DS
LordSlowpoke
Lovecraft
Vanaheimer
Uthric
Lordraymond
dumamisdeos

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Idea: Ultimate Fortress  (Read 40046 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea: Ultimate Fortress
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:53:27 pm »

Voting has ended!

What happens when you take seven Dwarf Fortress elites, give them a pick, some booze, a wagon, and say "Go!"? We'll soon find out.

The Summary:

It's pretty simple. Make do with a default 'Play now' embark. You can watch the live stream or the recorded version, as seven players discuss and build a marvel of dwarven ingenuity together. It's the All-Stars game of DF. This is not a succession fort. This is a collaboration fort. We all work together at once.

The Details:
- General: The players would all collaborate using voice communication software, while one carries out the commands. If the executor has to leave, another player can be designated as the designator. Build what we feel is a testament to DF. I'm gonna record this, and edit down to the power user's letsplay of sorts, so people can get a feel for how the game is played all the way through.
- Players: Players nominate themselves, and then a general vote is taken. There are a few players who, for the most part, should be in this, and don't need a vote. If anybody challenges the insta-selections, then I'm glad to work with you. No hesitation needed. I also might add those to the standard voting pool if the competition heats up.

Roster:
     - acetech09
     - Girlinhat
     - Loud Whispers
     - DS
     - weird
     - Lovecraft
     - Talvieno

- Collaboration: A multiplayer DF server would be set up on the fastest computer we would find. It would be live streaming its display, as well as recording the feed for later upload.
- Hosting: I volunteer, as I already have a server with server-class internet and a DF over clocking setup ready - if anybody feels they have a kickass setup, I'm open to using yours.

Nomination:
Looking for the best of the best! The greatest of the great! The ones that care the least when a oiled kitten is lit on fire and slid across the hallway! Nominations and voting are going into effect! To nominate yourself, just reply with that intention as well as some information to convince people to vote for you. You don't have to be able to record/stream. That is handled by the server. The scheduling will be rather informal - you don't have to be able to follow a strict deadline - if you can't make it to any scheduled time, no rush. Not everybody has to be there at once.

Please discuss. Looking for some more goals to complete and any general ideas.

I will also take a moment to :P at Whispers, for he is now not the only one with the mysterious shifting avatars 'round here.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:00:43 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Idea: Ultimate Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:55:13 pm »

1. Hell yes good idea
2. Dunno
3. What shall the ultimate goal be?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:53 pm »

Hmmm... Sounds like fun, sure.

Method of choosing players... Easy. People who want a chance nominate themselves here. Then everybody votes on which of them should play before the fortress begins (in a poll, in this thread). Whichever 10 people get the most votes get to play, and most of everybody's happy.

Ultimate goal... Something ridiculous. Something insane. Something nobody has ever done before... And I thought strawberries only grew above ground? That would take some modding, I think.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:58:11 pm »

goal of something like growing 100 strawberries in the circus, or something similar in nature.

I think that one's pretty good. Try to do it in the shortest time possible. To make it better: No danger rooms.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:58:22 pm »

TO GROW STRAWBERRYSHESES IN THE HFSESES
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:59:55 pm »

Dibs on a slot.  I feel I don't need to justify my nomination.

The goal should not be to finish.  It's "done" when we look at it and say "fuck, this is too crazy for me" and tap out.  When the final person declared it too incredible, then, it's done.  Just let nature continue.

Also, this should clearly be 7 players, not 10.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »

You would have to channel all the way from the surface... through the pipes.. around the magma...

It would be glorious.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:01:34 pm »

Challenge : Every player should have a Dwarf, and that Dwarf must live until it dies of old age. Only until all have died, will it be over.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:32 pm »

That would be cool - but I'm thinking of making it a live stream and recording, and that's a pretty long challenge.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:04:43 pm »

I second the 7 player notion. Perhaps each Dorf should be renamed based on the nominees? The starting 7 being the 7 players, subsequent migrants and children named after the unsuccessful nominees.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:06:59 pm »

This must happen, if only so I can revel in the inevitable failure.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:07:21 pm »

The goal should not be to finish.  It's "done" when we look at it and say "fuck, this is too crazy for me" and tap out.  When the final person declared it too incredible, then, it's done.  Just let nature continue.

Also, this should clearly be 7 players, not 10.
I second both of these. "Tapping out", or giving up, quitting, going soft, becoming an elf, etc, means you lose. Then it's a battle even between the players... And that would be more chaotic than anything. 7 dwarves, 7 players... All simultaneously plotting each other's downfall.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:12:22 pm »

I wonder if we could hold a rush style of community game, like playing 1 season each.  It would ideally work while the people are online and could pass off the file immediately, perhaps abusing some type of drop-box, I'm sure google has invented a tool specifically for that.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:13:12 pm »

I just edited thread with ideas. I sorta like the battle idea but I want this to be sort of an ultimate DF tutorial to see how the pros play. Perhaps after we complete a good goal, we go into a chaos mode.

Then it's a battle even between the players... And that would be more chaotic than anything. 7 dwarves, 7 players... All simultaneously plotting each other's downfall.

That would be difficult and hilarious. I'm open to that idea if we can figure out how to execute it.

I wonder if we could hold a rush style of community game, like playing 1 season each.  It would ideally work while the people are online and could pass off the file immediately, perhaps abusing some type of drop-box, I'm sure google has invented a tool specifically for that.

Also an option. Edited thread.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »

It takes a bit to do the writeup, particularly if you have pictures. By "a bit", I mean a couple to several hours. Even for just a season. It would have to be mainly a non-picture update of how the fort is doing, leaving out most of the storywriting typical of succession games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18