Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The much underestimated vermin  (Read 8390 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
The much underestimated vermin
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:10:35 pm »

So is anyone even doing anything with Vermin anymore? I caught a live jumping frog and a some kind of vermin spider. But I cant seem to train, butcher or make them available as pets. What is the trick?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The much underestimated vermin
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:11:47 pm »

Use the 'Tame small animal' job at the kennels.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:18:16 pm »

Kennels aren't around anymore, with the taming reboot. Hm, I'm not sure what there is to do with them now.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:29 pm »

Kennels still exist, they just don't train large animals anymore.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:26:05 pm »

It seems like a toady-like whimsical thing to spend 3 months making the vermin system better. I have my hopes up.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:49 pm »

OP: Not that I know of, sorry. It's easy enough to catch them with small traps, but I haven't seen that much you can do with them, besides tame them.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »

you can release them from a cage (the big kind, which they can be assigned to) by using a lever. this means that you can have a spider room to make webs for a silk industry. it also means that you can perform !!SCIENCE!! (by which i mean, hurl every other kind of vermin, which are useless, into the lava (edit: my bad, *magma*) via the mass pitting method described in the wiki) if i'm not mistaken.

edit2: in hindsight, i speculate that you might also be able to make use of them in some way in Dwarven Child Care. i wonder if you can surround a child's room with beehives, carve fortifications, and get the child to build up some sort of skill. or if you can make them hunt for vermin to stay alive and increase some (useful?) skills that way.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:50:55 pm by SharkForce »

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:39:13 am »

whaddaya mean spider room

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »

whaddaya mean spider room

well, normally if you want to get spider silk, you have to go to where the spiders are (because that's where they spin silk). this can potentially not be a problem at all, but it can also potentially be a major problem if, for example, the spiders decide to hang out in a forest full of sieging goblins (not a good place for the average weaver/clothier) or a cave full of steel forgotten beasts with deadly dust. also, they will normally bite your dwarfs and pets if you go in the area they're found in, which can be kinda annoying.

so, if you manage to capture certain specific spiders (cave spiders, phantom spiders, and brown recluse are the three spider vermin i am aware of that spin silk; giant cave spiders also spin silk, but aren't vermin), you can transfer them to a regular cage instead of the small cage, place that cage in a room they won't get out from easily (putting tightly closed doors should help, air-locks should help more, and having just a loom with a spot to quantum dump food/drink into and a spot to dump woven cloth out of should work best of all i would think - though having sleeping quarters for your weaver is probably also good, as well as a meeting area not in the web room), turn them loose, and they should spin webs right near your loom in a non-dangerous area.

of course, if you get kicks out of your legendary +5 weaver rushing into the oncoming elite goblin archers/lashers to grasp a spider web and run back screaming frantically just ahead of a charging horde of cave-dragon-riding goblins as you close the gates to keep the army from reaching the rest of your dwarfs (and quite possibly following up by flooding the map with magma), then you probably won't appreciate having a spider room so much.

of course, given that last paragraph... i expect i've probably inspired more people to try to *create* that situation than prevent it, based on my knowledge of these forums. but hey, something good will come of it either way, i figure :)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »

vermin spider will produce from within the cage or what? i didnt think you could take vermin out of a cage, ive never been able to pasture them

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 05:09:54 pm »

vermin spider will produce from within the cage or what? i didnt think you could take vermin out of a cage, ive never been able to pasture them

*sigh*

ok, one more time from the top:

you capture the vermin. (iirc this is done from butcher shop or maybe kennel, and requires a small trap)

then you tame it. (this is done from a kennel).

then you transfer it to a large cage. the full-sized kind. the ones you use for goblins and unicorns and such.

then you build that cage in the room where you want the vermin to be. the room should be prepared to be nigh-impossible to escape from.

then you attach a lever to that large cage with a mechanism.

then you pull the lever. everything inside the cage (including vermin) will be released.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 05:14:03 pm »

Vermin teleport.  Sealing the room they're is isn't going to do any good.  And tame vermin not in a cage or trap will trigger jobs for your dwarves to try and catch them and put them in an animal trap, since dwarves don't think tame vermin should be let to run around free.  If the vermin are inaccessible, this will just result in job cancellation spam.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 05:28:43 pm »

Vermin teleport.  Sealing the room they're is isn't going to do any good.  And tame vermin not in a cage or trap will trigger jobs for your dwarves to try and catch them and put them in an animal trap, since dwarves don't think tame vermin should be let to run around free.  If the vermin are inaccessible, this will just result in job cancellation spam.

^yes

my deepest and most sincere apologies for making you repeat your point sharkforce but like i stated previously i've never been able to pasture vermin and what you described would just make them teleport around like sphalerite described

job cancellation spam is the WORST too

edit: nope, couldnt chain vermin
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:31:00 pm by simonthedwarf »

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 11:56:39 am »

hmmm... i was pretty sure i'd seen it before. maybe it was in a previous version.

any chance you can assign tamed vermin as pets? :P

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 11:58:04 am »

You can, but they never seem to be claimed
Pages: [1] 2 3