Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about Fluid Flow  (Read 945 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Question about Fluid Flow
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:51:43 am »

I know it's possible for flowing water to push creatures through grates sideways. Is it possible for it to push them upwards if pressurised?

I ask because I'm thinking about constructing a defense system in which goblins must move downward into a very low Z-level to get into the fortress. At that point, they will end up in a checkerboard of walls and grates, underneath which is a chamber. When they hit a pressure plate, water from the river will quickly flood the chamber below the grates, but because of water pressure, up, up, up they will fly, up back to ground level as far as the water goes- then when it shuts off, they'll fall back onto the grates to their deaths. Can I do that?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Fluid Flow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:43 am »

My instincts tell me no... I've never heard of it done. The dwarfy thing would be to build it for !!SCIENCE!! anyway and find out.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 08:55:20 am »

No.  Water can't push creatures or objects upwards.  At best, they might swim up to the surface, if they happen to have a few levels in the swimming skill.  And in that case it wouldn't be the pressure pushing them up, just their swimming skill.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:58:02 am »

Coincidentally, water cannot push creatures down either.  That's just gravity where applicable.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:48:06 am »

So if water fell into a pit from ~50z levels above, onto a goblin... nothing would happen?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:28 am »

So if water fell into a pit from ~50z levels above, onto a goblin... nothing would happen?

Aside from making the goblin wet? No, I don't think so.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:53:14 am »

Has anyone tested it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:56:30 am »

Yep. Nothing. Try arena mode.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:07:03 am »

Oh, k.... What about water falling onto the creature, and then magma? >:)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:08:56 am »

The magma will turn into obsidian as soon as it hits the water.  If unsupported, the obsidian will instantly cave-in and crush the creature.  If supported, the obsidian will just remain where it formed and block any further magma from falling into the water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:10:35 am »

Yeah I sorta guessed that, would it work if say you had 6z levels completely full of water with gobbos at the bottom, then put magma on the top, so that the obsidian floats down and crushes the gobbos?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 10:12:34 am »

That is because water pressure (if im right) is more teleportation then flow.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:51 am »

i tapped a lake from below and my miner was found up in the lake, i think 1-2 z-levels up which i would assume the water would have pushed him down but pulled him out of my fort, or he somehow swam against that pressure.. nothing but my words to back me up though

it's possible with a big enough cistern from what i've seen, just embark near a lake to find out :p
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 10:16:53 am »

Yeah I sorta guessed that, would it work if say you had 6z levels completely full of water with gobbos at the bottom, then put magma on the top, so that the obsidian floats down and crushes the gobbos?

The obsidian won't float down.  Cave-ins happen instantaneously, the obsidian be in the air one tick, on the ground having crushed the goblin the next.  Oddly, the water will have teleported upwards to make room - when falling rock passes through liquids, the liquid is displaced upwards to make room.  This is the principle that the magma piston works by.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:10 am »

That should work (if the goblins don't down first). The obsidian won't "float" down, though, it'll crash down in a single instant. [Edit: Ninjaed!]

You'll also end up with a pile of natural obsidian at the bottom of the pit/lake/cistern/whatever, so you'll need to be able to drain the water and mine it away, or else your trap will eventually fill up with obsidian.
Pages: [1] 2