Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Now now child! Your to young to worship this!  (Read 6021 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now now child! Your to young to worship this!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:12 pm »

WHERE DID THIS RELIGION DERAILING COME FROM.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 09:28:32 pm »

Yeaah.... sorry. I be good.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 11:15:58 pm »

Just as a random aside (and continued derailing), in academic religious studies 'cult' is synonymous with religion, and lacks any pejorative connotations  (for instance, a 'cult object' is just an object used in religious practice), while in the common it parlance doesn't really have a strict definition, aside from "religion I don't approve of", and is very rarely a helpful (or polite) word.

As for cannibalism symbolism in christianity, in the early years of the christian church the romans (and various other non christians) were deeply suspicious of christians and thought they were creepy, largely because of taking that symbolism a little too literally.  This, combined with certain bits of christian rhetoric about this world being loathsome and sinful, and the believer's true reward being in the hereafter, led at least one roman author who's name escapes me to go on a rant about how christians were an omnicidal  cannibalistic death cult, that must be exterminated for the good of everyone.  The romans were just a tad excitable...

As for pregnancy religions, most animistic or polytheistic religions have groups of worshipers that venerate pretty specific concepts, or the gods of those concepts, and a pregnancy based religion is rather typical of those sorts of religions. 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 11:33:20 pm »

It's actually amongst the oldest, and found in several religions.

Take for instance, the ever present neolithic "goddess" statues.

Given the widespread finding of these ancient clay statues, we have no choice but to assume a vastly widespread religious veneration of this aspect of biology as being divine in origin.

Many cultures all over the world have venerated female fertility with similar artwork, indicating that it is not constrained merely to the Mesopotamian valley, and parts of Europe.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 11:54:05 pm »

Sadrice, I believe you may be referring to Tacitus. Guy thought the various horrific martyrdoms the Romans imposed weren't harsh enough. There were plenty of other slanders thrown around as well - my favorite early slander comes from the fact that the closest emotional tie in that culture was not between husband and wife but between brother and sister - and with Christians being exhorted to love one another, this resulted in some of them, even spouses, calling each other "brother" and "sister," leading to them occasionally being accused of being an incest cult.

Anyway, yeah, pregnancy and other things required for a culture to even exist are often found in religions - and, I guess, although it's somewhat odd to us to see a child talking about it, I gather that this is somewhat of a modern thing, and that even today kids that grow up on a farm aren't exactly unknowing about the Fax of Life. I do, though, think that the occasional civilization-wide suicide cult is pretty weird, though.
Actually, I think it'd be pretty interesting if people who worshipped one god or another would have their behavior influence by such in worldgen - like, followers of a war god would more likely become soldiers, followers of a god of fish would more likely become fishermen, followers of a god of minerals would more likely become masons or something... could also make for some interesting variations between civs depending on their god list. I.e. if your civ has a god of fish you'll get more fisherdwarves or something.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 11:58:23 pm »

This is DWARF FORTRESS!

If the dwarves worship DAGON, (A fish deity), then you get hairy deep ones! NOT FISHERDWARVES!
Pages: 1 2 [3]