Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF needs a booth at PAX  (Read 2165 times)

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
DF needs a booth at PAX
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:42:26 am »

Seriously. I think if we got a booth space, plane tickets for Toady and Tarn, and set something up, it would be great for DF's publicity. It's popular among hardcore and niche gamers, and it's legendary among developers, but I think a booth would do wonders. I know Toady doesn't do the whole commercial bit, but I think having T-shirts would be great. Give out free CDs burned with a DF installer and a guide, maybe? A wiki mirror and some of the better video tutorials? Let people meet Tarn? Have us more rabid fans hanging around the booth to answer questions and talk about the game? Giant poster in the background with epic ASCII depictions of fortresses? Let fan-staff bring in their computers so people can see and play DF? There's a lot we could do, folks, and I'd kill to be able to staff a DF booth as a knowledgeable fan/question answerer/coffee and soda retriever/whatever, even if it meant missing out on other stuff at PAX.

Ideas?
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
Re: DF needs a booth at PAX
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:36:23 am »

Seriously. I think if we got a booth space, plane tickets for Toady and Tarn, and set something up, it would be great for DF's publicity. It's popular among hardcore and niche gamers, and it's legendary among developers, but I think a booth would do wonders. I know Toady doesn't do the whole commercial bit, but I think having T-shirts would be great. Give out free CDs burned with a DF installer and a guide, maybe? A wiki mirror and some of the better video tutorials? Let people meet Tarn? Have us more rabid fans hanging around the booth to answer questions and talk about the game? Giant poster in the background with epic ASCII depictions of fortresses? Let fan-staff bring in their computers so people can see and play DF? There's a lot we could do, folks, and I'd kill to be able to staff a DF booth as a knowledgeable fan/question answerer/coffee and soda retriever/whatever, even if it meant missing out on other stuff at PAX.

Ideas?

I'd love that... I would probably want to find a way to come to PAX this year if there were a DF booth / panel / freeplay space.
Adon * Amil * Orethan

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:33:25 am »

And more importantly, what is this PAX thing? My google doesnt seem to be helpful... too generic name to find anything meanigful easily.
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:54:19 am »

And more importantly, what is this PAX thing? My google doesnt seem to be helpful... too generic name to find anything meanigful easily.

Penny Arcade Expo, if I remember right. A smaller scale E3 that focuses/focused on smaller developer games for the most part.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:25:04 am »

This seems pretty cool, but really expensive for what sorta gain? If DF had Merch, then yea, defiantly, gotta hit up the Cons to sell the Merch.

But Toady doesnt need more exposure, at least not right now, I mean he just got a shout out from Fixars(sp) at a panel at Pax, and there was an article in a major national news paper. He makes pretty frequent appearance in interviews, reviews on gaming sites.

Toady already does semi annual Fan Meet Up, which is what going to a convention would be really about. It'd probably just be a more expensive version of that. Booths at Conventions aren't given for free, and there hotel stays, eating cost, and travel costs.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:49:44 am »

Seriously. I think if we got a booth space, plane tickets for Toady and Tarn, and set something up, it would be great for DF's publicity. It's popular among hardcore and niche gamers, and it's legendary among developers, but I think a booth would do wonders.

You're easily talking 10,000$. Better to just donate the money for future DF development :)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 12:46:48 pm »

He should probably go to PAX Prime instead of PAX East, considering that it's in Seattle instead of Boston.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 05:47:33 pm »

He should probably go to PAX Prime instead of PAX East, considering that it's in Seattle instead of Boston.
Similar issues still exist there though. PAX Prime being the well, the Prime PAX probably also translate into more expensive booths, and there's probably a waiting list for booths.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#