Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fallout 1 Free on GOG  (Read 8313 times)

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fallout 1 Free on GOG
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:27 pm »

It would appear that Fallout 1 is being offered for free for 48 hours on GOG.com: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/fallout
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 1 Free on GOG
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:25:21 pm »

Neato.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:35:34 pm »

Thanks for this. I bought Tactics a while back which I love but I could never get into Fallout 1 and 2. I'm just terrible with turn based games and don't really enjoy the rulesets with "action points" for moving and the like.
I enjoyed the little I played through the first Fallout a while back untill I rage quit due to the combat and UI. Hopefully I can get over these set-backs and enjoy the story this time around.

EDIT: The new layout to GOG is a little confusing. It was nice having the news right on the front page.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:38:36 pm »

I still have the original CD but it's a great opportunity to legally (i think) grab it if you don't have it or never played it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:25:42 pm »

Hmm, I have it on cd but why not to get it to GoG account too. Thanks, I'll pass the word to friends. :)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:47:07 pm »

This is great, I already have my collectors disc with 1,2 and tactics, but now I'll have a copy tucked away on my hard drive should the disc break *knocks on wood*
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »

Thanks for the heads up. It prompted me to create an account since I'd like the opportunity to play Fallout sometime in the future without having to go 'yar har har' and scour the interwebs.

As an aside, that site tests my willpower. >_< So many games that I see the title and say 'Oh yah, that was a lot of fun, I should play that again and it isn't too expensive...'

The only one that I went 'eh' at was Descent Freespace 2... mostly because I'm well aware that it's free, open-source and has the engine upgraded massively. Now if only I still had a joystick...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:51:46 pm »

So, I just bought Fallout 2 a few days ago from Half Price Books (and a saved a whole DOLLAR over GoG, woooh!) Should I play Fallout 1 first? I might end up deleting my Fallout 2 save because I forgot to patch anyway.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 05:56:15 pm »

Hmm, wonder how my netbook handles it and if it can be ran through Wine and holy shit I get free Ultima IV for signing up to GoG? *runs away and forgets all about Fallout for a bit*

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »

So, I just bought Fallout 2 a few days ago from Half Price Books (and a saved a whole DOLLAR over GoG, woooh!) Should I play Fallout 1 first? I might end up deleting my Fallout 2 save because I forgot to patch anyway.

You will miss out a bit if you didn't play F1 as some NPCs sometimes recall things and organisations from F1 (especially one quest in Broken Hills).
Also unpatched (get the unoficial patch) F2 is terribly bug ridden to the point of making some quests pretty much impossible.

I'd start with F1.
Self promotion below.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »

As being new to gog.com, does 'free for 48 hours' means I won't be able to play anymore after said 48 hours? :v

Dun laugh at me, I never been to that place before D:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »

As being new to gog.com, does 'free for 48 hours' means I won't be able to play anymore after said 48 hours? :v

Dun laugh at me, I never been to that place before D:

I think you can add it to your virtual shelf for free during this time and it will remain there to download for ever after (till GoG closes down OFC).
Self promotion below.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:17:37 pm »

...There's some old game available for free as well. Utima IV for example, or Teenagent.

Yay! :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:22:29 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 06:30:32 pm »

FO2 has some jokes and a few parts that build on stuff from the first one. I'd recommend patching 2, then getting the FO1 in FO2 engine patch (like tutu for baldur's gate, but for FO. I don't remember what it was called) Play FO1, play FO2, and life will be good.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 06:36:27 pm »

I went and updated both games, I guess I'll get started on FO1 then.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2