Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: TPN OOC-ish thing  (Read 8620 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: TPN OOC-ish thing
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 12:41:13 am »

Eh, I generally take the position that I (the player) am free to metagame however I want as long as I (the character) don't let the metagame put me OOC. So if I (the character) have a decision to make and one branch of that is the reasonable one given the knowledge I (the player) have, I'll generally take it, if it makes sense in-universe. That's the best balance I've found between powergaming/munchkining and being suicidally dedicated to no meta knowledge RP.
This always felt cheesy to me. It more or less means your character is incredibly lucky, which isn't usually something I appreciate in characters.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 09:59:47 am »

Except for all the potential for screwups if you don't share a mind with the GM.  :P

But I will note that I generally lean toward the RP end of the scale. I'd rather have something interesting happen than make it past every conflict better off. To clarify what I meant, I was talking about things like this: If I (player) know that a big, glowy red thing is evil and will curse me, I (character) won't touch it, for fairly obvious reasons. Not stuff like "Throughout life, two paths diverged in a yellow wood; the left lead to treasure, the other to a dragon's lair, and I always took the left."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 10:58:36 am »

Except for all the potential for screwups if you don't share a mind with the GM.  :P

But I will note that I generally lean toward the RP end of the scale. I'd rather have something interesting happen than make it past every conflict better off. To clarify what I meant, I was talking about things like this: If I (player) know that a big, glowy red thing is evil and will curse me, I (character) won't touch it, for fairly obvious reasons. Not stuff like "Throughout life, two paths diverged in a yellow wood; the left lead to treasure, the other to a dragon's lair, and I always took the left."

In the case of D&D and games like that, even if I personally know that something is evil but my character doesn't know about it being evil I'll just walk into it. Sometimes it's facepalm worthy, but if they aren't suppose to know I don't act on it. It makes for a more realistic character, which is kind of a RPing ideal. Why RP if you ignore what they should or shouldn't know?

On the other hand your character will live a lot longer if you occasionally avoid walking blindly into evil things. I can see the advantage of it, but it's not something I'd do.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

To further clarify: I will avoid doing things that are obviously stupid. In other words, if I were the character, with no meta knowledge, I still wouldn't do. There isn't much of a difference between "I see a fire. I stick my hand in it to see what happens." and "I see a big, disturbing portal. I stick my hand in it to see what happens." Unless I'm RPing as a child, a risktaker, or someone who is extremely naive, I won't do things that would be obviously stupid in-universe.

3. Run Resize Enable

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »

To further clarify: I will avoid doing things that are obviously stupid. In other words, if I were the character, with no meta knowledge, I still wouldn't do. There isn't much of a difference between "I see a fire. I stick my hand in it to see what happens." and "I see a big, disturbing portal. I stick my hand in it to see what happens." Unless I'm RPing as a child, a risktaker, or someone who is extremely naive, I won't do things that would be obviously stupid in-universe.

Agreed. I meant if I met someone evil that someone else met I would react as if nothing happened until they prove themselves evil. I don't have characters that do unreasonably stupid things unless they had no idea that it was a bad idea.

As an example I drew a monster picture for a GM in a forum game. When the monster came up I ignored the fact that I knew what the monster was because there was no way for the character to have ever met the monster before. It was dark and he saw the light that the monster was making, so he walked up to the monster to see what the light was and was almost trampled and eaten before he could run away. It was reasonable for the character yet I personally knew that he might die.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 03:35:35 pm »

The deep philosophies of RP versus Meta.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 05:02:52 pm »

Eh, it's my fault for being incapable of clearly stating my position on things like this the first time around.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 05:45:26 pm »

I'd say that it also depends on the DM/GM. RP focused gameplay requires an RP focused setting; you won't get far in a Survival Horror or challenge oriented game without blatant metagaming.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 06:02:43 pm »

You won't get far in a Survival Horror or challenge oriented game without blatant metagaming.

I'd say that it really depends on the GM as well. Well done survival horror narrative tells you what's dangerous before you do something stupid. If you need to metagame to survive those then the GM isn't giving you enough information to work with or your character isn't watching for the right things (traps, slime, etc.). You should be able to walk into the first encounter without any real problems unless the GM really hints that it might be dangerous (blood everywhere). Otherwise your character would be overcautious without any reason.

Anyways we should use this for OOC chatter. This discussion is going nowhere since it's discussing something that is almost completely different from GM to GM.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 08:24:53 pm »

I'm going for a 100% lack of meta-knowledge. As such, I have refrained from reading everyone else's actions/updates. Games like this are better that way.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 08:38:04 pm »

I'm going for a 100% lack of meta-knowledge. As such, I have refrained from reading everyone else's actions/updates. Games like this are better that way.

The only problem about that is that sometimes I omit information if it was immediately above >.>

Better not do that from now...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 08:38:09 pm »

Not really. It gets incredibly disorienting in games like this when you need to synch up interactions, and without having both parties meta it, either the GM has to railroad the two together, or one party is stuck doing all of the work. Plus, it's pretty boring only reading your own turns and actions, and gives a sort of rushed feeling when you post.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 10:20:35 pm »

Is it just me or have characters already slept at least once? I feel as if I'm behind everyone in a timeline of actions.

Oh and if dusk is still far away I'll just have a short nap.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 10:26:09 pm »

I don't think more than two hours have gone by for my character.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 10:48:19 pm »

Mier has slept once already and is currently at around 2:00 pm of the day after waking up at the namu. I'm pretty sure at least one other person has slept.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6