Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Videogame-Induced Pacifism?  (Read 7447 times)

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame-Induced Pacifism?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »

I wasn't allowed to play violent computer games until I was 15 and by that tme I'd lost interest in violence for violence's sake. I don't like looking at violent games, I find it offensive. Luckily, a lot of games I like have a text file for particle settings or something similar so one can play without the blood. :p

I don't know whether playing violent games will make you a more violent person, I would lean towards that it does but to such a negligable degree that it doesn't really matter. I can't speak for video games, but there have been studies done regarding women who read women's magazines and in general these women are a lot more worried about their looks on average, even those who were quite intelligent; if someone's exposed to something being "normal" for a long amount of time then it affects one's subconscious, I think games like GTA where violence is portrayed as an ordinary thing could be harmful, but like I said, I also believe the effects are negligable, no person is going to attack or berate another person because of a computer game, they may use it as a means or an inspiration but they would have to have some serious issues already to be motivated by what is at the end of the day, only a game.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 04:54:27 pm »

no person is going to attack or berate another person because of a computer game
Well, at least not any more than they would because of a real-life sports game.  Which is not infrequent.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 04:59:49 pm »

no person is going to attack or berate another person because of a computer game
Well, at least not any more than they would because of a real-life sports game.  Which is not infrequent.

I think the people that do this sort of thing, like I said, are just using the game as a means. People get angry about things in their lives and games can allow them to release that anger, very angry people might attack another person. I don't think 22 people kicking a ball around or whatever can anger someone, it's just an excuse, not a conscious one though.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 06:06:59 pm »

I wouldn't say that playing video games has increased my propensity for violence in any way really.  Doesn't make me feel more comfortable around it either.

Inside the games I will kill / beat up stuff as needed.  I pretty much always try to avoid unnecessary violence though, preferring to not kill innocents or optional enemies.  I also take minimally lethal playthroughs in games where this is practical (Deus Ex).  I really don't even like watching others do needlessly violent things in video games (in say, Grand Theft Auto).  Playing shooters doesn't bother me though, and yes, I do find it fun.

Outside of games, I'm a very peaceful person.  I'd only resort to violence if it was the least bad solution to a problem or otherwise necessary.  Decades of jumping on koopa troopas and shooting aliens hasn't really changed that.

I do get enjoyment out of pestering in game NPCs though, such as throwing stuff at them or jumping on them, if it's funny.  I don't do anything like that in real life either though.  :P
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 06:28:16 pm »

I wouldn't say that playing violent games has affected my normal attitude toward violence in either direction. I'm willing to be a completely heartless bastard and sacrifice millions of lives in a game if it will confer some small advantage, and I don't have a problem with personal violence in games (and will occasionally experiment with it to see just what is possible with different weapons and situations), but in real life even thinking about violence or war in a nonfictional context can make me physically ill if I don't detach myself from my emotional and ethical reaction to it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 12:34:20 am »

Welp, I suppose that I'm about the opposite of anyone else. I tend to do my best to be nonviolent in my gaming (and brutally efficient and quick if I do resort to violence), and I figure that I'd have no hesitation about escalating force if the situation called for it. Of course, I'd say that that's a lot more because of my tendency to read and study classical heroes than FF7 and DF, but I'm probably the only one with a bladed knuckle in his jacket pocket.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 09:41:23 am »

I'm a vegetarian pacifist that literally does his best to not harm a fly.

Then I played Grand Theft Auto.

Now I mug old ladies for their cheap jewelery and hunger for the sweet gamy taste of human flesh.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »

Welp, I suppose that I'm about the opposite of anyone else. I tend to do my best to be nonviolent in my gaming (and brutally efficient and quick if I do resort to violence), and I figure that I'd have no hesitation about escalating force if the situation called for it. Of course, I'd say that that's a lot more because of my tendency to read and study classical heroes than FF7 and DF, but I'm probably the only one with a bladed knuckle in his jacket pocket.
Damn, why not just a knife? Why a knuckle?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Lok_Die

• Escaped Lunatic
  • waht?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 07:09:21 pm »

Video gaming hasn't really reflected my overall propensity to violence.

In real life I have no issue with visiting violence on another.
However violence is simply a tool in the bag to affect a change that i would like to see.  Over time I have become more violent, As I realized that I needed it as a component of who I am.

So, It would be reasonable to say that I am a manipulator.  However I don't view myself as overly violent.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 07:20:16 pm »

I...am an odd subversion of this. I'm happiest when I'm allowed to punch someone in the face (most often in a dojo or tournament,) driving way too fast, listening to loud and angry music, and generally being aggressive. I have never backed down from a fight, and am not shy about being confrontational if I have to be.

That said, I will do everything in my power to keep my little dorfs safe, sneak through games without killing, avoid wars and expand peacably, rescue Little Sisters and am generally happy to take advantage of all the Video Game Caring Potential that I can.

I wonder what that really says...?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 07:20:41 pm »

Now I mug old ladies for their cheap jewelery and hunger for the sweet gamy taste of human flesh.

Human flesh is really more like extra-tender and sweet pork. Or so I hear.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 09:13:06 pm »

Damn, why not just a knife? Why a knuckle?

Because of my collection of blades, it's got a bunch of functionality. Not easy to lose control of, pretty damn intimidating, and a very good size-blade ratio. Probably the best knife that I've ever bought, and it wasn't all that expensive at all, if memory serves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, because I bought it at Military Clothing and Sales, I can make a fair argument for it being legal.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 03:43:22 pm »

Human flesh is really more like extra-tender and sweet pork. Or so I hear.
It depends on the person.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »

I have killed tens of thousands of Majinis singlehandedly in RE5, and I can only think I'm a better person for it.

+1. I've been a gamer my entire life, playing stuff from Contra to Super Smash TV to Wild 9 to the GTA series to Gears of War. My total kill count across my gaming career probably totals in the low billions (admittedly 94% of that probably comes from Smash TV; play it once from start to finish and you'll probably kill about two million enemies and I played it a ton as a kid :))). My style ranges from non-lethal to as brutal as I can possibly be (spinning pile drivers on random thugs from the top of skyscrapers in Spider-Man 2. Always good for a laugh.) depending on my mood yet I've never been in or started a violent confrontation, nor do I ever wish to.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 06:41:34 pm »

If you keep up a constant pace of 10 mooks per second for two hours straight, that's 72000 mooks.

To hit a billion, assuming it's really that rapid, would take 3.17 years of constant play with no sleep.
Pages: 1 [2] 3