Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Know any good fast-paced games?  (Read 14598 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Know any good fast-paced games?
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:39:41 am »

When looking for a new game to play, I often stop by this board, the bay12 community has helped me discover lots of awesome games and I am once again stopping by. I don't usually need to start a new thread, but a quick search did not reveal any results fitting my needs.

I am looking for high action fast-paced game suggestions. Games in which the action is blindingly fast and/or in which you are constantly doing things, keeping you engaged. Bonus points if the games are challenging(I'm a sucker for difficulty).
Here are some examples I've played.
Zone of the Enders 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?index=16&feature=PlayList&v=dXxjhAMeWuA&list=PLC5CF31293FC83BCE
Vanquish
Armored Core series(sadly the 4's were too simplified)
Tetris
Noitu Love 2
Devil May Cry series
Various fighting games(those don't keep you busy or interested long though)
Probably a bunch I'm forgetting
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Know any good fast-paced games?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:20:11 am »

I suggest Red Eclipse.  It is a multiplayer FPS that is very fast, and in which you constantly do things.  It is also kind of challenging to get a the movement system down, but most of the challenge comes from the fact that a large proportion of players are very good at it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:38:37 pm »

try gunmetal if you can, mecha shooting action game (one of the few per pc!), wery vell done.

there are a couple of non action oriented mission, but the most of it is action packed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08w6Z-V-ns&feature=relmfu

note that this seems not on the hardest difficulty (or maybe he's really good at it  :P )

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:08:33 pm »

Quake Live and to an extent; Tribes: Ascend are some fast paced shooters. Tribes might keep your interest for longer as it has a persistent unlock system. Cart life is part tedium simulator, part frantic retail simulator, and all brilliant. Cart life is quite buggy, but it's still great. Uplink is a game made in 2001, set in the near future of 2010 that is mostly exhilarating hacking to further your own wallet, and for (spoiler). Uplink is quite good, as it turns out. Audiosurf is a constant (perhaps in more ways than one at times) torrent of AAAHWHATISTHATWATISGOINGONAAHIDIEDWATTEFAKAAAAH, whereing you attemp to beat other people's high scores of AAAHWHATISTHATWATISGOINGONAAHIDIEDWATTEFAKAAAAHing to your own music library. If you somehow don't have a single song on your computer, it comes with some tunes already.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:03:10 pm »

Rumble Box (freeware) - beat down blocky enemies and use their blocky bodies to climb out of the box.
Metal Slug series - you die in one hit unless in a vehicle and stuff gets pretty hectic.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:08:25 pm »

Ninja Gaiden.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:57:44 am »

I'm not a huge fan of competitive FPS's, there's very little interesting being done with those, I play one of two games of that type and they're all I need in that department.

try gunmetal if you can, mecha shooting action game (one of the few per pc!), wery vell done.

I've played Gun Metal ages ago when it came out, and while it was a decent game, we probably don't have the same definition of fast paced here since that game is mostly comprised of repetitive lenghty strafing runs while holding/mashing the same barrel roll button.

Thanks klingon13524 for reminding me of Uplink and Audiosurf. Two amazing games I've played lots of in the past, might revisit them.

Rumble Box (freeware) - beat down blocky enemies and use their blocky bodies to climb out of the box.
Metal Slug series - you die in one hit unless in a vehicle and stuff gets pretty hectic.

I've played every Metal Slug game I could lay my hands on, usually with friends for hilarious fun times. As for Rumble Box, it's fun, but it's not the kind of thing that holds your attention long, maybe a coffee break game.

Ninja Gaiden.

The ninja gaiden games hold a special place in my black, shriveled gamer heart, it's been a long love/hate relationship. I'm just sad that the quality of the games has dropped.

I'm still at square one. Maybe I'm just too picky, maybe I've played too many of the good fast paced games and very few are left. Still, the suggestions so far are great and took me down gamer memory lane, that's a good thing. If anyone has any more suggestions throw them at me, I'll never have enough of these kind of games.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:00:10 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 09:00:22 am »

Download MAME. Problem solved. :P

(Also the most recent Ninja Gaiden is a travesty)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:01:40 am »

Well, you can always go on a flash gaming site, the games usually dont last long, but some of them are hectic and lots of fun!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:12:51 am »

I am not usually a fan of a twitchy games but I was pretty addicted to "House of dead ninjas" flash platformer. You'll probably want to turn of cheesy sound effects and leave only music.
Gosh, I never sounded that much like a spambot before.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 09:19:23 am »

Speaking of Flash games, there's Madness: Project Nexus. A bit on the easy side at first, but it gets challenging if you play on hard difficulty.

ItinerantWraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 02:11:34 pm »

Geometry Wars

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 03:21:31 pm »

well 'fast paced' is usually contextual, many a game is simutaneously fast and slow paced depending on which players you ask but:

Mount & Blade (maybe not in the way you were thinking, but regardless)

Men of War (gets fast when shit gets real {Only in multiplayer})

BF3 I guess

Arma 2 OA (Depends on the server really and sometimes takes a while to get into combat, but things DO get frantic)

None of these games may be fast enough for you.

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:48 pm »

How about most of the bullet hell genre? Or, for the slightly less 'hell' type, how about Beat Hazard or Really Big Sky?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 04:41:05 pm »

If you're looking for a somewhat fast-pace game, Realm Of the Mad God might interest you. it can be categorized as a Co-op Bullet hell MMO. you have to always move to stay alive. although not always fast pace, certain bosses and areas will keep you on your toes.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...
Pages: [1] 2