Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oh Sour Merciless Armok, the xXClothesXx...  (Read 5637 times)

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh Sour Merciless Armok, the xXClothesXx...
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:47:13 pm »

So... many... clothes.  I have 260 dwarves and 0 idlers (OK, about 80 children who are pretty idle).

Between the unusable Large goblinite items, and the slightly worn clothing dumped back in the finished goods stockpiles by my fashionista dwarves, I have so many items that I cannot haul all of it away.  I have a backlog of stuff in the killzone waiting to be hauled going back three sieges. 

I dumped over 170,000 dorfbucks worth of stuff on the human caravan, with nothing but Large and Worn items.  And that didn't even get them all; dwarves were still hauling xXCrapXx to the trade depot when the merchants started packing up.  And they all had to be designated to be sold one... by... one...

The humans got so much stuff, in fact, that they were still there packing up when the dwarven caravan arrived.  It's like a clown car in that depot, so many wagons and animals and traders and guards all jammed in there together.

I like that the dwarves now wear clothes.  I just wish we had better tools for dealing with the results of it.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Oh Sour Merciless Armok, the xXClothesXx...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:53:00 pm »

BIG RED TEXT
(Magma).

Make a clothes stockpile, and mass dump it all into the good red molten rock.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 02:59:11 pm »

put a garbage stockpile over a refuse stockpile that only takes clothing

MW clothing degrading does not create a bad thought

lots of work though.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:08:26 pm »

Hmm, an interesting idea.  Items in garbage stockpiles will decay, so it stands to reason that if you enable garbage but disable specific garbage, then you can destroy anything by leaving it in the pile.  Curious, needs testing!

If it works, put a ☼Alder Cage (Dragon)☼ in your dining room and wait for eventuality to happen!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:13:35 pm »

unusable Large goblinite

I thought goblins now had the same size clothes as dwarves since 31.01?

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 03:24:04 pm »

unusable Large goblinite

I thought goblins now had the same size clothes as dwarves since 31.01?

Sometimes, goblins bring trolls. trolls wear clothes. and those clothes are large :)

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:36 pm »

As for the problem of hauling -all- that crap to the Depot, I suggest liberal use of bins. If this is already the case, then, damn, that's a lot of worn-out duds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 04:56:50 pm »

"Worn out" isn't worn out.  Dwarves drop their xshirtx in favor of a shirt, so you end up with a LOT of perfectly fine, slightly used clothing that no one wants to wear.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:23:17 pm »

I found the best strategy is prevention. Cage all the goblins and trolls, Do a mass forbid d-b-f and mass dump d-b-d on the cage stockpile. Go to the stocks screen>weapons> claim all the weapons with a D next to it. The dwarfs will only grab the weapons off the goblins on those csages. After They are all taken, go ahead and mass remove dump, d-b-D and mass reclaim d-b-c.  Now you can pit the goblins who have no weapons, but still have all their clothes and armor.

So what now? and how does it relate to the thread?

Build an arena right above the magma sea. Not a magma cistern, but the actual magma sea with semi molten rock magma flows. Anything that falls in them is gone no matter what.

Channel out the floor of the arena so it is exposed to the magma sea. Build a retracting bridge to act as the floor and link it to the lever. Carve fortifications in the walls and places for marks dwarfs to shoot in. The idea is to dump these goblins here. Their weapons will be gone so no worry about enemy archery units shooting back. You can choose to pull the lever after you get enough archery practice yourself to get rid of the trash without any hauling jobs at all. Or you can claim certain things through the stock screen. I claim iron armor to reforge into steel if I don't have iron ore on my embark.

You can even skip the whole arena thing and dump prisoners directly into the magma sea if you don't care about anything they have. Dig a channel from the surface to the magma so they won't even have to walk very far to bring the prisoners to their doom.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:44:12 pm »

"Worn out" isn't worn out.  Dwarves drop their xshirtx in favor of a shirt, so you end up with a LOT of perfectly fine, slightly used clothing that no one wants to wear.
Which basically means it's a much better idea to let their clothes wear out and THEN make a new batch...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 09:08:57 pm »

Dwarves get bad thoughts from:
- wearing worn clothing
- having worn clothing rot completely away while they're wearing it
- not having proper clothing (shirt/pants/shoes seems to be the minimum)

Allowing your dwarves to keep wearing their current clothing until it rots completely away will result in a truly spectacular tantrum spiral.

For me, I generally keep wearable goblin clothing that's made out of silk or wool, and dump leather stuff (the many types of leather have a tendency to clog up the stocks screens unnecessarily).  I also go through the stocks detail screen every so often and mark everything that's worn for dumping; some of it won't get dumped, since it's still owned, but a decent bit will.  Atomsmasher-based garbage compactors are a wonderful thing. My dwarves don't seem particularly eager to put worn clothing in the refuse stockpile, which is a little odd.  They also don't seem to want to get rid of their mittens or various other little doodads since they don't have anything to replace them with (since goblins don't bring them), so they keep wearing them and get bad thoughts from wearing worn clothing. 

Some sort of stocks menu that shows whether you have enough fresh clothing for all your dwarves would be greatly appreciated. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »

I made a seperate finished goods stockpile for each type of clothing. Armor(body) legwear, head wear, foot wear and handwear. You can keep an eye on them and have graphical representation on what is low in stock.

On another point. I don't think the dwarfs will wear even slightly used clothing. If it has even one small x, its done. It might be better to Only produce new sets of clothes once a year instead of year round. Can anyone verify?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 12:19:18 am »

I made a seperate finished goods stockpile for each type of clothing. Armor(body) legwear, head wear, foot wear and handwear. You can keep an eye on them and have graphical representation on what is low in stock.

On another point. I don't think the dwarfs will wear even slightly used clothing. If it has even one small x, its done. It might be better to Only produce new sets of clothes once a year instead of year round. Can anyone verify?

Sort of true. Dwarves will continue wearing worn clothing until it rots away if they have nothing better, so waiting until it's almost gone will save materials.

Unfortunately, partially worn clothing generates bad thoughts...
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 03:12:19 am »

Yeah I decided to mod out (most) goblin clothing again. Why a dwarf would be so eager to replace his slightly worn but clean and still perfectly serviceable clothes with the gore-and-puke-covered duds ripped off a mutilated goblin corpse, I have no idea.

Subjektiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 03:26:37 am »

It would be nice if you could restrict your clothes stockpiles to not take items that are in too bad or too good shape, (that way you could have them place the worn clothing under the atomsmasher)
Pages: [1] 2