Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CAN spawn creatures with interactions!  (Read 10451 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Can (sorta) spawn creatures with interactions!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:13:44 pm »

Yes, even hostile ones are counted as members, had a lot of fortresses still running with 0 dwarves. But they still wont do any work. Please proof me wrong on that one ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »

Gah.

You're right.  They don't do work :'(.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 01:21:08 am »

Double posting with new findings:

They don't do work, but their children seem to be part of the entity.  Just had a set of 'flayer tadpoles (a non-entity creature) born and instantly turn themselves into regular 'flayers.  The 'flayer children seem normal so far, the first thing two of them did was lay claim to mom and dad's discarded clothing, and put it on. 

It will be at least a year more before I can get them to mature, though, and I'm probably going to have to start over with a new fort.  I kinda forgot the new importance of clothing, and the adult 'flayers are all currently tantruming because their civilization hasn't invented pants or shoes.

EDIT:  Modded a reaction to produce pants and shoes :)

EDIT:  One child went stark raving mad over the lack of shoes.  The other is currently following the leader around, in an attempt to complain at him.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:49:57 am by D_E »
Mods I've done:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:16 am »

Best of luck. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:24 am »

One child has matured.  He seems basically fine, he's killed a raven and built some beds and stuff for me. 

There is some weirdness associated with him, it seems he can't command military squads, but can be in them, and he has no name or natural skills.

Is this what you saw with the slaves?  I've been reading your mod's thread and I'm not sure.
Mods I've done:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 02:21:23 am »

He has to become a historical figure, either by making a masterwork or scoring a important kill. Or an artefact. Hugo figured that one out. :)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 02:25:51 am »

So it seems that we CAN spawn creatures with interactions.  Fort mode takes a drawn out workaround, but it mostly seems to work.

EDIT:  The last part of the puzzle is that in fort mode the only things you can control are castes of your primary species.  But we can add pop-ratio 0 castes that rarely come as migrants (I've found pop-ratio 0 does not really mean 0)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:29:03 am by D_E »
Mods I've done:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 02:32:21 am »

set pop ratio to 1, pop ratio for all other castes to 10000. Problem mostly solved ;)

So how exactly did you get your working civ member, by making friendlies that breed new members for you ? Does it work with tame, trainable pets as well ?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 02:42:00 am »

I transformed two of my starting seven into a male and female breeder. 

In this test the offspring immediately transformed into illithids, but in the future they will remain tadpoles and will need a reaction catalyzed by a prisoner to transform into adults.
Mods I've done:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 02:45:45 am »

So you need dwarves that constantly, or at least till they give birth, are transformed. (Correct?)

This would mean that quick reactions in workshops, using the original idea of falling-off-limbs, raising-limb-as-creature does not work ?

Ah, hell, I just wait till you are done and post some raws ^^ ;)

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 03:00:26 am »

Yes and no. The limb dropping method doesn't work, at least not for that.  But you can produce whatever you want at a workshop, as long as you do the setup first.

The idea is that the breeders are created in advance, and remain transformed for the life of the fortress.  Their whole purpose is to pump out offspring that can be transformed via further reactions into anything you want.

Running a fortress based on the breeder idea will be irritating, since all the created creatures will be under permanent transformation interactions, which closes off that whole avenue.

It'll work for my Illithids, though, and it also allows for the relatively easy creation of controllable golems etc.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:02:18 am by D_E »
Mods I've done:

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: CAN spawn creatures with interactions!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 04:38:36 am »

Could you mod a syndrome for gremlins in such a way that, when hit by water, they multiply?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 08:40:04 am »

Could you mod a syndrome for gremlins in such a way that, when hit by water, they multiply?

This can easily be done, some with magma. But only in water, not in rain. They have to stand on a flooded tile.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 02:00:00 pm »

You can probably do this using the "only in water" token from the squid's ink-cloud interaction.  As Meph noted, it would only take effect when the gremlin is dunked in a full tile of water.

How flexible is the environment-interaction system?  Could you make a special type of rain for savage regions that causes gremlins to multiply or some such?

_______

Oo...  More limb-dropping fun, an evil weather effect that causes dwarves to drop hostile zombie doppelgangers!
_______

More limb-dropping fun:  do creatures that have been transformed use the ITEMCORPSE tag of their new creature type?  If so you can use limb-dropping to make caste-specific reactions.

Narhirils double-transformation trick ...

What is Narhiril's double-transformation trick?  Is it putting two body transformations on timers?
Mods I've done:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »

Oo...  More limb-dropping fun, an evil weather effect that causes dwarves to drop hostile zombie doppelgangers!
_______

More limb-dropping fun:  do creatures that have been transformed use the ITEMCORPSE tag of their new creature type?  If so you can use limb-dropping to make caste-specific reactions.

Fun is to be had :) I dont know about the rain, but a fog is definetly possible. I dont know about the itemcorpse. What do you mean by caste specific reactions ?  The limb is a bodypart, not a corpse. You cant make the dwarf drop a limb that uses the itemcorpse. Only if you kill the creature you get one.

Narhiril found out that a transformed creature that dies reverts back to normal. As in: Dog to Cat, Cat dies, become Dog Corpse. Now the dog corpse can be targeted with a new transformation, to transform it into a sheep. It comes to life, immediatly goes sheep, and ignores the cat transformation (which is still active, in theory, but cant transform the dog, since it is already transformed into a sheep.) If you dont mind killing/resurrecting a creature (no problem with hostiles/animals, but bad for dwarves) than you can do unlimited transformations on one creature.
Pages: 1 [2] 3