Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Carts and tracks  (Read 29491 times)

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carts and tracks
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »

You know what blows my mind about this update though? It is going to happen in the next month or two.

Well, that more a hope than a guarantee. Sometimes these things turn into months and months of fixing unexpected bugs or Toady figuring out that he has to rewrite an entire chunk of structure to accomodate changes (like rewriting how personal appearance data was stored in order to accomodate vampires and zombies and syndromes). I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.
But this won't be like the wait between 31.25 and 34.XX. Its just so awesome that this is something that is Coming Soon To A Fortress Near You!
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2012, 03:29:23 pm »

But this won't be like the wait between 31.25 and 34.XX. Its just so awesome that this is something that is Coming Soon To A Fortress Near You!

Just be careful about counting your chickens before they hatch. 

Remember that cities took about a couple months, then, all of a sudden, Toady detoured into making mummies and such, and wound up tacking another 9 months or so to the time it took to release 34.01 because of interactions being so difficult to code, and those were never part of his initial plans for that release.

None of the year-longish releases were initially planned to take that long.  Toady just kept extending it as there were always unforeseen hiccups and things he suddenly decided he needed to add at the time.

He might release in a month, he might suddenly decide to add the whole sphere system into the way mineral veins are shaped for minecarts to explore, and all of a sudden we have a 8-month delay so that Toady can make "ocean sphere" hemitite different from "sky sphere" hemitite.

Or in other words, if you have a fortress going now, go ahead and play it as it lies, and just prepare for a pleasant surprise if he releases in a month or so.  That way, if he doesn't release that soon, you'll at least have had fun with the fortress you have now.  (It's not like there isn't plenty to enjoy about training animals for right now, right?  Savor what you've got.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2012, 03:46:52 pm »

You know what blows my mind about this update though? It is going to happen in the next month or two.

Well, that more a hope than a guarantee. Sometimes these things turn into months and months of fixing unexpected bugs or Toady figuring out that he has to rewrite an entire chunk of structure to accomodate changes (like rewriting how personal appearance data was stored in order to accomodate vampires and zombies and syndromes). I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

Toady suffers of featuritis. It is incurable.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »

This probably belongs in future of the fortress, but I really want to know if a minecart passing under a waterfall will automatically fill up with water. (Same goes for a minecart passing under a magmafall, cue implementation and profit)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2012, 04:19:22 pm »

This probably belongs in future of the fortress, but I really want to know if a minecart passing under a waterfall will automatically fill up with water. (Same goes for a minecart passing under a magmafall, cue implementation and profit)
In related query, going back to my mobile crucible idea...if items inside a magma-proof cart *aren't* affected by the magma (and require an operator), then you suddenly have a system capable of building a railway to Hell. And/or the ultimate defense system: access to the fort is only by minecart, which tracks through a magmafall. You could even use them as emergency shelters if your FTW lever gets flipped by accident.

EDIT: the above would apply to water too, so you have have an underwater entrance, or an entrance route that dips down through an artificial lake before coming up on the other side of a wall. Oh the possibilities either way...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »

I'd actually be fine if Toady takes his sweet time on this; I'm not really an adventurer or modder person, so although the wait from .31 to .34 was huge to those sorts of people, it's not really something I found that interesting.

But this, this will all be awesome. Minecarts? Changing the way veins work? Bring it on, bro.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2012, 04:49:42 pm »

It sounds from the devlogs like toady has already gotten basic carts working in game. It's hard to say whether they have mass or physics, but it does sound like they at the very least follow tracks and may already be able to be launched. Maybe 3-4 weeks until they're fully implemented and next release is my guess, assuming no bloating occurs (and that's an awful big assumption)

Also, I highly doubt dwarves will be able to ride minecarts. I don't wanna crush your dreams I just don't see it happening in the current framework unless Toady makes some much deeper code changes (which he might do, but it's a little much to expect right now)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2012, 06:09:28 pm »

So if a cart went under a magmafall, filled with magma, then under a waterfall, would you get a cart filled with obsidian?

(I think you should get a shattered cart from the thermal shock)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2012, 03:30:45 am »

I have to admit I was kind of sceptical about the utility of the minecarts and tracks thing.

But after reading the dev-diary the last few days I'm convinced that it will bring new hights of FUN to the game and can't wait to play around with them.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2012, 04:11:37 am »

Maybe 3-4 weeks until they're fully implemented

your post is hilarious in context considering he said he alluded he was close to done today.

honestly, if Toady keeps up this rate of mad frenzy work he will probably be done in 1-2.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2012, 04:34:54 am »

Maybe 3-4 weeks until they're fully implemented

your post is hilarious in context considering he said he alluded he was close to done today.

honestly, if Toady keeps up this rate of mad frenzy work he will probably be done in 1-2.

Yeah the latest devlog surprises me a ton. If I'm not mistaken all that's left is getting animals to haul, feeding stations and maybe some dwarven AI tweaks to get them hauling right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2012, 05:03:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

you mean alcohol of course. everyone knows Toady is actually a dwarf.
that said, he got a strange mood sometime in the early 2000's and is still gathering materials to date.

although in all honesty, i have rarely seen Toady get a full feature nearly 100% implemented THIS fast.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2012, 05:07:41 am »

Kerchunk. Kerchunk. Kerchunk.

These carts will surely inspire more than one legendary thread on the forums.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2012, 05:09:23 am »

In SA's forum people are joking about how Toady was killed and replaced by someone. Bad jokes aside, Toady was always very productive, it just happens that he sometimes (*ahem*) sidetracks too much.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2012, 07:14:20 am »

Ok, so latest dev update states pretty clearly that it is one cart per track. We are heading for transport tycoon dwarf edition here :)
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11