Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sieges with flying bats and fleeing mounts.  (Read 2020 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Sieges with flying bats and fleeing mounts.
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:47:42 pm »

So Ive had two forts suffering from two similar problems now, where the goblins arriving are riding some animal which clearly is in more control than they are. Rutherers who flee as soon as they see a dwarf and giant bats who just flutter around in the corners of the map (with the leader ofc, leaving the whole army sitting there). Is there some easy way to deal with this issue until its fixed? Like removing the mount ability in the raws somewhere while the game is running so they dismount or make the animals aggressive or something. Its really frustrating.

So far Ive ended up training up marksdwarves who shoot the bastards to death before they can do anything, which takes awhile when the dwarves are untrained. In the case of the bats Its not always even possible to shoot them (diffrent z-levels).
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges with flying bats and fleeing mounts.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54:43 pm »

You can remove mounts in a new world.  In an existing world, you can mod creatures to not be a flier anymore, have them [LIKES_FIGHTING], and other little tweaks.

Every single mount that's come at me has caused the invaders to be less formidable.  I remove mounts from elves and goblins.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:26:48 pm »

Every single mount that's come at me has caused the invaders to be less formidable.  I remove mounts from elves and goblins.

Bow goblins on horses. Horses get scared, high tail it off to the distance while the goblins keep firing. Some of the greatest fun in open fields.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:34:58 pm »

war jabberers and war cave dragons do not make gobbos less formidable.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:01:36 pm »

Agreed. My last siege of 80+ goblins brought along 80 jabberers to ride as well as 2 additional groups of 15ish war cave dragons each. Very surprising considering I'm only in my 4 year (I think it's the fact that I have tons of silver, though that doesn't do anything for making any type of useful armor. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:58:51 am »

Agreed. My last siege of 80+ goblins brought along 80 jabberers to ride as well as 2 additional groups of 15ish war cave dragons each. Very surprising considering I'm only in my 4 year (I think it's the fact that I have tons of silver, though that doesn't do anything for making any type of useful armor. :P)

And how did this turn out?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:03:35 am »

3 Squads of Lashers, all led by master bowgobbbos, all riding voracious cave crawlers. I closed the gates and have yet opened them.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:26:42 am »

Well I got two "vile forces" wasting time at the other side of the mountaintop. Once I get my marksdwarves to a proper level I might attack them. Until then they can stay there. None of the civilization caravans come from that direction anyway.

On my next fort Im going to mod out mount as previously suggested on the fliers. None of them seem to work properly anyway.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:23:33 am »

Batriders charged my marksdwarf pillboxes just fine. The flying AI is a bit derpy, but in both cases they did fly towards my dwarves.

Epic battle ensued. Some were shot down and crashed into the bridge. About half a dozen batriders and their mounts managed to make it into or onto the pillbox, and this team of greenskinned paratroopers proceeded to decimate my marksdwarves. One goblin managed to run down the access tunnel and into the farming area and became the only free invader to ever see an interior section of the fort. Unfortunately, an axedwarf squad was waiting.

The pillbox was retaken and the dead and dying marksdwarves were replaced, but next year they came back. This time they brought a demonic chinchilla general on a bat and the largest goblin army I'd ever even seen. I guess I'd been exporting too many gold crafts. This is finally the end, I thought. A small, furry, avenging angel is going to come down from the heavens and punish me for every unfair strategy I'd used.

His bat bugged out and never took off.

After all the non-bat army had been crushed, the general quietly stepped back off the map. !$%#! I'd almost been looking forward to that bit of fun. It seems that sometimes fliers work beautifully and sometimes they just don't.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:35:08 am »

Well I had prepared for fliers, my sunberry, rope reed plots and statue garden at the top of one part of the mountainside is unassailable except for fliers but the section under it is riddled with traps. If anything gets through its either quickly caged or ripped apart by serrated blades. I had looked forward to killing some fliers with it.

Now it seems most fliers will be passive, just defending themselves. Perhaps its only giant bats but so far I got 10 of them on my map.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 07:23:57 am »

I think I've been building my fortresses wrong, instead of making them flier proof, I should've been making landing pads!

AzuredreamsTX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:37 am »

Wow, do you use a mod to achieve such fearsome sieges? Or is it all just luck?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 09:35:26 am »

Export valuable stuff and engrave every single tile on your fort. (Candy/platinum/gold/aluminium help too.)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.