Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 57155 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2013, 03:56:47 pm »

Not sure if it'll be a specific multiplier, but 5-10 times as much. I figure it won't be that big an issue since they're normally extremely rare. :P

Also i believe i can now answer MZ's question of what would happen if you set it to maximum apeshit and EPIC MAN MODE >:C

every single one of those shots will kill you
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 28, 2013, 04:30:34 pm »

But does the whole screen light up like a fireworks display if you get a hit on one of them? That's what I want.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2013, 07:04:14 pm »

It pretty much already does when you die, but i suppose it can't hurt to have a specific apeshit death event that cranks it up to 17. :U

Also, today i have mainly been brawling with the issue of slowdowns, which, although not particularly bad on my desktop PC at 60 FPS, are bound to happen on less powerful PCs and/or on higher frame rates. I call this fancy thing "dynamic speed adjustment", since it uses the desired frame rate and measured frame rate to increase the game speed when the game lags behind, so as to provide a more stable pace of play. As mentioned, it's not really significant on an up to date PC running at 60 FPS, but some of you probably already know that Game Maker isn't the most optimized game engine ever. I'm going to try optimizing further though, because at the moment, this dynamic speed adjustment isn't flawless, and at times gets some pretty funky results. Optimizing the game itself, along with refining the adjustment system, will probably net a pretty stable game speed on most systems. If all else fails, you can just turn down the frame rate to 30, in which case it probably won't ever go any slower. :U

Edit: Ok so that system pretty much works fine now, there are only brief periods of game speed mismatch when it can't quite react quickly enough. Faster reaction time would impact the accuracy though, and i don't really feel comfortable making it more inaccurate than it is (counts 5 frame intervals).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:56:40 am by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2013, 07:35:05 pm »

[wedging intensifies]

You see how they're unevenly placed on the top screenie? That's because they're vibrating quite vigorously. Oh, and every single one of them explodes into 12 shots (you may be able to count 16 on the lower screenie, i have changed the number since then). I've also found it necessary to eliminate the super shot chain reactions, but despair not, the super shot explosions by themselves are plenty destructive! ... And also plenty dangerous for you since most apeshit enemies explode into at least a few lasers upon death. The green wedges are currently the biggest offenders though, since that's kind of everything they have going for them at all, besides a buffed health pool.

I expect to make apeshit variants of most enemies before 0.9 gets released, since it's pretty fun to just... Y'know, go apeshit. It being fun also helps it proceed much faster than, say, level design, which is painfully slow because of how tedious it is. At least there aren't many levels left to be doing. :P

Also, regarding the dynamic speed adjustment, it works so well that i almost forgot that i was playing at 120 FPS all the time, which would otherwise be marked by frequent and significant slowdowns. I AM PROUD OF THIS SYSTEM. It does have a few unexpected and annoying side effects in other places, but i'm working on removing those.

The biggest problem right now? Using spread beam supers with splinter guns on full apeshit causes a LONG freeze in the game, since it has to calculate all the collisions (currently AT LEAST 10 super beams per killed enemy, spread beam super frequently kills 10+ enemies), that would otherwise be spread over many frames, in one single frame. I think some optimizing can be done to mitigate that, but at the moment i fear i have to replace the beam super explosions with regular pulse supers. :c (either that, or don't play on full apeshit you maniac)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2013, 07:39:28 pm »

This game, man.
So much explosion.
I love.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2013, 12:31:37 am »

This game, man.
So much explosion.
I love.
Yes. Indeed.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2013, 01:11:52 am »

This game is really fun. Now that I've played it for a bit, I think I'll leave a review-ish thing.

Gameplay
Pretty good. Shooting large amounts of spaceships is always fun. All the upgrades are cool. The only real problem is the lag.

Art & Sound
The background and special effects are great, and the sprites are good, but it seems like it could use a bit more animation. The music is excellent, and the sound effects are fine.

Replay Value
While it's a pretty satisfying game, it doesn't really have that much of a reason to replay it. It can be fun playing on more and more difficult settings, though. The upside

Suggestions & Nitpicks
The fact that the window title is the score and not the name of the game really bugs me for some reason. Personally, I think it'd be better if it said Angry Laser Space, since the score is right there, but it doesn't matter a whole lot. If I remember correctly, GameMaker does the score thing, so if you're using that, that would be why.

More upgrades would increase replay value significantly; currently, you can get all the upgrades in a single game. It might be neat if you could choose between more powerful shots and faster shots, or if there were just a lot more choices available. Also, the skill menu might be more interesting as a full skill tree, though that might be difficult and would require more skills.

The ability to customize your spaceship would be neat. Maybe you could unlock options by collecting medals and winning on higher difficulties?

Spoiler: Final Score (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:16:10 am by Elephant Parade »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2013, 01:14:16 am »

This game is really fun. Now that I've played it for a bit, I think I'll leave a review-ish thing.

Gameplay
Pretty good. Shooting large amounts of spaceships is always fun. All the upgrades are cool. The only real problem is the lag.

Art & Sound
The background and special effects are great, and the sprites are good, but it seems like it could use a bit more animation. The music is excellent, and the sound effects are fine.

Replay Value
While it's a pretty satisfying game, it doesn't really have that much of a reason to replay it. It can be fun playing on more and more difficult settings, though. The upside

Suggestions & Nitpicks
The fact that the window title is the score and not the name of the game really bugs me for some reason. Personally, I think it'd be better if it said Angry Laser Space, since the score is right there, but it doesn't matter a whole lot. If I remember correctly, GameMaker does the score thing, so if you're using that, that would be why.

More upgrades would increase replay value significantly; currently, you can get all the upgrades in a single game. It might be neat if you could choose between more powerful shots and faster shots, or if there were just a lot more choices available. Also, the skill menu might be more interesting as a full skill tree, though that might be difficult and would require more skills.

The ability to customize your spaceship would be neat. Maybe you could unlock options by collecting medals and winning on higher difficulties?

I see no lag, even on EPIC MAN MODE >:C.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2013, 01:15:08 am »

Weird. I guess it must be my computer. Odd, since it doesn't use up much memory or CPU.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2013, 01:24:17 am »

Weird. I guess it must be my computer. Odd, since it doesn't use up much memory or CPU.
I do have a pretty beastly rig. >_>;; Maybe that has something to do with it.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2013, 09:07:37 am »

Lag is a fairly well known issue, given that this IS Game Maker, and thus doesn't run nearly as fast as you'd expect a sprite-based game to do. I don't think v0.6 has the in-game optimizations i've done, however, so you can expect a much better frame rate from v0.9, along with the previously mentioned dynamic speed adjustment, which should help further mitigate lag issues (if you enable it, that is). But, REVIEW! I AM THANKFUL, ALLOW ME TO ADDRESS IN DETAIL:

Gameplay
Glad you like the simple premise! c:

Art & Sound
Believe it or not, the background is a placeholder, i think. It's the same one throughout the entire game, and i'm probably going to add a few more things to it. The music you hear is also temporary, since we've gotten hold of a dedicated musician to make a unique soundtrack for the entire game!
Regarding animations though, i can see what you mean, but i'm not wholly sure how to animate solid objects like space ships beyond their thrusters (which, for every enemy besides the third boss, are part of their sprites, which further complicates animation). If you're primarily referring to the player and the first boss, then i agree, they do need some more animation, especially the players "move sideways" animation could do with a couple more frames. :I

Replay Value
What upside? :U
It's true, there's not much replay value at the moment. We (or at least I) have kind of run out of space and ideas for more upgrades though, and as it stands, you NEED as many upgrades as you can get in the late game, because stage 18-19 are MERCILESS, and the final boss (which won't be in this version) will flat out murder you if you don't keep your wits and reflexes about.
What i'm thinking we could do, however, is to later on add a New Game+ mode, where you replay the game with all your upgrades... But all enemies get upgraded to a higher tier, including the bosses. Also, another possibility is the addition of an endless mode, although that would require us to add in a fairly large selection of enemy formations to choose between, or at least some cool way to procedurally generate new levels.

Suggestions & Nitpicks
Oh yes, gotta do something about that, it annoys me as well. Fortunately, it is possible to change it, so that's what i'm going to do. :U

The biggest hurdle with this is to think of new upgrades. One could have things like drones and periodic homing missiles... But i don't feel like they'd fit in very well, since i don't want the base game to be reliant on things that you don't control. All these upgrades we have at the moment improve YOUR capabilities, and don't take away any of your action apart from making enemies die faster and making you harder to kill.
Part of me also wouldn't let something like drones get away with being unhittable, so you'd be annoyed having to buy them all over again. Unless, of course, they were added as late-game things for when you've already purchased all upgrades...

We've thought about that, but the amount of work required to make things fit together outweighs the benefits. The biggest problem is that the player ship has a turning animation; if we were to, say, add more wings, then each set of wings would require a set of frames for turning, meaning 3-5 additional sprites per part. What we could and probably might end up doing, however, is to at least have a selection of ship appearances to choose between.
Also, winning? Well, the game does have an end, but it's not so much a win as it's running out of levels. The true win condition won't be in before 1.0. :U

Hahah, fair enough yo, i'm just glad you took the time to give it a little review at all! I appreciate all feedback, because i intend to have us make this game as fun and bug-free as we can, and sometimes i forget things because they've been there for a LONG time.

edit: also boolet

i probably shouldn't spoil every single apeshit enemy but this is too much fun
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:12:04 am by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:37 pm »

If you want more upgrade ideas, let us know and we can crank out a couple dozen, I'm sure.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2013, 01:08:47 pm »

The upside
Not sure what that sentence was going to be. As for the menu being too small, I recommend having a thing at the bottom that allows you to switch between pages of upgrades.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #253 on: December 04, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »

That's definitely not a bad idea, if we are to implement more upgrades. At the moment though, we have other priorities. :P

@MZ: Of that i am in no doubt, however i'm not sure i even WANT to put in more upgrades. :I

oh yeah also hello hi

still subject to change
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 04, 2013, 01:12:26 pm »

Well right now the upgrade system favors making the ship generally better. Maybe you could have 3 upgrade trees that focus on speed/maneuverability, survivability, and GUNZ respecitvely?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26