Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post your best battles here!  (Read 2028 times)

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post your best battles here!
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:30:15 am »

Be they in world gen or ingame, post them here!

I'll start off with this gem.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your best battles here!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:32:29 am »

defaq
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:59:43 am »

Hell, Tholtig herself didn't take those odds (Yes, I know how the game does world gen battles). Additionally, she was in steel, compared to elven wood. Nako fought better armed dwarves, and still took down that many.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:26:54 am »

Hell, Tholtig herself didn't take those odds (Yes, I know how the game does world gen battles). Additionally, she was in steel, compared to elven wood. Nako fought better armed dwarves, and still took down that many.

I'm assuming you mean you know how the odds like that could be still perfectly in the one defender's favor. For those who don't:

Worldgen, at the moment, treats all battles as a series of duels between the attackers and defenders. This works fine in equal numbers, but this means that generally, one legendary +5 warrior would take down 1,000,000 novice ones with little difficulty. That's why that Puzzleminded demon chick was able to take on over 70,000 warriors during worldgen in one guy's save: They would all attack one at a time and get megadeaded, whereas if they had attacked in groups she probably would have gone down easy.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:17 am »

Yes, I did. Still, it does look impressive.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:25:10 pm »

It's things like this that make me sad that I have to keep the little fellas locked up in cages all the time.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:50:08 pm »

It's things like this that make me sad that I have to keep the little fellas locked up in cages all the time.

Really? I just throw them into a pit of 4-5 z levels, which won't kill them, but allow them to escape, broken.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:34 am »

But I don't want them to escape! :(
I want them to realize the joys and wonders of being directly under my command, and be able to roam freely among my dwarves without a deep-rooted desire for vengeance and bloodshed. So, until they learn to play nice, they'll be stuck within the confines of their fabulous luxury cages.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:39:26 am »

I had a crundle kill a war kobold once.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:14:07 am »

i have a swordsdwarf who in combat, lost his lower left arm fighting goblins. he proceeded to decapitate the goblin fighting him, and stab another in the heart. a goblin stabs him in the right arm with a spear from behind, he drops his sword. he whips around, kicking the goblin in the head, killing him, kicks another goblin twice, once in the lower body making the goblin vomit, and a second kick to the head. a third goblin recived a kick to the leg, and got his throat torn out by the dwarfs teeth. he then proceeded to walk to another goblin, unconscious for it's wounds, and curbstomps it, killing it.

he has recovered the use of his right arm, and is my deadliest military dwarf ATM.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:30:52 am »

Well, there was the time a bronze colossus attacked the fort. Wasn't anywhere near ready to deal with it so I just pulled up the bridge and waited. At which point I got a siege and a group of migrants all at once. The colossus pounded the siege to bits, and almost all of the migrants died in the crossfire. One of the remaining migrants, a fish cleaner if I recall correctly, started running in circles around the map, with the colossus chasing him. Once they got to the far corner I lowered the bridge, allowing the two surviving migrants to make a break for it and get inside. The fish cleaner led the colossus straight into a troll I hadn't known even existed, the colossus went for the troll, and the troll somehow managed to kill the colossus in a single blow. The fish cleaner casually beheaded the troll and strolled inside. And we had a lovely masterwork bronze statue for the rest of the fort's existence...

Not exactly a fluffy wambler, but still pretty cool.

clarithium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:26:14 am »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 06:00:47 am »

I had a dwarf get disembowled by a pack of giant rats, just about... Shaken around by the lower body for hours until he became enraged, and in amidst the fits of pain and unconsciousness he dealt shatteringly powerful blows to each rat, smashing limbs, critically injuring them and finally after days of this he managed to defeat all five rats before fainting and being taken to hospital (in amidst Urist McCoward cancels Recover Wounded: Interrupted by Giant Rat).

He survived the surgery, and was given a huge room and tomb for his efforts. I've never seen a dwarf fight so hard to stay alive before.

Another occasion was Morul, a hunter of mine who took on a Voracious Cave Crawler 1v1 with bone bolts and won, after having her leg and foot ripped off. Two shots was all it took - one miss, shaken about by the leg, flew away and hit an obstacle, becoming stunned, fired another bolt which killed the VCC instantly, before she finally gave into pain.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 07:17:58 am »

This.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I locate this guy, he gets a seat of honor in the war room for helping fend off a siege
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 07:27:32 am »

The most epic combat logs I remember are from 31.25, when one of my forts was going through a tantrum spiral. A miserable clothier went into berserk rage, and started fighting with a child. They were on the surface, quite far from my main fortress, so I thought that the child would be a goner, but sent my military to dispatch the clothier nevertheless.

The fight went pretty much as expected: the clothier battered the child for a while, eventually breaking his neck. The child was already suffocating, but the berserker started strangling him with the left lower arm. The strangling continued until a legendary swordsdwarf arrived; the first stab removed the clothier's right arm, and another slash severed a leg. The clothier fell down, still strangling the child. He didn't let go until his left arm was removed, too.

So, on the same tile on the ground, there was a suffocating child and a triple-amputated berserking clothier. As his last effort, the clothier kicked the child in the head with his remaining foot, shattering the skull, jamming the skull through the brain, and tearing apart the brain. The swordsdwarf did not score another hit, as the clothier bled to death in two steps after that.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.
Pages: [1] 2