Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preparing for first titan  (Read 2751 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Preparing for first titan
« on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:46 am »

I was playing 0.28 for a long time before starting a new fortress in DF 2012, and after a couple of years things seem to be settling in well. However, I'm approaching a population of 80 after just receiving a wave of migrants, and I'm worried about handling titans in this version because of their syndromes. I need advice.

I have a basic 3-wide wash trough being built in my 3-wide hallway, though filling is going slower than I'd like. But I'm not sure what to do after that--I can't have dwarves getting recontaminated, and the wiki is unclear on good schemes for decontaminating more permanently. That's one of my main concerns.

Another concern is that my military is fairly green right now; they're really undertrained to take on a megabeast. That's if he can even be killed. I'll need a backup plan to keep him out of the fortress and evacuate everyone to safety. (I haven't used burrows yet so I have no idea what the appropriate action is there.) For a quick method I'm thinking of possibly walling off the area around my entrance ramp, then having masons build a raised ramp on either side of a retractable bridge, and retracting that when the titan comes. I have no idea if there's even time to pull that off, but that also re-raises the question of contamination.

So everyone, what's your preferred method for preventing a titan from destroying your fort and inflicting syndromes?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing for first titan
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:59:20 am »

First, I channel a trench 2z down from my entrance, one 1x1 bridge.

When the FB comes, lower the bridge, let him in, then bum-rush him with anyone you need dead (vampires, necros, nobles) and they SHOULD make the FB dodge into the trench, with the sydromes on the left4dead, eventully they will die, then I have there weapons re-used.

FUN FACT: If a sydrome like a poison gets on a weapon, it will infect whoever it cuts?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:02:10 am »

FUN FACT: If a sydrome like a poison gets on a weapon, it will infect whoever it cuts?

Yeah someone scienced it in a FB poison thread.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:47:09 pm »

When the FB comes, lower the bridge, let him in, then bum-rush him with anyone you need dead (vampires, necros, nobles) and they SHOULD make the FB dodge into the trench, with the sydromes on the left4dead, eventully they will die, then I have there weapons re-used.

I'm not sure I follow visually what you're describing, but I don't have anyone I need dead. I turned off vampires in worldgen and my fortress is too new to have useless nobles. I'd actually like to face down the titan without losing dwarves, and make sure no one gets infected after the fact.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:49:04 pm »

I'm not sure I follow visually what you're describing, but I don't have anyone I need dead. I turned off vampires in worldgen and my fortress is too new to have useless nobles. I'd actually like to face down the titan without losing dwarves, and make sure no one gets infected after the fact.

If you have anyone that will kill your fort "I.E vampires" you dwaft em, give them a few weapons, and have that charge. The 2x fall is nearby, so the dodging should get the Fb into the trench. Unless he kills the vamps, then your dead.

---

Make pillboxes in your entrance, FB extract cant go through fortifications.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:51:35 pm »

Yeah someone scienced it in a FB poison thread.

It depends how the syndrome is normally inflicted, original thread.

Also you're stressing out too much about this, at most you're going to need a pit fall trap to capture it, at best your military will curb stomp it. And syndromes, sure they can be scary, but hey, my first Titan carried syndromes that I used to make super soldiers, and I killed it with just 8 green soldiers!

How large is your military? This is the most important factor.
Then how well trained + equipped is the average soldier?

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:12:57 pm »

Also you're stressing out too much about this, at most you're going to need a pit fall trap to capture it, at best your military will curb stomp it. And syndromes, sure they can be scary, but hey, my first Titan carried syndromes that I used to make super soldiers, and I killed it with just 8 green soldiers!

According to the wiki a pitfall trap requires a retractable bridge, but obviously that's not going to work on a titan, so I'm not sure what you mean. I'm too new to this version of DF to know the practical ways of trapping forgotten beasts yet. The best thing I can think of is losing a bunch of stonefall traps from my 3-wide entrance and replacing them with alternating rows of 1x3 retractable bridges that I can handle via a lever, and digging out two levels below. If that works out, a titan could get trapped on a 1x3 island or at most 3x3 (if one of the bridges doesn't retract). Alternatively, I guess if walls can support a bridge (the wiki is not clear on this) then I can simply have a series of 1x3 bridges not alternating with solid floor.

My military is 8 dwarves strong, most of them are not well trained, and they're all poorly equipped. I don't have significant armor for them and I have not yet struck iron, only tetrahedrite from which I'm making copper stuff. (I have good reason to believe I will strike iron though, as I lowered mineral scarcity from 2500 to 500 at worldgen.) Current population is 71, and the fort is just over two years old.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 05:17:56 pm »

According to the wiki a pitfall trap requires a retractable bridge, but obviously that's not going to work on a titan, so I'm not sure what you mean. I'm too new to this version of DF to know the practical ways of trapping forgotten beasts yet. The best thing I can think of is losing a bunch of stonefall traps from my 3-wide entrance and replacing them with alternating rows of 1x3 retractable bridges that I can handle via a lever, and digging out two levels below. If that works out, a titan could get trapped on a 1x3 island or at most 3x3 (if one of the bridges doesn't retract). Alternatively, I guess if walls can support a bridge (the wiki is not clear on this) then I can simply have a series of 1x3 bridges not alternating with solid floor.

My military is 8 dwarves strong, most of them are not well trained, and they're all poorly equipped. I don't have significant armor for them and I have not yet struck iron, only tetrahedrite from which I'm making copper stuff. (I have good reason to believe I will strike iron though, as I lowered mineral scarcity from 2500 to 500 at worldgen.) Current population is 71, and the fort is just over two years old.

Remove everyone from the army and switch them to marksdwarves, hell to meele, your too pathetic to fight hand to hand right now. (no offense) make pillboxes, copper bolts, and wooden/bone crossbows. Have a floodgate as your entrance and exit. That way you can close both, trapping the FB to the hails of copper bolts.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 05:50:18 pm »

Remove everyone from the army and switch them to marksdwarves, hell to meele, your too pathetic to fight hand to hand right now. (no offense) make pillboxes, copper bolts, and wooden/bone crossbows. Have a floodgate as your entrance and exit. That way you can close both, trapping the FB to the hails of copper bolts.

Won't a forgotten beast just destroy a floodgate?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 05:53:30 pm »

I think stone floodgates are immune to building destroyers, besides it would be doing more dodging then smashing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 06:28:01 pm »

I think stone floodgates are immune to building destroyers, besides it would be doing more dodging then smashing.

Building destroyer (1)'s yes, but a megabeast'll just happily path through and destroy the floodgate without a second thought. Construct a raisable bridge instead, with the raising side facing inwards to your fort, ditch optional. Also you should avoid combat if they're few in number, ill trained and poorly equipped, but if it's an inorganic Titan made out of water/salt or you're out of ideas, feel free to attack.

You've also inspired me to make a full fledged pit guide in ASCIInganese.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:24:46 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106915.msg3175423#msg3175423

It is complete!

Hopefully you'll have time still to prepare :d