Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Murdering Human and Elven Caravans  (Read 4792 times)

barkalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Murdering Human and Elven Caravans
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:23:06 pm »

I keep killing them with amazing efficiency, but then they just send another caravan like nothing happened.  Why no siege?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Murdering Human and Elven Caravans
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:26 pm »

You're not doing it creatively enough.

Put their corpses on display outside.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:26:16 pm »

They have no diplomats, so they have no way to convey that they wish to start a war.  Run DFHack "fixdiplomats" and that should let them declare war.

You can also directly change this in the raws, but it only works with a fresh world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:29:44 pm »

Couldn't they convey that they wish to start a war by attacking?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:35:20 pm »

Without announcing it via formal hand-delivered message?

Next I suppose you'll suggest that they don't notarize their breastplates in triplicate!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »

Clearly they do not, as attempting to sell genuine article elven kosher wooden breastplates back to them results in the "oh, I am so offended!" Reaction.  If the articles were marked in triplicate, they would recognize the maker's mark and not bug out.

Obviously they practice the double-standard method instead, or they suffer from a festering neural condition that causes them to forget that they just sold the items in question.

I prefer to think it is the latter, and that they re hopelessly scenile *and* immortal at the same time, and perform a mercy killing.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:15 pm »

Clearly the most effective way to send a message is to let a single member of the caravan survive to flee the map, but not without first ensuring that he or she has plenty of gem-encrusted elf/human bone bolts lodged firmly in a series of painful, but non-fatal wounds.

A gift for the elven princess, of course.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

barkalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:48:33 pm »

I let them escape all the time, no dice.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:56:08 pm »

Clearly the elven civ sends only the hopelessly insane and forgetful out as merchants.  If they somehow manage to find their way home again, it is doubtful they even remember how they got shot, or why they left in the first place.

For proper elven war, you need a sane trade diplomat to show up and demand you not cut down their all natural phallic devices "beloved trees."

Insult the pervert, brutally beat him with a wrestler dwarf, or a danger room, and then let him leave unhappy.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:26:36 pm »

Personally, I have no problem with the endless waves of friendly, squishy caravans.

I have a lever entitled "RELEASE THE RIVER."

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:46:09 pm »

Personally, I have no problem with the endless waves of friendly, squishy caravans.

I have a lever entitled "RELEASE THE RIVER."

Mine involves a Giant Badger Bomb conveniently located above the trade depot.  Same ends but with 500% more carnage!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:08:10 am »

Humans will eventually send a siege--i think the time depends on the distance to their civ, but don't quote me on that.

Elves will never give sieges, if you want war with elves add the baby snatcher tag to their raws and gen a new world.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:22:33 am »

or use dfhack to add diplomats.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 03:38:56 am »

Have him beaten with wood swords.

Bathe in irony.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 03:45:49 am »

I've had humans siege me without modding. And yes, they started out friendly enough to send caravans.

Not elves, though. I just steal their large animals instead of murdering them, so that might be why.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: [1] 2