Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3943617 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #15390 on: July 27, 2013, 04:38:42 pm »

Less of a full fledged game, more for a puzzle sort of thing. Crime scene sort of thing where the players are placed at the scene of a murder and have to guess how it all went down and why using nothing but environmental clues. A sort of sherlock holmes deduction game with little stories played out via the scenes.

I wouldn't play because I'm not intuitive enough to be good at such a game but I would be quite interested in watching it. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #15391 on: July 27, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »

"Oh hell radio's shot"
fix radio
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15392 on: July 27, 2013, 07:13:44 pm »

((You're guys are forgetting that we have things like explosive depressurising, and that people have stays far longer than four minutes in vacuum before returning to robot body. And we've had that since the beginning. So I don't know how it is a surprise.))
((That's because the Sword has facilities that can effectively bring someone back from the dead. They're still dead beforehand, and we don't really have the facilities here to preserve the brain to be revived. In all cases of vacuum exposure before this, it's either been to short for permanent damage or the environment has been enough to keep the brain preserved long enough to get it back to the Sword. We have the former in this situation (which shouldn't be happening anyways, between my lack of action towards actually working on Auron's project and UP's action saying that he leaves when I accept to wait in life support), but we sure as heck don't have the latter (factor of time, the environment might be fine for short-term, but we have at least a few months left here).
((Do you have a freezer? Barring that, a refrigerator?))
((The morgue should serve for corpse preservation, at least for the short term.))
((Paris:  Nice call on the star examination.))
((I don't get it. Does the slow-time field extend all the way to the nebula or what? If it just extended up, say, 10 miles, the exact same photons would hit the top of the 10-mile-high ceiling as that spot in the fast- or normal-time zones. You'd be minutes off, not millenia.))
((It's like this:
First of all, I don't understand what you're saying, but I'll try to explain what we know to the best of my ability, hopefully answering your questions in the process.
Second, these aren't time distortions, they're bad alien imitations, probably using some form of those kinetic-manipulators-whose-name-I-always-forget. There are many clues as to why that is, but the most definitive is that the lower the mass of an object, the more it seems to be affected by the field. Light is the most affected of all, since it has no mass.
Third, photons travel slowly through the field. So photons that were captured on the ceiling of the anomaly (which doesn't extend ridiculously high above the planet) will travel very slowly through it and towards the bottom. When they exit at the bottom, they will be seen by me. Since the photons travel so slowly through the "stop" zone (remember, rocks go so slow they seem to stop in one zone and since photons are affected even more then rocks, they will go even slower) countless years will pass before they will reach the bottom. It's like when you look at the Andromeda galaxy, you're watching its past, because the distance between here and there are extremely large, only now this effect is due to the speed of light slowing due to alien space magic. For example, if we say C=10-15c is the speed of light in the anomaly and the ceiling of the anomaly is ten miles high, then it would take a pulse of light approximately 1700 years to reach the bottom.
Hope that covers your questions.))

@Simus: "Thanks for the help Doctor Roboto. I owe you one. If there's anything you need me to do, anything, just say the word. I'll be off to get a sample of sector two now, if there's nothing else you need." said Flint nearly dancing with joy. He didn't know what would be appropriate for expressing his gratitude, so he simply gave her a pat in the back.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:23:55 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15393 on: July 27, 2013, 07:21:08 pm »

((Surprise factor is reading 0))

Lars chokes and spasms.  "I *hack* do not think Emar-i approves of this *bloodchoke* action..."

((Also, if your timing and angle is right, maybe you can see our shuttle- or the previous ones- landing!))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15394 on: July 27, 2013, 07:36:45 pm »

((You're guys are forgetting that we have things like explosive depressurising, and that people have stays far longer than four minutes in vacuum before returning to robot body. And we've had that since the beginning. So I don't know how it is a surprise.))
((That's because the Sword has facilities that can effectively bring someone back from the dead. They're still dead beforehand, and we don't really have the facilities here to preserve the brain to be revived. In all cases of vacuum exposure before this, it's either been to short for permanent damage or the environment has been enough to keep the brain preserved long enough to get it back to the Sword. We have the former in this situation (which shouldn't be happening anyways, between my lack of action towards actually working on Auron's project and UP's action saying that he leaves when I accept to wait in life support), but we sure as heck don't have the latter (factor of time, the environment might be fine for short-term, but we have at least a few months left here).
((Do you have a freezer? Barring that, a refrigerator?))
((The morgue should serve for corpse preservation, at least for the short term.))
((You have a morgue? Good, no worries about someone mistaking a casualty's brain for ground beef.))

((Paris:  Nice call on the star examination.))
((I don't get it. Does the slow-time field extend all the way to the nebula or what? If it just extended up, say, 10 miles, the exact same photons would hit the top of the 10-mile-high ceiling as that spot in the fast- or normal-time zones. You'd be minutes off, not millenia.))
((It's like this:
First of all, I don't understand what you're saying, but I'll try to explain what we know to the best of my ability, hopefully answering your questions in the process.
Second, these aren't time distortions, they're bad alien imitations, probably using some form of those kinetic-manipulators-whose-name-I-always-forget. There are many clues as to why that is, but the most definitive is that the lower the mass of an object, the more it seems to be affected by the field. Light is the most affected of all, since it has no mass.
((I must have missed that...probably arithmetic and not geometric, since photons move at all once they enter.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15395 on: July 27, 2013, 08:22:01 pm »

((Note: Morgue was in the medbay. Medbay is almost completely destroyed.))

Part of why I'm here, after all. And don't call me that.

Find Auron, and if he's in a pressurized environment, request his helmet so I can install the thermal camera.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15396 on: July 27, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »

((Carefully label peoples' brains before storing them, then.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15397 on: July 27, 2013, 08:35:18 pm »

((Note: Morgue was in the medbay. Medbay is almost completely destroyed.))

Part of why I'm here, after all. And don't call me that.
((Actually the morgue section is fairly intact, based on what piecewise said. It just lacks life support and it's not like dead people need to breathe. Although I guess you could stick them in the freezer and it wouldn't make much difference.))

"Sure thing Sweetbot."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15398 on: July 27, 2013, 09:11:45 pm »

Also drag Auron to the medbay.
((Please note that medbay is now inside the barracks.))

Awaken and wait for simus to finish helmet modification, help others fix their radios provided they are in pressurised environments.

If helmet is returned this turn, upload thermal optics program and help anyone with their radios.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15399 on: July 27, 2013, 09:21:07 pm »

((Oh no, Mesk is about to go all... Mesk.... on poor Lars! Someone stop that madman! Also, some people should have known better to try and mess with their suit when they have penalties to their Aux rolls... Oh dear.

And I would LOVE to see such a game by you Piecewise. I would play that in a heartbeat.))

Fix my troublesome radio and then get back to work on the door.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15400 on: July 27, 2013, 09:37:33 pm »

Flint, do you want me to break your exo-suit again? Call me by name, or during this mission, rank, and nothing else.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15401 on: July 28, 2013, 12:05:50 am »

((Yeah, here I go expecting a radio reset to be an easy and a quick thing to do. Nope. ::) An Aux roll. And yes, Zephy has a bonus to that.

Also, good to see the return of Mesk.))

Breath slowly, Vich, need to use the air as slowly as possible. I suppose this would be an ideal scary situation for most people, too bad I really have become disensitised to all sorts of horrors. But it really would be a fitting end for me, death due to my own incompetence in anything electronic.

Reminds me of a time our group at the University, those of us who could afford it, went for a trip to a nearby moon for a week. Was a lot of fun back then. And at one point we played a game in which we all turned off our suits, and the last 3 people to bail received special prices. I remember one was free drinks for a year, one was that the others would give the winner a car lift every morning. But my favorite one was when the others had to cook your meals for a month. Ah, it was a good game. Too bad we got one guy into hospital, and Matt had to fly him off on his shuttle. He wasn't too happy about that.

Ah, well, better to let the others know my predicament. Wouldn't want to be cooked alive today, would I?

One good thing about spending many years blind, was that Vich didn't need to see the the buttons to be able to type. So he grabbed his wrist-pad and began typing a message.

Quote from: Draft
I really suck at this.

I crashed my suit while trying to fix the radio. Can you fix it please?

After that, he raised his arm at an odd angle, showing the message to his teammtes.

Wait for my teammates to fix me. Breath slowly and conserve air. Try to open faceplate.

I support the use of Zephyris in this situation. She may be ballast and a paperweight, (?? How is it possible to be both?) but she surely has better bonuses than I do.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:27:00 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15402 on: July 28, 2013, 10:58:42 am »

((You're in VACCUM, Vich. Opening your faceplate won't help.))

"Vich? Your computer crashed? Zeph, get over here."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15403 on: July 28, 2013, 11:09:55 am »

((There's two separate parts to the faceplate, remember? There's the actual helmet, and then a metal faceplate that uses cameras and screens to provide info, but can be slid up to just use the clear visor of the helmet.

Also, Vich is completely frozen in place. As in, you can't move your arms, either to type on your wristpad or to show what you typed to the others there.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15404 on: July 28, 2013, 11:58:10 am »

Attempt to fix my suit as well again.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 1256