooks that path with a "shutter" of a drawbridge that covers up the fortifications for the marksdwarves so they can't see the enemy long enough to reload, and make the bunker face the very long switchback path.

Now add a repeater and all the menacing spikes you can muster.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 02:33:58 pm »

Survived first Hrimthur ambush. Down to 18 living dwarves. Three won't last it through the night. I hope. We don't need cripples draining supplies in Curseblow. Managed to obtain a couple of saltwater crocs from traders. So 15 dwarves. 2 crocs. 10 dogs. Against the world. Forever.

Edit: LIVE CRIPPLES LIVE! My blacksmith, my legendary mason, my glassmaker.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:35:42 pm by Schizotek »

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 02:41:37 pm »

My blacksmith is missing a buttcheek. Poor guy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pages: [1] 2 3