Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 2881 times)

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Now what?
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:34:44 pm »

Well now what?

I just tried to have "fun" with my fortress of 300 dwarfs by opening the "clown bus".

The clowns came out by the dozens (nearly causing FPS death actualy) and shortly there after a forgotten beast came into the caverns.

The clowns and forgotten beast went at eachother and most of the clowns died. The ones that were left were crippled and the forgotton beast was crippled.

My dwarfs cleaned up the rest.

I survived with less then 30 casualties... (most of them stupid idiots who wanted to see demons so they ran at them unarmed).

Now what?

Im a newb, this is my 4th fortress, its been going for 20 years and nothing has been able to destroy it dispite all the missmanagement (a waterfall has a kill count of 150 dwarfs) and tantrums. Discarded cloths everywhere, its crazy...

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 09:38:00 pm »

loyalty cascade

Multiplicity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:42:56 pm »

Must have been on beastly beast. A recent fort of mine had a forgotten beast lobster (lobster of some sort) spawn directly in hell. Poor lobster didn't even last two turns before it was obliterated into a bloodstain.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:55:24 pm »

Must have been on beastly beast. A recent fort of mine had a forgotten beast lobster (lobster of some sort) spawn directly in hell. Poor lobster didn't even last two turns before it was obliterated into a bloodstain.

It was compleatly disabled and all it could do was shoot webs, but it still took 60 dwarf troops half a bloody hour to kill the blasted thing. The few clowns left alive put up less of a fight then the beast did (but they unlike the beast actualy caused the casualties).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:58:19 pm »

I had the same thing happen multiple times in 0.31, but they were always happy to co-exist with the demons.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:47:13 am »

I suppose you could take on the humans and completely cut yourself from the outside world by raiding even the dwarven trade wagons.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:35:16 am »

you could (heresy, I know) just abandon and start over somewhere else.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 02:31:18 am »

i agree with srd, take on the humans, and the elves, (never your own dwarf kind) and wipe the floor with them. make some form of trap that involves dropping them into clown town to try to survive with whatever else is down there :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 02:34:56 am »

(a waterfall has a kill count of 150 dwarfs)

Build a monument to the waterfall, all the whilst under siege.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 02:35:26 am »

5 years in... I'm at the same point.

Would I need to use dfhack to add in the human liason guy, or will killing off their caravans do the trick?

Goblins for some reason aren't sieging me, just ambushes. Getting really bored:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:05 am »

I always wonder how the heck people can get bored in this game. You can build stuff, you know. Epic stuff.

I mean, yes, I've gotten bored of forts before, but usually not until I've either failed miserably at getting them over the survival hump, or turned the map into some kind of monolith-strewn carnival.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 02:59:22 am »

I always wonder how the heck people can get bored in this game. You can build stuff, you know. Epic stuff.

I mean, yes, I've gotten bored of forts before, but usually not until I've either failed miserably at getting them over the survival hump, or turned the map into some kind of monolith-strewn carnival.

Ya... Working on the Giza Plateau, now. I think it's just a thing for me, same for SimCity, Sims,... Any game, really. I enjoy the initial setup, getting it going. Once it's running smooth, booze out the wazoo, tons of food, awesome rooms for everyone... I get bored:p

Hmmm... Think I'll go breach HFS. Make em come out the pyramid. Equip all my dwarves with steel armor and weapons, and burrow them outside the pyramid.

EDIT: Na, got bored. Breached the volcano in several points, flooded the map with magma. Didn't know trees didn't burn. Very interesting, seeing them standing unharmed in 7/7 of magma.

Heh. "The impertinent magma has defaced a Urist McLegendaryEngraver!"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:21:29 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »

you could (heresy, I know) just abandon and start over somewhere else.

Thats what I did.

I suppose you could take on the humans and completely cut yourself from the outside world by raiding even the dwarven trade wagons.

Only Dwarf Caravans, nothing else. Nobody to get angry at me and seige me.

Build a monument to the waterfall, all the whilst under siege.

In 24 (game) years of playing not one single seige, which is the problem. Even that once and a while challenge would really solve the problem.

I reached a point where nothing was happening anymore at all, everything was built, clowns defeated, nothing could destroy the fort. So I abandoned it and started anew near a gobling civ. HOPEFULLY I will get a bloody SEIGE! Unfortunetly I seem to be a different dwarf civilization this time... blast.

Made for some interesting histroy for legends mode. There are several named Elk Birds that came from that city, and died in that city. And I think one named mole.

Also, I tried adventurer mode, I have yet to survive into day three.

The Fortress peaked at 300 dwarfs doing 30 FPS. Quiet happy for my 4th fortress, my next one is already much better. :)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »

Just for future information, you can choose your Dwarven civ during the embark preparation.  It's on the site location screen, on a display reached by TAB-ing.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.