Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: you know what would be cool?  (Read 2086 times)

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
you know what would be cool?
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:52:34 pm »

if there was a way for a workshop to process goods in an area.

for example, if there was a gem stockpile next to my jeweler's workshop, i could designate that workshop to cut gems in that stockpile until it runs out. that way, every single gem i dig up could be cut easily and automatically, as dwarfs would re-fill the stockpile constantly.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: you know what would be cool?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:08:04 pm »

if there was a way for a workshop to process goods in an area.

for example, if there was a gem stockpile next to my jeweler's workshop, i could designate that workshop to cut gems in that stockpile until it runs out. that way, every single gem i dig up could be cut easily and automatically, as dwarfs would re-fill the stockpile constantly.
You could use burrows to emulate that effect. But I agree, stockpile only would be neat. What would be neater is if you could specifically encrust/stud/decorate stuff.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »

Burrows.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:35:00 pm »

while we're at it, a dump/stockpile for melt-flagged items
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

But with burrows you have the dwarf stuck there doing job cancellation spam, then abandoning when hungry/thirsty, bad thoughts from no bed, etc...

I agree with OP. Like when setting piles to draw from other piles, have a setting for the workshop to draw from pile x.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 04:57:52 pm »

I think Masta Crouton is advocating for something different, a "Process nearby materials" job which would work like auto-looming, auto-butchering, and so forth.  I don't see why more things couldn't be automated like web collecting and tanning are. Certainly "auto cut gems" seems like it would be a natural and easy function to add.

There is a way to do some of this now. I haven't played around with it but I understand the "workflow" plugin to dfhack does something like this.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:38 pm »

Possible solution, though a bit of work and modding:

1) Make a custom reaction that cuts rough gems into cut gems, just like normal, except has the [AUTOMATIC] tag on it.  You might run into weird issues with the allowed workshop types for custom reactions.  I.e., you might need to remake the jeweler's workshop as well as a custom copy "Jeweler's workshop Mk II" or whatever.  Build this workshop instead, and dwarves would auto-cut any gems on the map.

2) Make sure to also check the manager's screen - there might be something like a generic "cut gems" task, which although not automatic, would still be better than doing repeat cut orders for 17 different kinds of gems all the time.

Toady adding a "Draw from stockpile" for a workshop would be nice, but still wouldnt solve this issue.  For example, a carpenters shop could draw from stockpile #7, but that doesn't tell the game whether you want cabinets or chests...

Gems, in particular, would work, I guess, but not much else.

I think a better solution would be the ability to have both "Repeat" AND "Repeat-no-cancel" as options in any workshop.  The latter will not cancel itself due to lack of materials, and will instead sit there and wait until there ARE materials.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 06:04:03 pm »

I think a better solution would be the ability to have both "Repeat" AND "Repeat-no-cancel" as options in any workshop.  The latter will not cancel itself due to lack of materials, and will instead sit there and wait until there ARE materials.

GavJ, this is exactly what the workflow module in dfhack does. As well, you can specify an output stock minimum and maximum and it will auto-suspend jobs when the output stock reaches the maximum you set. So you could, for instance, say "I need at least 80 but not more than 120 prepared meals in stock" and it would manipulate the jobs in your kitchen to achieve this for you.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 06:14:16 pm »

yeah, burrows, i know that, but something different.

and, yeah, it wouldn't work for every workshop, just a few. but it would be handy for mass-cutting gems, looming, strand extraction.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »

yeah, burrows, i know that, but something different.

and, yeah, it wouldn't work for every workshop, just a few. but it would be handy for mass-cutting gems, looming, strand extraction.
Don't get me wrong - I would still VERY MUCH want a "draw from stockpile" option for every single workshop.  To allow you to very painlessly specify exactly what materials you want to make your cabinets out of, or exactly what you want to decorate with bone, with no muss no fuss.

It would be massively useful.  Just for a different reason than automation (except for gems and strand extraction, etc.)

It would also be ideal to combine this with a 4th column in the stockpile customize menu.  Category -> subcategory -> specific item type -> specific item, as in "THIS particular helm"

All on by default of course, but able to be toggled all on/off for individual items in that item type.  Only for non-fungible goods of course (e.g. not stone, since all blocks of the same stone are identical)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:20:06 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.