Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 95

Author Topic: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)  (Read 250171 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Minecarts (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #795 on: April 14, 2012, 02:29:30 am »

That story with the minecart-riding dwarf and the goblin put a great big grin on my face. Seriously, is there any other game in which things like this are/will be possible? DF is really one of a kind.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 14, 2012, 03:29:16 am »

Dwarven Super Colliders are easy to predict.

They'll cause lots of angry players as they have to reboot their computers   :D

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 14, 2012, 06:00:07 am »

is there any date that this update will come?  :)
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 14, 2012, 06:31:51 am »

so, we have thought up:

dwarven tanks
dwarven airstrikes
dwarven drive-by shootings
dwarven drop-pods (I cannot think of this in any way but a hl2 headcrab canister with a bright blue-clad dwarf climbing out)
dwarven cart assisted fist-o-ccelerators (I propose that this be the official term)

using a feature that isn't even released.

man I love this community.

xD Oh yes. This is somewhat par for the course; I am yet to see any new feature that Toady announces that doesn't become weaponised by the community within days.

Hell, I think we could find a way to weaponise farming when Toady overhauls it.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 14, 2012, 06:35:18 am »

The idea of an adventure mode railway sounds pretty awesome.

Don't forget dwarven gunships! Marksdwarves in airborne carts. Ridiculously impractical, potentially ineffective, difficult to set up and requires lots of careful calculations dead test subjects to line it up correctly. It must be done.

As for another idea: Mount marksdwarves in carts, and have them follow a circular track around a killing ground in your entrance. Like so:
Code: [Select]
/------\  The lines are the tracks, the g's unfortunate goblins.
| g g  |
|   g  |
|    g |
\------/
Maybe with fortifications between them and the goblins. Simply put, they're moving too fast to be hit!
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 14, 2012, 08:16:17 am »

I was thinking something like that, only with more carts and chaos.
Code: [Select]
/------g------\ Same layout as post above me
|/-----------\|
||/-g---g---\||
|||/-------\|||
||||/--g--\||||
|||||/---\|||||
▬▬▬▬▬▬+-+▬▬▬▬▬▬ The front wall, with entrance bridge in the middle. For safety and fun, make tracks come out of the wall z-level(s) above the ground.
I imagine something like this, with the carts loaded full of dwarves wielding all sorts of weapons to murder the goblins while plowing through them.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 14, 2012, 08:25:14 am »

Hell, I think we could find a way to weaponise farming when Toady overhauls it.
We already have, though it needs raw modding.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 14, 2012, 08:30:25 am »

Girlinhat just gave me an idea. What if we could attach superconductors to the minecarts? Mag-lev carts to the rescue!
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 14, 2012, 09:26:48 am »

Here's a question, do you think dwarves will be able to somehow sense when a cart is oncoming?  Like if you had a cart line go across a hallway, would the dwarves know to wait for a cart to pass, or just cross like normal and risk getting a speeding minecart in the face?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:19 am »

Quote from: Toady One
After getting dwarves to guide carts around properly (this is the most controlled option, but requires the dwarf to walk behind the cart the entire way), I turned to adventurers. You can now push off, guide, or jump in a cart while setting it in motion. It isn't very delicate with the timing, so if you are going fast you might travel a few tiles before you get a turn, at which point you can either wait and continue on your ride, or do something prudent/foolish like jumping out of the cart at the right/wrong time. We might allow for better timing when we get to the combat speed changes in the future, but this will do for now.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 14, 2012, 10:27:08 am »

Well somebody did figure out over in the adamantine science thread that if you were standing on the surface of the DF world you could actually feel the mass of slade at the bottom of the map. It wouldn't be much heavier then the weight of a dime or so, but it would actually be noticeable.
Depend on definition of "feel". (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavendish_experiment )
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 14, 2012, 10:30:01 am »

Here's a question, do you think dwarves will be able to somehow sense when a cart is oncoming?  Like if you had a cart line go across a hallway, would the dwarves know to wait for a cart to pass, or just cross like normal and risk getting a speeding minecart in the face?
we're talking about dwarves here... I'll put my money on minecart in the face. :P

ddonohu2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 14, 2012, 10:48:22 am »

Many of the designs described here should not work, given what we have been told. When a military dwarf sees a goblin they attack, including marks dwarfs who are out of ammo. They aren't going to sit happily and take a few swings. So what you'll end up with is mine carts plowing through dwarfs and goblins indiscriminately. What you need is either dry moats surrounding your tracks or tracks +1 or more z's above the enemy(and dodging may even render either of these less useful). Alternately, if the path of a mine cart's flight can be predetermined with great accuracy you could have three by three holes in the floor, the middle hole of which would be temporarily occupied by a dwarf carrying cart at the zenith of it's parabola. Like wack-a-mole, except the mole is wildly firing a crossbow.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 14, 2012, 10:55:31 am »

we're talking about dwarves here... I'll put my money on minecart in the face. :P
Toady gave dwarves (any species?) a large bonus to dodging the minecart if they were in open space. That to me implies this is all they'll get for minecart accident prevention. Dwarves are expected to cross railpaths without looking either way and think nothing of having to jump out of the way when they get unlucky.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 14, 2012, 10:58:47 am »

I'll build a cart circuit outside in my next fort, so that my dwarves can feast on roadkill.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 95