Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you willingly swim?  (Read 2675 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
How do you willingly swim?
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:42:20 pm »

I've been having trouble figuring this out, is it even possible to willingly jump into a river and swim to the other side? it gets frustrating. All I can come up with is get into a corner near water, wait for companions to surround you, then attack one sending them all into an attack fury which will knock you into the water, but then there's the problem of trying to get back into a town where everyone hates you and you actually want to do stuff.

Back to the original question, can you willingly go into water, if so, how?

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: How do you willingly swim?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:04:07 pm »

Stand next to water.
Hold either Alt [Direction] or Shift [Direction] Where [Direction] is direction of river.
Choose Riverbed (Or whatever) [Direction], Below.
Do NOT choose Open Space [Direction].
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:13:52 pm »

Also, some companions can't swim. They'll just flounder for a while and drown.
Although, you could repeatedly switch tiles with them, getting them closer to the other shore. Worked last time I tried.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:19 pm »

Also, some companions can't swim. They'll just flounder for a while and drown.
Although, you could repeatedly switch tiles with them, getting them closer to the other shore. Worked last time I tried.

Dabbling swimmers can pretty much flounder their way to the other side of small rivers regardless, though you'd might want to take this into moderation... Swimming against the ocean tide is a good way to train group swimming

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:33:29 pm »

Companions can learn to swim if you train them long enough. 

Considering their total expedibility, however, they are probably not worth the effort, however.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 05:54:22 pm »

Forget the Alt- cheat, you cannot really swim in this game, which is good and shows how realistic the game is. The problem, you see, lies in the fact that upon trying to approach the water, you must first cross half of the distance. Once you do that, you still have the other half remaining, and this new half consists of two yet smaller sub-halves, and both of them too, and so on, so on, and with each half overcame new and new appear like heads of a hydra. Therefore, time slows down, DF gums up with all the infinity-approaching number of super-precise iterations... and you will never make it. A guy called Zenon would explain better than I can.

It's a bit like falling into a black hole. You should try it sometimes.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:07:32 pm »

Forget the Alt- cheat, you cannot really swim in this game, which is good and shows how realistic the game is. The problem, you see, lies in the fact that upon trying to approach the water, you must first cross half of the distance. Once you do that, you still have the other half remaining, and this new half consists of two yet smaller sub-halves, and both of them too, and so on, so on, and with each half overcame new and new appear like heads of a hydra. Therefore, time slows down, DF gums up with all the infinity-approaching number of super-precise iterations... and you will never make it. A guy called Zenon would explain better than I can.

Congratulations, you have just proved that things do not change over time, and the only assumption you had to make while doing it is that time would have to not exist for this to make any sense. 

This is truly a profound concept you have proven, and I'm sure we should make it a part of the philosophic underpinnings of all of Western Civilization for centuries to the point where it ruins basically all scientific thought and progress for two thousand years!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:44:11 pm »

Congratulations, you have just proved that things do not change over time, and the only assumption you had to make while doing it is that time would have to not exist for this to make any sense. 

This is truly a profound concept you have proven, and I'm sure we should make it a part of the philosophic underpinnings of all of Western Civilization for centuries to the point where it ruins basically all scientific thought and progress for two thousand years!

Or just aim to swim for twice the distance of the river.   ;)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:26 am »

It's already a part of the philosophic underpinnings of the Western Civilization, it's called "The dichotomy paradox" (btw. that "Homer" guy the article refers to did not live in Springfield) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes
It's worthwhile to refresh what those underpinnings really are from time to time, eh?

Or just aim to swim for twice the distance of the river.

... that's... that's... preposterous cheating!!!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:59:23 am by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:46 am »

It's already a part of the philosophic underpinnings of the Western Civilization, it's called "The dichotomy paradox" (btw. that "Homer" guy the article refers to did not live in Springfield) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_paradoxes
It's worthwhile to refresh what those underpinnings really are from time to time, eh?

*Psst*

I think he knows that...
[Signature]