Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Derailed into Sabers vs katanas vs rapiers  (Read 45577 times)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Derailed into Sabers vs katanas vs rapiers
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2012, 08:02:31 pm »

All you need is one person who hates x and one person who hates y, and then the internet hate machine does the rest ^_^

Though this is definitely an odd case, to say the least.

its because it's a universal thing. now, pros and cons would be good if we were, say, fielding an army, but we've evolved past the point of needing them, so its just a nice thought experiment to run
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love marksdwarves, so much.
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2012, 08:05:26 pm »

To condense all the quoting and you randomly going off into other topics that don't matter to either sides argument.

You say: katana's are very advanced, awesome cutting swords designed to cut through steel armour, no evidence provided other then rhetoric.

I say: katans are hardened(makes the sword brittle) curved swords good at cutting (just as good as any other curved sword, no better or worse). And you don't cut through steel plates with a sword made of steel (unless the steel plates are very thin [if the armour is decent it should always be thicker then the sword]). In first post provided a link to a small youtube series showing a comparison between katana & and a european(german) long sword, long sword cuts just as well as katana, and is far more durable. I also provide a link to damascus steel the closest thing in the real world which can perform almost as good as the myths spread about katanas (which can't do those things).
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2012, 08:20:56 pm »

-snip-
To condense all the quoting and you randomly going off into other topics that don't matter to either sides argument.

I say: katans are hardened(makes the sword brittle) curved swords good at cutting

b-but, he's saying the exact same thing! you're saying the wall is red, and he's saying that the wall is red! its not even apples and oranges, its apples and apples!  of course, no offence Loud Whispers, that post of yours was daunting to wade through.

you say katanas arent magical, he says they were specilized for cutting, theyre not contradicting each other... this is making my brain hurt...
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2012, 08:27:22 pm »

Re: Katanas

A major reason for the folding and care taken in forging each blade was because, for the large part, Japan had really, really crappy iron. Still, this created a pretty good cutter, which, like most swords, was far more likely to be used on horseback to kill lightly armored peasants, not swung at all at steel armor, because it sucks to chip/nick your expensive sword, and enemy noblemen are worth more alive than dead. And if you were a samurai, only used as a backup weapon when you ran out of arrows and your spear broke.

Not saying anyone was arguing against any of these points, just laying them out.

Saying European longswords (a generic term at best) weren't made for cutting doesn't take into account the vast variety of swords used during the course of European history, that ranged from designated cutters to piercing specialized. Heck, later, they were were half-sworded and used as short polearms (a far more useful weapon).
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2012, 08:35:28 pm »

Ullrich did you actually read my post or are you deliberately ignoring parts of it?
awesome
Specialized.
FFS.
Specialized.
I gave my evidence.
You avoided all of it.
K.
There are no sides.
Calm your socks, and actually adress my points, not what you say my points are.
Or better yet.
-snip-
This.
Get. Your. Nationalism. Out. Of. This. Thread. Derail.

Or EVEN BETTER YET.

Do what Andal is doing, and saying things at face value.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2012, 08:38:33 pm »

to clear the air, and make everyone feel better, and to salvage hope of getting on track, i propose we simply categorize the various types of swords from everywhere ever based on what it was "best" used for, best being a loose term. its a much better use of time than fighting over magic swords

Edit: although that seems to be what we were doing in the first place >.>

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2012, 08:48:09 pm »

Screw swords, it's all about sword-breakers >:£

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »

Screw swords, it's all about sword-breakers >:£

ooooh, i like him, whats his name?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »

Rainbow Apocalypse?

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2012, 08:58:42 pm »

Ullrich did you actually read my post or are you deliberately ignoring parts of it?
Well same to you, I'm ignoring parts because they bear nothing about katana vs other swords, I say katanas arn't fancy and europe had better sword tech, you say east was more advanced, I point out east =/= katana, you ignore this, etc, all of that straying from the topic, therefore I tryed to ignore it.

I gave my evidence.
You apparently don't know evidence = proof for a point, you say things, provide no proof, saying them again =/= proof.

-snip-
This.
Get. Your. Nationalism. Out. Of. This. Thread. Derail.

So because he says katanas arn't magical he's a nationalist?

If you want I can go through your previous post more throughly where you contradict your self 2x, and I can do the math for you on psi showing that a sharp edge is not significantly better than a dull edge going at high speeds, I can go and research up the thickness of steel plates and then do the math for you showing how hard you'd need to swing a blade (katana or otherwise) to "cut" it (or if its even possible),  but I am trying to not have it  derail needlessly on stuff you will just ignore anyway for a fight you want to pick with me, so in short chill and watch the videos I linked.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2012, 09:01:57 pm »

rapiers are nice because they get a damage bonus against armored AND mounted units, it doesn't get much better

also, yeah, swords are kinda weak because they do less damage; spears are the best because they balance damage and accuracy

axes you just can't hit worth a darn with
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2012, 09:05:25 pm »

which game are you speaking of? IRL there aint damage bonuses, i think

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »

Well same to you, I'm ignoring parts because they bear nothing about katana vs other swords, I say katanas arn't fancy and europe had better sword tech, you say east was more advanced, I point out east =/= katana, you ignore this, etc, all of that straying from the topic, therefore I tryed to ignore it.

And this makes it seem like you didn't read my post.

katana vs other swords

Seriously.

You didn't read my post.

At all.

What is this...

I gave my evidence.
You apparently don't know evidence = proof for a point, you say things, provide no proof, saying them again =/= proof.
Are you still arguing with definitions?

Noun:   
Evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.

Read my post before you argue with me about it. I read yours, and honestly it's a *little* bit insulting.

So because he says katanas arn't magical he's a nationalist?

Ullrich.

I was talking about you.

And FFS at what point did I say Katanas were magical. At any mildest implied level.

You =/= Reading?

If you want I can go through your previous post more throughly where you contradict your self 2x, and I can do the math for you on psi showing that a sharp edge is not significantly better than a dull edge going at high speeds, I can go and research up the thickness of steel plates and then do the math for you showing how hard you'd need to swing a blade (katana or otherwise) to "cut" it (or if its even possible),  but I am trying to not have it  derail needlessly on stuff you will just ignore anyway for a fight you want to pick with me, so in short chill and watch the videos I linked.

By all means, I've been asking for you to do that.

Go on.

The maths is waiting, as am I, so we can both prove our points at the same time ::)

Derail needlessly?

The derail has reached the point where the thread is named after the bloody derail.

And sitting through a quarter of an hour of German is not on my top priorities.

A fight? These are words. You should probably go read my posts now.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2012, 09:23:56 pm »

this thread needs some jazz hand or something, anyone got a .gif laying around? we should screencap the moment of realization

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2012, 09:27:31 pm »

I would do that, but all my pics are related to a certain show that causes controversy on this forum.

Also, as I was talking about spears, I realized I wished pikes in DF were better. And that we had formations. I want yummy pike blocks to go with my massed crossbowdwarves.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16