Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: barrels, barrels everywhere (+1 other question)  (Read 4381 times)

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
barrels, barrels everywhere (+1 other question)
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:49:57 pm »

i have several carpenters workshops making barrels, but i never seem to have any empty barrels for booze, i was wondering if its possible they are only partially filling up each barrel with stuff instead of leaving empty barrels?

also, i keep having this problem with goblin seiges and ambushes, were i will have a walled area around my fortress, which is completely underground (dig a downward stairway directly into the lower z plane). the only things up there inside the walls are farm plots. then i have a one square thick passageway leading out to the other side of the wall layered with 15 or so cage traps. well, the problem is that the goblins wont enter the passage way. some of them will, at first, but then the last half or so of them all just sit around, doing mostly nothing just outside the passage.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: barrels, barrels everywhere (+1 other question)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:52:30 pm »

Have you got the reserved barrels setting at non-zero so that there's some kept spare for booze-making instead of being filled up with food?

Also the latter problem is because when their leader is caged a squad of goblins just shuts down, it's a known issue.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:53:58 pm »

Stop making barrels and start making rock pots at a craftsdwarf's workshop. I presume you have plenty of stone lying around. All your barrel problems will then be solved.

As for the second thing, goblin ambushes/etc will stay on your map until their leader dies. Prior to that, they just follow the leader around. As such, if a leader is caged, they no longer have anyone to follow, nor will they leave the map, so they just stand around.

I'd suggest weapon traps be your first line of defense instead of cage ones.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:00:21 am »

Rock pots hold less food/booze than barrels, 6:10. So if wood isn't a problem then barrels are a better option so long as you can churn them out fast enough, and you certainly should be able to with multiple carpenters on the go.

On the other hand if you don't have enough wood then by all means make rock pots, but bear in mind that you'll need more space in your stockpiles.
/人‿‿人\

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:15:29 am »

will pots mean i get less booze for the amount of food used as well?
also, how do i reserve barrels?

also the goblin leader thing explains a lot, i will try and rely on weapon traps more now. i am thinking about using glass serrated disks, in the previous version glass made bad weapons, but i heard its different now?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:36 am »

also the goblin leader thing explains a lot, i will try and rely on weapon traps more now. i am thinking about using glass serrated disks, in the previous version glass made bad weapons, but i heard its different now?

On the stockpiles screen,

The number of reserved barrels will be kept only for use in any reaction that requires barrels, like brewing. They wont be used to store food. You don't get less booze using pots instead, but they take up more space.

As for green glass disks, they're perfectly good at slashing through unarmoured parts, and goblins have enough of those to make them deadly. Even a fully-armoured goblin has a vulnerable throat that glass disks can cut.
/人‿‿人\

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:25:15 am »

Rock pots hold less food/booze than barrels, 6:10. So if wood isn't a problem then barrels are a better option so long as you can churn them out fast enough, and you certainly should be able to with multiple carpenters on the go.

On the other hand if you don't have enough wood then by all means make rock pots, but bear in mind that you'll need more space in your stockpiles.

My mistress, I dont dare to disagree, but wood barrels are for the weak-minded Cutebolds and elves.

Stone pots are the dwarven way.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:29:07 am »

My mistress, I dont dare to disagree, but wood barrels are for the weak-minded Cutebolds and elves.

Cutting down trees unnecessarily instead of using an alternative, pissing off the elves in the process, isn't considered dwarven now?

Anyone who wants to be some Armok-forsaken peace-mongerer is free to do so, but I will be flaunting my wooden barrels in front of the elves right before I cut off their fingers, just to add insult to murder.
/人‿‿人\

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:30:15 am »

Cutting down trees unnecessarily instead of using an alternative, pissing off the elves in the process, isn't considered dwarven now?

Anyone who wants to be some Armok-forsaken peace-mongerer is free to do so, but I will be flaunting my wooden barrels in front of the elves right before I cut off their fingers, just to add insult to murder.

Once more, anyone who disagrees sees your side.

Im going to make some wood barrels now.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:30:42 am »

1 - Dwarves like to drink from the barrel with the most booze inside it, so after a while you end up with lots of barrels with one or two units of drink in them.  Also, seeds and food are stored in barrels. 

2- Glass is stronger then meat and cloth, so it will destroy goblins like nothing.  They usually seem to only wear a breastplate and cap, so armor won't be a concern either. 

edit: If the barrels are full of booze, and the booze is full of alcohol, thats all that really matters. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:34:27 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 01:20:54 am »

With 1 farmer I can feed all my dwarves and provide booze in massive excess. I don't believe rock pots give you less booze; my understanding is 1 barrel/pot holds whatever's stuck into it by the brewer, no matter how many or few units that may be. But even if rock pots result in less booze, that might be considered a bonus.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:28:22 am »

On the stockpiles screen,

The number of reserved barrels will be kept only for use in any reaction that requires barrels, like brewing. They wont be used to store food. You don't get less booze using pots instead, but they take up more space.

As for green glass disks, they're perfectly good at slashing through unarmoured parts, and goblins have enough of those to make them deadly. Even a fully-armoured goblin has a vulnerable throat that glass disks can cut.

ah, found it, cool. thanks for the tip!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:30:51 am by adecoy95 »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:51:28 am »

I've started making upright spear traps before my first row of cage traps. That way I can still get plenty of goblin prisoners for target practice/creative execution and still butcher the ones lounging around. Requires double the mechanisms though.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:15:41 am »

What the hell are bins for then?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 07:22:47 am »

I use rock pots, wood goes to cages and beds and sometimes bins.

Pages: [1] 2 3