Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 441188 times)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #720 on: April 09, 2012, 08:25:29 pm »

Why engrave? Personally, I know how to make graphite pencils. Assuming the site has graphite, anyway. I could settle for charcoal or oak ink.

That's nice, but can you also mass produce paper?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »

The solution is simple: Make a quill, use dye for ink, and write our own tales. The Tales of the Twelfth Bay. Written not by a single author, but by those who had the mis/fortune of living there, passing the book between themselves as they came up with  a good story or give thier take on a particularlly jarring event and what led up to it.

It is a massive tome bound in giant kea leather. It menaces with spikes of dog bone and a nondescript grey stone. It is encrusted with various gemcuts. It bears it's words with paper made from quarry bush leaf fibers and a combination of redroot and dimple dye. On the back is an image of a dwarf and picks in in giant kea bone.  the dwarf is surrounded by the picks. On the front is an image of a mountain, a great '12' and humans in yak leather. The humans are surrounding the mountain and both are below the 12. The art relates to the foundation of The Twelfth bay by an unknown group of humans at an unknown time.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 09, 2012, 08:29:56 pm »

Why engrave? Personally, I know how to make graphite pencils. Assuming the site has graphite, anyway. I could settle for charcoal or oak ink.

That's nice, but can you also mass produce paper?

Don't need it. If we have animals, we can make vellum or parchment.

Anyway, reeds could be used to make paper.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 09, 2012, 08:34:24 pm »

Don't need it. If we have animals, we can make vellum or parchment.

Anyway, reeds could be used to make paper.

Okay, that will do. In that case the chisel is out, but I'm still sticking by my locked-in-a-room-with-no-food ploy.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 09, 2012, 08:35:03 pm »

Schist, I just realized, we'd lose the vast majority of really good books if we went into DF-land. Good thing I have Hitchhiker's and a bunch of Terry Pratchett on my iphone...

The problem being, then, what would I transcribe from the phone? The battery surely wouldn't last long enough to get them all..

I think there's a good chance than the majority of all books would be lost to us.

The solution to this problem is elementary; we simply lock anyone who has previously displayed any talent for writing, such as girlinhat, in a room with a chisel, and deny them food until they have turned the whole area into an original masterpiece of literature.

If not, then I shall go in and give them my own painful brand of motivation in order to ensure that the work is completed.

Well then it's a good thing I never wrote anything of note to anyone! >.>
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 09, 2012, 08:51:35 pm »

What use is a cat that cannot mew?
Cat. Tallow. Roast.
Isn't anybody in here listening at all?  >:(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:19 pm »

What use is a cat that cannot mew?
Cat. Tallow. Roast.
Isn't anybody in here listening at all?  >:(

"Urist, did you hear that? I think it's the wind talking."

@Kod(Kod)
I will personally toss over a copy of Zas Ebal from Swordthunders. Of course, you have to get a new one every turn...

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:46 pm »

"Okay, were in dwarf fortress, I vote we all kill Corai before he goes and starts some weird KodKod cult"

"...where is he anyw-WHERE IS OUR FOOD."

Food has been stolen!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 09, 2012, 09:36:32 pm »

I will have to put my hands up for the writing job. :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:56 pm »

Maybe being locked in a room will be the kick in the pants I need to finally finish my novel!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 09, 2012, 10:00:50 pm »

While I enjoy writing, and have the ability to write well, I'm lacking in skills that would be required to make a new story. I'd be much more suited to being a storyteller, or someone who writes stories of things that have happened rather than inventing my own.

So I'd probably read the ink-stained novels of the Twelfth Bay to all the dwarf migrants.
This space for rent

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #731 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did we just invent religion?

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 09, 2012, 10:05:19 pm »

I possess skills in hunting, fishing, animal care, butchery, farming, herbalism, cooking and (most importanly) brewing.  Name your poison and I can ferment or distill it... or it is of a more 'herbal' nature I can grow it (no I'm not a hippie btw).  Also if the position has not been taken I volunteer for Dungeon Master (or Beast Master may be more appropriate) due to my expertise with large and dangerous wildlife.

I also appreciate anything sharp and/or shiny so if we're overstocked on food producers and brewers I hereby volunteer to found, train and lead the First Legion of Elephant Cavalry, the Murdered Boats.  I will bring back two captives for every three foes I slay for live-fire training exercises and for the fort's Torturer (Kodkod, who else) to play with.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 09, 2012, 10:07:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did we just invent religion?

I'd say it's more of a way to catalog historical events from multiple viewpoints. If something interesting happened, everyone would want to take a whack at that tome. Of course, it could also contain some particularly entertaining literature as well.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #734 on: April 09, 2012, 10:09:10 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 214