Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dragon Age 3  (Read 7790 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age 3
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 01:07:57 pm »

Characters literally come back from the dead. Also I don't really see why you'd have to retcon elements out of existance to have a warden focused sequel?

They do? That is shoddy. Dead should be dead. And that is why a Warden-focused sequel wouldn't work: the Warden can die, not by accident, but through deliberate player choice. How would one account for that? At any rate, I'm just generally not fond of sequels or spinoffs that build on a game with vastly different endings. If the devs end up implying there's only one true way of playing a game by making that "canon", it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

But I fear we're going to get into a pointless debate about imaginary things so I'll just agree to disagree. :P8U

Probably a good idea. ;)

I've never been one to skip either gameplay segments or storyline and dialogue. It's part of the experience I paid for, and to skip over them is only ripping myself off.

If players are inspired to skip either, then it's a good indication that you've done something wrong as a developer.

Not necessarily. It can also be a sign that you've done enough right to attract people who normally don't go for a certain element of your games at all, by giving them another element that they really like. Whether this is good or bad overall, and in whose eyes, is another question.

And sometimes I just want to continue with the story without having to deal with three dozen random encounters and pointless mook fights first -- or go and fight something without listening to half an hour of exposition from some NPC I don't care about anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 02:31:07 pm »

What is sort of Terrible about Mass Effect 3 is that it is genius...

Its sales were amazing and intentionally ruining aspects of the game to be fixed by later DLC is a great way to make a full priced game even more expencive then full price with less work.

Which is what I hate the most about DLC is that it is so effective and it isn't even targeted to the main audiance most of the time, it is targeted towards people without inpulse control.

And it has NO effect on sales that I have ever seen. (except Beautiful Katamari perhaps)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »

I don't think there's any denying that as far as economics go, the people at EA are top-notch.

BUT, that is only in the short term.

I am almost certain that in the long term, eventually all the mindless and extortionist shit they produce will be the end of them. People will migrate to other companies and intentionally avoid EA, especially if it keeps pulling crap like the ME3 ending and DLC-mania. It may take a decade, but eventually their reputation will kill them.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »

Mass Effect 2 improved upon Mass Effect 1 in every single way (except thermal clips).  ME1 was cool but it was 100% Bioware Formula with horribly bland side quests and a tedious inventory system.

If there ain't no mako, then it ain't an improvement.  >:(

Not necessarily. It can also be a sign that you've done enough right to attract people who normally don't go for a certain element of your games at all, by giving them another element that they really like. Whether this is good or bad overall, and in whose eyes, is another question.

And sometimes I just want to continue with the story without having to deal with three dozen random encounters and pointless mook fights first -- or go and fight something without listening to half an hour of exposition from some NPC I don't care about anyway.

You're complaining about bad gameplay and bad writing there. Boring NPCs you dont care about, and repetetive pointless random encounters are bad. The solution isn't to let you skip them... It's to not spend time and money putting bad things in the game that you acknowledge people don't want to spend time with.

What is sort of Terrible about Mass Effect 3 is that it is genius...

Its sales were amazing and intentionally ruining aspects of the game to be fixed by later DLC is a great way to make a full priced game even more expencive then full price with less work.

Which is what I hate the most about DLC is that it is so effective and it isn't even targeted to the main audiance most of the time, it is targeted towards people without inpulse control.

And it has NO effect on sales that I have ever seen. (except Beautiful Katamari perhaps)

Sales ain't that good apparently.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 03:21:12 pm »

Sales ain't that good apparently.

... Did you see that in the article?

"EA had previously deemed the conclusion to the sci-fi action trilogy as the 'best game BioWare has ever made.' "

That's right. They thought mass effect 3 was going to be better than all the bioware games before it. Keep in mind, Bioware used to make GOOD games.
Blargh.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]