Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One of those annoying "suggest me a game" threads...  (Read 2744 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
One of those annoying "suggest me a game" threads...
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:07:19 am »

Hey B12.

I need a game to play. I have exhausted my collection and am on a bit of a hiatus from DF, and my brain needs something to make it tick. I recently revisited the early Total War games, and had a lot of fun, but Shogun is a bit limited and Medieval is buggy as hell on this laptop and suffered from frequent CTD's relating to GPU incompatability. What I would really like would be a RTS/TBS (in particular, games where you create or carve out a settlement/empire whilst competing with other entities), but I am willing to deviate a little for entertaining titles. Free would be a bonus, but readily availiable or obscure is no issue really. Ideally this title would be capable of being run on a limited 4 yr old laptop - it has issues trying to run EU3 (didnt seem to cope with the sheer size of the simulation and was too laggy to get into) and Rome: Total War (onboard GPU only not really cut out for large numbers of 3d objects) for example. Unsuprisingly graphics arent an issue at all - I can cope with Spreadsheet Wars if needs be. I would like suggested titles to be more about strategic elements of gameplay, rather than AoE/Starcraft style get the gold and make spearmen quickly type gameplay... so yes basically I want the moon on a stick.

Games I have already played too much:

• DF - duh
  • The Total War games, as already mentioned
  • The Homeworld series - loved and massivley modded these
  • The MOO series. As above
  • Civilization, Colonization and Alpha Centauri have taken up too much of my life already
  • Aurora: I appreciate its brilliance, but just couldnt get past its "dryness"
  • AoE, Empire Earth, Cossacks et al - *I now have enough gold*
  • Battle for Wesnoth - campaing modes done, and the multiplayer community is full of a$$hats who fall into toe "not fun unless its done my way and done seriously"

I have probably missed a few off that list, but I am sure they will come back to me as people kindly offer suggestions. If you could point out to me some of the major pros and cons of the games you suggest as well that would be really cool.

So, yea, thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give - I appreciate it.
This is a blank sig.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: One of those annoying "suggest me a game" threads...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:17 am »

Three TBSs come to mind. Well, four, but I have no experience whatsoever with the fourth. All are quite capable of running on older machines, though in HoMM's case you'd have to look to an older version for that.

Age of Wonders
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is a TBS with both empire-building and relatively small army battles. It's a bit limited in both cases, though; the empire building is more upgrading your cities and occasionally capturing or founding new ones, plus seizing resource nodes to boost your empire's production.

Units move overland in stacks of up to 8 units on a hex grid, which switches to a still-hex battlefield map when two armies fight. Any force adjacent to the fighting stacks is pulled in, meaning you could theoretically surround a lone stack with six stacks of your own. In practice, stacks of around three per side are the biggest that are routinely feasible.

Units can level up, but only to silver or gold medals, gaining a respectable but not huge bonus to stats and usually special abilities of varying special-ness. Heroes work slightly differently, manually selecting their benefit (a stat boost or special ability) each time they level (which is more than twice, obviously).

Also, you play as a wizard, so you can do wizard things. You research spells, which can then be cast by yourself and any heroes who happen to have casting skill. Heroes can only cast in battles (or stacks, in the case of noncombat spells) they happen to be in and are usually worse (less mana to spend) at it than you, who can cast it anywhere in their domain. Your domain is a big area around you which gets bigger with certain skills and buildings, as well as a small radius around every one of your heroes, assuming you have a tower in the city your wizard is in (also note your wizard can be killed like any other unit, but respawns in any wizard tower you control at the start of your next turn; if you don't have one, that's game over). Spells range from persistent overland effects to permanent summons to direct battlefield attacks, plus overland attacks, persistent unit buffs, healing, debuffing attacks, whole-battlefield effects, and so on.

Master of Magic?
I believe Master of Magic is sometimes described as being similar, but I'm sadly not familiar with it.

Heroes of Might & Magic
The Heroes of Might&Magic series is similar, though, and I can describe that one vaguely. It's similar to AoW in that you run around an overland map, using a hero to lead an army in ambushing random creatures and collecting stray resources, but armies work completely differently. Instead of a given number of individual units, you just have a mass of X creatures represented as one said creature, which then hit and do special abilities in proportion to their strength. This also means damage can reduce a stack's effectiveness, since it often involves creatures dying.

It also features magic, but I believe this is entirely limited to heroes, and I'm less familiar with how it works.

Warlords
Finally, there's Warlords. I'm sadly only familiar with 4, but it's very vaguely similar to AoW or HoMM. The biggest differences are that cities are very, very common and that there is no strategic battlefield- during combat, you can cast spells if you've got the mana, but otherwise simply shovel your choice of next unit onto the battlefield, where it fights to the death, at which point whoever lost shovels their next unit on or the battle ends because everyone on one side is dead.

Magic is cast by the Warlord- the player- but tends to be somewhat limited in number. You won't be casting spells every battle, usually.

Cities function considerably differently than in the other two games. First of all, cities are common, and serve only two (well, three or four) functions: One, they produce units. Two, they produce gold. They're also fortified places to withstand an attack in and can be near enough to special overland buildings to claim their bonus for you. Producing units costs nothing but time- they simply require upkeep once existent, and more advanced units require cities to be of a given level to be available (leveling a city up costs gold and is the only method of upgrading them, other than razing other cities so they're the closest to an overland bonus structure).

Units also function differently. For starters, it's expected that you'll burn through them like there's no tomorrow, even though each one is a discrete unit with its own suite of stats. Secondly, the can level up repeatedly in identical fashion to heroes- it's just, as you might expect, rather rare and not particularly valuable for most units. Heroes, in addition to having nice stats and the ability to equip items, are good for armies because they have- depending on alignment- a skill to improve their own stack or hamper an enemy's stack.

Apologies if these are a bit rambling, I wasn't sure how to describe them in a more codified fashion.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:12:10 am »

Thank you - will have a look into them.
This is a blank sig.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:24:49 am »

I think I can suggest a few games. None of them are really "empire building" games, but they're pretty fun:

• AI War: Fleet Command - I found this particularly difficult as you start off at a fairly large disadvantage. Essentially, you play as humanity on the brink of destruction by a warfaring race of AIs(or something like that). When I played last, I remember starting with one planet and being totally surrounded by AI worlds.
  • DEFCON - Fairly simple compared to most modern RTS games. It's essentially a game of Global Thermonuclear War with the navy and airforce involved. You and your enemies exchange nuclear and ship-based fire(and nuclear submarine fire), and nuke stations can be set as defence stations to shoot down incoming missiles.
  • Darwinia - Simpler than DEFCON, but it's pretty damn difficult. You command these programs around in a virtual world that's overcome with viruses. I couldn't pass the second level I played in because I couldn't figure out how to get the darwinians from one island to another. A notable feature is that you can take control of your soldier program squads and manually tell them to fire on viruses(which is much more effective than letting the AI do it, I might add).
  • Frozen Synapse - Awesome strategy game. Turn-based game where virtual swat teams square off, but you don't know what your enemy is going to do, only the position of his units. You can only predict and tell your guys where to go. Also, there's no "Go back to my last turn" button. Whatever happens happens. I tried this for free on OnLive, it's amazing.
  • Gratuitous Space Battles - In the same vein as Frozen Synapse, but in space, and you can customize the weapons loadout of your individual ships. You can see what the enemy's formation will be, and attempt to predict what will happen and plan your fleet's formation accordingly. Catch is, this is the only real control you have over the fight; it's like watching a big Star Wars battle.

Now, if you aren't against RPGs, the Baldur's Gate series is quite fun. There's also the Icewind Dale series, which focuses more on combat rather than plot(For example, in BGII you could cause some characters to leave depending on what decisions you made, while in IWDII your followers were brainless gits and never even spoke to you, much less anyone else(unless you ordered them to)). They both involve a real-time method of play, with pausing included for tactics and planning during combat. There's even an option to auto-pause, turning it into more of a turn-based game.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:31:08 am »

I personally recommend Dominions 3. It's a turn based strategy game with auto-resolving battles; You give your troops placement orders and might que up a spell or two, but after that it's completely driven by the A.I.
The amount of spells is also HUGE in this game. I'm at work now so I can't write a lot but I really recommend the game :)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 04:45:29 am »

Thank you both. Will add those to the "will check them out" list.
This is a blank sig.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 04:54:20 am »

Europa Universalis III, Victoria II, Hearts of Irons II-III, Crusader Kings II. All Paradox games. Realtime grand srats. that will always test your mind. I'm personally rather found of EU3 but it depends on what time period/how indepth you like your games.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 05:24:23 am »

Not that I want to come across as "internet tough guy", but in my OP I mentioned that my laptop struggles to run EU3... though the others might be worth a look, I am not really a fan of the abstracted combat.
This is a blank sig.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 06:04:43 am »

• Civilization, Colonization and Alpha Centauri have taken up too much of my life already

"Fall From Heaven 2" civ mod? I know, it's boring to shout it everywhere, but it's probably the best 4x game currently done.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:13:33 am »

Call to Power (Civilization clone)
Sins of a solar empire (a cross between Homeworld and... Warcraft 3)
Heroes of Annihilated Empires (Cossacs with a Hero element (similar to Warcraft 3))
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 06:27:24 am »

Not that I want to come across as "internet tough guy", but in my OP I mentioned that my laptop struggles to run EU3... though the others might be worth a look, I am not really a fan of the abstracted combat.
My mistake I must of skipped over that part about EU3 somehow. HOI2/Victoria 2 should be lower on the requirements since they have a lot less civs (or so I am to believe). The early Europas are also much less taxing on the system so you could always go with For the Glory or (the terrible) EU: Rome.

Also not to sound like an internet douche but all the games you listed (except DF/TW/RTS) have extremely abstracted combat. The Paradox games are acutally fairly decently detailed when you check things like the flanks, phases and moral, it's slightly less RTD than the Civ games (althought it has it's own dice rolls).

If you're looking for a good netbook/multiplayer game I'll always list Freeciv as a great game.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 07:08:09 am »

Knights of honor (similar to the total war games and games like eu3 etc. Haven't played it in quite a while but it's surprisingly awesome).
Dominions 3
Ai war

Not sure what the laptop would think of these but:
Supreme commander - Forged alliance
Supreme ruler 2020 / Supreme ruler - Cold war (haven't played the second one but it seems very similar and entertaining)
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:41:06 am »

Conquests of Elysium 3. It's like Dominions 3 but without all the boring. This article will tell you all you need to know.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/02/13/conquest-of-elysium-3-give-the-necromancers-a-hand/

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:38 am »

And this one will give you an alternate take on CoE 3: http://www.indiegamemag.com/conquest-of-elysium-3-review-a-turn-for-the-worst/

IMO it's kind of sucky, if not quite as bad as they paint it. It can be entertaining for a while (though it will get boring fast), but it's not worth throwing 25 € at it, IMO.

If you want to get an idea of the game you can play CoE 2 for free. CoE 3 has some more options, some flavor changes, and the art is somewhat better, but it's not that different, all in all.  TBH it's the kind of game I'd keep on my HD if it was cheaper, to fool around sporadically, but wouldn't play that much overall.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:17:46 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 11:37:18 am »

As suggested already, these are the kind of games that will get you busy for several more years, and so i can highly recommend them too as they continue to do the trick for me when it comes to destroy my small free time ;)

And they run very well on any kind of even older computers or laptops :

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (the best of the serie, very replayable and tons of things for it)
Master of Magic (run very well with DOSBox nowadays)
Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (my favorite of the serie, but the 2 is good too)
Disciples 2 (the 1st one is good too)
Pages: [1] 2