Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crippling problem with stairs.  (Read 1669 times)

GeckIRE

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Crippling problem with stairs.
« on: April 08, 2012, 04:49:19 pm »

Hello, I have been truly enjoying this game for the past week, I have had loads of fun and lost like 3 or 4 times so far :P but still, grat fun has been had :)

I have gone the furthest in this current fort and I am beginning to have this crippling problem with my fort :-/
My stairs for some reason are becoming unusable, and it has cause my dwarfs to just go "no job" and stop doing stuff

I have taken a picture to try and yelp yous understand my issue :-/
http://i.imgur.com/7HmNV.jpg
as yous can see, I have made other stairs to try and help :-/
the stairs in question are the ones in the center

Does anybody know why this is happening to me?
Thank you for reading

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crippling problem with stairs.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:51:52 pm »

What's on the next level down from those stairs? You'd need up stairs or up/down stairs below those for them to work.

GeckIRE

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:54:13 pm »

What's on the next level down from those stairs? You'd need up stairs or up/down stairs below those for them to work.

Yeah I have an up/downstairs that keeps on going down for around 15 levels.
Thank you for replying so soon :)
It has been working for quite a while but then just seems to fail :-/
any other ideas?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:06:51 pm »

1.  Are they able to reach the jobs with those other stairs?
2.  If not, what jobs are they not doing?  Are the stockpiles full?  Are the Dwarves on lockdown alert?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:06:51 pm »

Upload a save?  You're probably doing something to screw up your stairs, but it's hard to tell from a single screenshot.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GeckIRE

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:16:21 pm »

Those middle stairs used to be only 3x1 stairs wide, I made them 3x3 and they started to use them but them it went a bit fuzzy again and yes they are using the other stairs and those middle stairs in a mix.
The jobs in question were mainly hauling jobs

But before I made that stair a 3x3 and added the other, those dwarfs were all no job pritty much :-/

here is my save, It is working atm I "think"
http://filesmelt.com/dl/region1.1_.rar

Edit: I dont think they are on lockdown alert, I have never done anything like that and dont know whow.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:20:09 pm by GeckIRE »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »

Sorry, nothing on my computer can open that file.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:55:44 pm »

If that is so then it may be a good idea to get Win.rar or 7Zip. They work better as file compressors than whatever you have on your computer, and can open more obtuse and exotic files.

So, come on and take a step into THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF FILE COMPRESSION

GeckIRE

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:24 pm »

Sorry, nothing on my computer can open that file.

I am sorry, I thought everybody had winrar or some form of it, I have zipped it and uploaded it :) if you can see any problems with my stairs it would be greatly appreciated :)

here is the file
http://filesmelt.com/dl/region15.zip

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 05:58:08 pm »

Okay, the middle stairs have a problem just below ground level.  You have downward staircases in six places where you need to have up/down staircases.  Just build over the downward staircases from the construction menu.  A mason will do this.

But they still should have been able to use the other three, that is, your original 1x3 staircase.

Edit: And RAR files are fine with me.  Z files are even better, but they don't improve these saves much.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:03:00 pm by slink »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »

If that is so then it may be a good idea to get Win.rar or 7Zip.

You assume he runs Windows.  Opening RAR files on Linux requires UnRAR or one of its free-software clones.  Looks like that would also build on Mac OS X.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

GeckIRE

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »

Okay, the middle stairs have a problem just below ground level.  You have downward staircases in six places where you need to have up/down staircases.  Just build over the downward staircases from the construction menu.  A mason will do this.

But they still should have been able to use the other three, that is, your original 1x3 staircase.

Edit: And RAR files are fine with me.  Z files are even better, but they don't improve these saves much.  ;)

Oh thank you soo much, but now that I have fixed the middle main staircase, how do I remove the other staircases that I have made? they look a bit silly now that the main one is fully operational :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 06:16:47 pm »

Construct floor, or up/down stairs over the old down stairs.

As for what caused the problem in the first case, did you at any point designate ramps for removal?  If you area-select removal of ramps, and catch your staircase in the selection area, your dwarves will also turn any up/down stairs into down-only stairs.  It's a good way to break your main staircase without realizing it.

GeckIRE

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 06:24:51 pm »

Construct floor, or up/down stairs over the old down stairs.

As for what caused the problem in the first case, did you at any point designate ramps for removal?  If you area-select removal of ramps, and catch your staircase in the selection area, your dwarves will also turn any up/down stairs into down-only stairs.  It's a good way to break your main staircase without realizing it.

I am not sure if I did that, could it had happened when I updated a save or something in the LazyNewbPack, I have never made a ramp or anything :-/ oh well, it is fixed now :) but I didnt meant the main staircase, do you rememebr I made 3 other staircases, how do I remove them, I pressed [d] -> [n] and removed 2 of them but it is not working for the last extra staircase? how do I remove them?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 06:48:51 pm »

d->z removes staircases and ramps.  Then floor over the holes.

Edit: And also the extra down staircases can be floored over.  As long as there is no up staircase below them, they will be invisible from below.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:50:34 pm by slink »
Pages: [1] 2