Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: What is the point to anything more than low bookeeping precision?  (Read 13172 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point to anything more than low bookeeping precision?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 01:10:56 pm »

-15?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaetc....t the actual hell?!
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 01:11:22 pm »

-15?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaetc....t the actual hell?!
+15. In hell.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 01:16:30 pm »

z15 is 15 above ground.  ??? 

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 01:27:05 pm »

z15 is 15 above ground.  ???
146 or something for me, with the bottom being 70 zlevels below.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 01:32:25 pm »

You are making absolutely no sense, Blizz. I have a suspicion you are just saying random numbers out of context to be intentionally confusing, even.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 01:47:02 pm »

You are making absolutely no sense, Blizz. I have a suspicion you are just saying random numbers out of context to be intentionally confusing, even.
2 different occasions. In one world I know it ended at +15, while in another the surface was at about 146 and the lowest level about 70 levels down.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 01:52:28 pm »

Right, so "surface" is for you 146. It would then sort of make sense to have hell at 15, I guess.

However, that's not how it goes in my fort. In my fort 0 = surface, with my dump at -3, the stone to be hauled at -10 and the third cavern and such probably somewhere around -90. :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 01:53:57 pm »

how is 0 the surface on your fort?

100 is sea level.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 01:54:30 pm »

Right, so "surface" is for you 146. It would then sort of make sense to have hell at 15, I guess.

However, that's not how it goes in my fort. In my fort 0 = surface, with my dump at -3, the stone to be hauled at -10 and the third cavern and such probably somewhere around -90. :P
Now I get what you are saying. Sorry If you are getting confused but it is 9 in the evening up here in sweden.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 01:55:35 pm »

2 different occasions. In one world I know it ended at +15, while in another the surface was at about 146 and the lowest level about 70 levels down.

Ah.  Well there is the confusion, because vanilla DF has higher things being ABOVE zero, and lower things being BELOW zero, with zero as I believe the highest original z level with land in it.  It says right over on the right hand side of the screen, complete with a big old + or (vertical) - sign, and red black or green color coding... So people are going to assume that you are speaking in line with that system unless otherwise specified.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 01:59:27 pm »

Ah.  Well there is the confusion, because vanilla DF has higher things being ABOVE zero, and lower things being BELOW zero, with zero as I believe the highest original z level with land in it.  It says right over on the right hand side of the screen, complete with a big old + or (vertical) - sign, and red black or green color coding... So people are going to assume that you are speaking in line with that system unless otherwise specified.
I play vanilla.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 02:01:24 pm »

There's actually 2 different height indicators.

one is height above the alleged ground level for that embark square, the other is the absolute height

The absolute height is 100 at sea level, and goes up to a max of about 280 or so, in general.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 02:03:35 pm »

I'm talking about the single height indicator that shows up for me. Which firmly puts surface with my hatch covers, walls, bridge, above-ground farms etc. firmly at zeeeeeeroooooooo.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 02:04:35 pm »

I typically see two different numbers. One is relative to ground level, and changes with scrolling. One seems to be absolute, even though it can go negative.

In areas with a lot of verticality, I've dug about a hundred levels below the ground to find the first cavern. In my latest embark, the wagon is on level 106 and the bottom of the magma sea is on level -17.

Relative to ground level is at the top-right, and absolute is at the bottom-right.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2012, 02:06:05 pm »

I typically see two different numbers. One is relative to ground level, and changes with scrolling. One seems to be absolute, even though it can go negative.

In areas with a lot of verticality, I've dug about a hundred levels below the ground to find the first cavern. In my latest embark, the wagon is on level 106 and the bottom of the magma sea is on level -17.

Relative to ground level is at the top-right, and absolute is at the bottom-right.
I always look at the bottom right.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6