Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 442315 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #2175 on: April 27, 2012, 01:39:37 am »

HugoLuman has been missing for a week.

Good thing I left behind the secrets to crimes against humanity via dentalfloss, transmuting pie, and many more in my journals.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: April 27, 2012, 01:43:10 am »

I am fortunate enough to know the secrets of civilization and art, life and death, pastries and wheat products, & were-creatures and forgotten beasts.

You would not believe what those FBs do when sentients aren't looking.
This space for rent

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: April 27, 2012, 01:51:38 am »

Actually, one secret I'd really love to know is my eye color.  Depending on the lighting and other factors, they look blue, green, grey, or hazel.  It took both my parents to figure out what color I should put on my driver's license, and I'm pretty sure we all got it wrong (we settled on blue).  Oh, and I'm pretty sure my right pupil is larger than my left, which is neither here nor there ("there" being "on the Moon").

I'd also love to know the secrets of work and focus.  And cheese; I can't stress that enough.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 27, 2012, 04:41:02 am »

Actually, one secret I'd really love to know is my eye color.  Depending on the lighting and other factors, they look blue, green, grey, or hazel.  It took both my parents to figure out what color I should put on my driver's license, and I'm pretty sure we all got it wrong (we settled on blue).  Oh, and I'm pretty sure my right pupil is larger than my left, which is neither here nor there ("there" being "on the Moon").

I'd also love to know the secrets of work and focus.  And cheese; I can't stress that enough.

Unfortunately the secrets of work and focus were lost to the world long ago. All who dwell within the fortresses of dwarves cannot discover them.
Which is quite the bummer, really.
This space for rent

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2179 on: April 27, 2012, 12:38:40 pm »

Loud Whispers journal, brief note.

Note 1:
  • Striking down Oliolli causes him to return more powerful than you could ever imagine.

That is all.

Note 2:
  • We require more minerals. Specifically sphalerite.

Wierd keeps taking all of the zinc :|

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: April 27, 2012, 12:46:16 pm »

Naryar has created Insanethread the Depths of Depravity, an iron cage !

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: April 27, 2012, 12:47:32 pm »

I have a defficiency!

:D

(Actually, why would I want zinc? I am more likely to steal native platinum, copper, lead, and chromite for the lab than zinc.  Why make a wasteful primary battery when you can make a cheap rechargable one?)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2182 on: April 27, 2012, 12:52:46 pm »

Batteries? I was thinking more about making delicious hydrogen. Lots of delicious hydrogen.

And begin making blimps.

Nothing will go wrong.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: April 27, 2012, 12:56:42 pm »

Delicous hydrogen?

We have purpetual motion machines. Hydroelectric power is cheap.

Carbon electrodes and distilled water, with high voltage and an electrolysis tube.

Requires a metal pressure vessel. Hydrogen is difficult to compress and store.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2184 on: April 27, 2012, 01:05:54 pm »

Glass blimp full of hydrogen. Pumps.

INVADE THE SKIES

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: April 27, 2012, 01:39:46 pm »

Blimps? I one-up you. Zeppelins!

Note 1:
  • Striking down Oliolli causes him to return more powerful than you could ever imagine.
1. That was more about the previous Oliolli becoming useless and having to be replaced.
2. It isn't very easy to strike one of us down. Requires some sort of divine intervention.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: April 27, 2012, 01:41:16 pm »

Bernoulli's principle surely applies here.

While hindendburg explodies are cool and all, I refuse to put my name on the blueprints. (I make aviation blueprints vocationally!)

DF has:

Copper
Aluminum (and ores)
Nickel
Chryolite
Purpetual motion machines
Charcoal

This is pretty much everything you need to make a knockoff 2025 aluminum alloy, mass produced aluminum, and real aircraft. 

Sure 2025 is corrosion prone, but you can use zinc instead of copper and get 7075 instead if you really need it.

2025 is an alloy of aluminum, approx 30% copper, and approx 15% nickel. 7075 substitutes zinc for copper, and has a few other things in it, like magnesium.

2025 is what ww2 era craft are made of.

Aluminum bronze (copper alloyed with aluminum) is hard and electrolytically safe for 2025 aluminum, and makes good-enough rivets. I doubt our rattletraps are gonna be supersonic you know.

Wing loft curvature is black magic voodoo involving parabolic surfaces and curve-continuity spline profiles, but I have seen designs from every major factory. (I work for an outsource supplier.) I can slap together something that will work.

I know how to calculate setback and K-factors for formed sheetmetal parts by hand, (a rare skill these days...) so I can approximate rivet hole locations for flat patterns prior to forming.

If we just use a twin prop design instead of a jet, and fuel it with biodiesel spiked with booze, we should have a nice low altitude craft banged out in a little under a year.

I nominate kobold test pilots.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: April 27, 2012, 01:47:26 pm »

Corai ! We need you !

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: April 27, 2012, 03:30:50 pm »

...fuel it with biodiesel spiked with booze...

Screw that; we have perpetual motion machines. A battery or so of small waterwheel reactors should provide enough rotational energy to power the rotors of a twin-engine plane. Substitute the weight of the fuel tanks for more generators. We'd also have an effectively unlimited range.

If we have an application that requires little speed and plenty of stability, like luxury airships or personnel transports, we can use a derigible design powered by such rotors, or even a multiple-rotor helicopter design.

It's all in the perpetual motion machines, man!

I admit that I may be overestimating the possible power output of dwarven waterwheels...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: April 27, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »

Weight to energy ratio:

While pupetual motion and zero point reactors have "inexhaustible supply", they are bulky, have limited "rate".

They are also fixed speed.

You like your plane to accellerate, right?
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 214