Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3943918 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 11: Assault
« Reply #16335 on: October 04, 2013, 02:52:40 pm »

((And yet, a few minutes is still only a few minutes for data analysis, risk analysis, and planning.))
((-.-
you realize that you do exactly that while playing a FPS, repeatedly, over time periods of less than a second, right?
I see it as reasonable for them to think of this with only 10 seconds warning, let alone several minutes))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16336 on: October 04, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »

((And yet, a few minutes is still only a few minutes for data analysis, risk analysis, and planning.))
((-.-
you realize that you do exactly that while playing a FPS, repeatedly, over time periods of less than a second, right?
I see it as reasonable for them to think of this with only 10 seconds warning, let alone several minutes))

((Remember though, they shouldn't have had the time or the communication capabilities to respond to our surprise attack so fast. The reason Milno's team took out their objective was to cut of their communications and render them blind, so to speak (while also disabling a lot of their defenses).
I think it is safe to assume there is more going on than what we were presented with, what with nonstandard sensors, above-average sods, missing hangars and the like, not to mention they knew extremely fast of our dislike for civilian casualties. While it looks longer from a player perspective, in-game only 20 minutes or so (I think, just a guesstimate though) have passed since the beginning of the assault phase.

Not saying it's impossible or even implausible, just saying that it shouldn't be possible if everything went according to plan. Which it obviously doesn't anymore.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16337 on: October 04, 2013, 03:11:06 pm »

((In an FPS, you have nothing to lose and there are a limited array of options for you and your enemy. Plus, it takes time and manpower to:

A. find someone to examine the past few minutes of footage;
B. gather suffucient evidence to overcome common knowledge;
C. come to the conclusion that these mass murdering criminal psychopaths actually care about civilians for some reason;
D. decide that the situation is desperate enough to risk civilians' lives on the bet that this isn't a trick, the giant robots and amp users and such can't get around the issue [hint: they've already found some ways to] and that the higher chance of victory is worth the massive negative PR;
E. round up civilians willing to be human shields but unable to resist, plus tower/riot shields and rope;
F. tie said civilians to the shields;
G. hand said civilian shields to some sods; and
H. get the sods to the team's location.

...especially without communications.

Unless they have either an extremely reckless and efficient commander, capable of making a literally life-or-death decision in hopes that it would help more than it devastated, AND a secret method of communication unknown to Steve, which adds to the major gaps in Steve's knowledge; OR they prepared at least several steps of this beforehand.))

((Aaand ninja.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: October 04, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »

((...
somehow I was assuming they had communications back up ever since the teams split.
the situation made a lot more sense when I assumed that))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16339 on: October 04, 2013, 03:33:01 pm »

((Those guys were preparing the planet to hold out against an invasion by a superior force or a worker uprising. Of course they have some comms. Once you consider what they were preparing for and that those guys are SpecOps, the best of the best, trained to pursue victory at any cost, this all makes more sense.))

((@RadioControlled: You could ask help from the defense team. I'm sure Pancaek would be very useful to you right about now. Or if you're fine with civvies getting killed you could ask us to send someone.))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:38:43 pm by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16340 on: October 04, 2013, 03:53:20 pm »

>Alright people, recent events have made it clear that we've got unknown participants in this conflict. Probably Urban Executors. Maybe a shadow walker. This is the opposite of good. New precautions must be taken.

Avoid windows if possible.

Beware teammates acting strangely or showing signs of physical or mental damage.

Do not trust Civilians or those that appear to be civilians.

Report any and all feelings of mental intrusion or feelings of physical sickness.

Assume all sods are under the control of men trained specifically to deal with you and situations like this. No matter what they're armed with, consider them an immediate and significant threat.

No communications except via radio. Do not speak.

Attempt to disguise who is in charge. Cycle who takes point and who takes rear. Leaders will be the first targets.

And Team leaders, I'm rescinding the ban on civilian casualties. It's damn clear they're gonna try to use that against us and we cannot let them get that sort of upper hand. Attempt, I repeat, attempt to minimize them. Do not kill unless you must, but if you must, do not hesitate.

Miyamoto, I want you in that control room now. Just punch your way up through the floors if you have to.

Jim, I don't care how you do it, but get to that ARES node. You've got the mental capacities for it.

And Joker team. It seems we're having a change of plans. Milno, it seems like you and your two squadmates are in the best possible position to go hunting for these bastards. They won't see you as a threat as long as you maintain your cover. Leave your position there and head for the top of the building. There should be routes available for you in the maintenance sectors. You're looking for anything out of place.

Be advised. The standard armament for a Shadow walker includes a LESHO rifle and there's a chance they're using nuclear tipped shells. We're on a not dying in a thermonuclear fireball timer here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16341 on: October 04, 2013, 03:53:38 pm »

((Well, the HMRC isn't exactly a peacekeeping force... given the circumstances, it's preferable to kill the civvies as collateral than lose the fight. I mean... it's not like the HMRC never did this before or anything.
Most probable scenarios I can see working otherwise... Auron could try for a tangent with the prototype - an area attack, if the surfaces around the sods are metal - it likely won't kill them, but should at least stun. Or Miyamoto could locally make gravity go towards the back wall, knocking the sods on their asses and allowing Bishop to get a few shots in past the shields.))

((Yeah, but still, let's at least try to do this without killing them before we just say 'to hell with it' and kill everything everywhere. And if I had a decomp there are loads of ways to do this, but without it I think a small but long heatblade is one of the safer options.))

And RC you're forgetting you could use your giant laser

((How exactly? Besides cutting a hole in the floor, using the laser would still neatly bisect the civs. And the building, for that matter.
(And yes, I know getting cut in two isn't permadeath in this universe, but I find it kinda... lame to just kill everything with the justification that they can all be brought back later. Kinda takes the tension and drama out of situations like this.)

((My point is...what if this is all faked? What if Steve is still serving the UWM, and this is all just trying to keep the people in line now that there isn't any external threat? After all, what better to convince people to continue working together than the threat of high-tech psychopaths lead by a rogue AI that will show up and destroy everything you love?))

((I kinda think that, if this was what they were going for, there would be easier and less elaborate ways to do it. Remember, there are still hostile aliens that humanity is fighting, like the Heabi or something like that. Don't think they'd need to create such an artificial external threat really. And if they did, just landing the ship, letting the inmates out telling them they have 'shore leave' would be enough to have the planet burning within a few hours.))

((Those guys were preparing the planet to hold out against an invasion by a superior force or a worker uprising. Of course they have some comms. Once you consider what they were preparing for and that those guys are SpecOps, the best of the best, trained to pursue victory at any cost, this all makes more sense.))

((@RadioControlled: You could ask help from the defense team. I'm sure Pancaek would be very useful to you right about now. Or if you're fine with civvies getting killed you could ask us to send someone.))

((Thanks for the offer, but I'd like to try to finish this with the people we've got here. Otherwise we could've just asked for a small army, seeing how many players this game has. Besides, we can't really wait for reinforcements, it would take too long before they get here, the sods are just a hallway away. Also, bridge is destroyed, so only flying people or lucky matter amp users are getting here. Or people who can jump extremely well.))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:55:33 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: October 04, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »

"...They already know we're here and we have to move quickly. Fuck caution."

Jim pokes his mace into the lasers to see if they'll cut it apart or merely sense it. If the former, there will be an order to tunnel around them. If the latter, time to advance. But stay at least a little cautious.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: October 04, 2013, 04:44:04 pm »

ACK! IM BEING MINDRAPED! THE CIVVIES ARE A LIE! KILL THEM! KILL THEM NOW!

begin screaming at the top of my lungs, set gungnirs output levels down to more taserlike levels then set it to automatically fire indiscriminately at the metal of the shields while i use miyamoto's amp to create large blade of pure heat at ankle height thats angled to cause the sods to fall over backwards

Edit: actually lets not play with a murder amp so soon after a mental intrusion.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:55:24 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16344 on: October 04, 2013, 04:59:13 pm »

(Damn, I didn't know you got a secret will roll. I thought you were just talking shit to any cameras to disguise the fact you wanted to use your amp. XD)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: October 04, 2013, 05:02:20 pm »

(Damn, I didn't know you got a secret will roll. I thought you were just talking shit to any cameras to disguise the fact you wanted to use your amp. XD)
((GAH! Why did i not think of that?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16346 on: October 04, 2013, 05:25:22 pm »

Well, since we aren't bypassing the sensors... Use shield to cover team when Jim triggers sensors. Assuming no explosion, take point and run full speed towards our objective while keeping an eye out for threats (and a cameye too), make sure the team keeps their distance from me and from each other so that no trap can take all of us out.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16347 on: October 04, 2013, 05:33:33 pm »

((Why doesnt jim just amp the roof, climb up, walk past the sensors then amp the floor and drop back down?))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:35:55 pm by Unholy_Pariah »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16348 on: October 04, 2013, 05:41:12 pm »

(Roof could collapse and injure the team, or block our progress. :\)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16349 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:11 pm »

And RC you're forgetting you could use your giant laser
((How exactly? Besides cutting a hole in the floor, using the laser would still neatly bisect the civs. And the building, for that matter.
(And yes, I know getting cut in two isn't permadeath in this universe, but I find it kinda... lame to just kill everything with the justification that they can all be brought back later. Kinda takes the tension and drama out of situations like this.)
((That's exactly what I'm talking about. First you deal with those Sods (one of the ways you can do that is by cutting a hole in front of them). Then you ask Steve "Hey, is there anything important over me?". Then you cut a hole above you (not directly above you, don't want debris falling on you; not that it would hurt you). Then you jump/climb up with your superstrength. Then you do ? ? ?. Then you get tokens.))
((Thanks for the offer, but I'd like to try to finish this with the people we've got here. Otherwise we could've just asked for a small army, seeing how many players this game has. Besides, we can't really wait for reinforcements, it would take too long before they get here, the sods are just a hallway away. Also, bridge is destroyed, so only flying people or lucky matter amp users are getting here. Or people who can jump extremely well.))
((The bridge on your level was not the only one. In fact, you could have climbed higher from the Sword section and used a higher bridge to cross. But you're right about the other things.))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:04:51 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1256