Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939113 times)

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13680 on: April 22, 2013, 02:17:14 pm »

"Yeah, I think we've got it stabilized now. Flint made it pretty clear that he doesn't like me, but will work with me for the purposes of the mission. On my side, I bear him no ill. So as long as we avoid casual interaction, I think we'll be fine. It's just that Flint freaked out, because apparently I don't value the human life, and I wanted to make you haven't done the same, just silently."
"Well do you? Value human life I mean."
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13681 on: April 22, 2013, 04:36:35 pm »

Get out of the shuttle, stretch my legs.  Bust out the deck of cards I'm conveniently carrying around and play solitaire by the shuttle until everyone gets back.
You sit down next to the ship and start playing solitaire.

"Shoulda brought my gameboy"

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

"Hmm... Strange... But also kind of awe inspiring and... beautiful." said  Flint as he observed the forest. He began walking towards it. "This brings back memories of the sharkmist mission. Fractal antennae but on a larger scale. But why would beings with the ability to perform such miracles need antennae to communicate? Unless it's some sort of experiment... or maybe a school, a science lab. Hmmm..." Once closer, he noticed the grooves on the rods. "On the other hand, these carvings..." he ran his hand over the carvings. "...look man-made. Alien-made. Anomaly-made. You know what I mean. They remind me of something I had read. The stones of the ancient era outlived the paper books of the fission era. Maybe this is some kind of storage medium. Who knows what priceless knowledge may be stored here? If only we could read it..." He got down and looked closer to the base of one of the rods. "Or perhaps nothing on this place has a job to perform. Maybe they are just interesting but ultimately purposeless toys and trinkets. A form of art with no other purpose then to be aesthetically pleasing."

Take some close up pictures/video of the rods. See if the ground shows how the rods got there (do the rods look like they were forced into the ground or did they "grew" out of the ground? ie, is the ground going upwards or downwards near the rods?). Gently run my hand over the rods and try to feel anything interesting. Look how deep the carvings are. Dig around the rods and see how deep they go and if the carvings continue deeper. Try not to scratch them or otherwise cause them harm. No reason to destroy them... yet.

Suddenly, Flint noticed there was one extra man with them. After a quick search, he spotted the odd one out.
@Corsair: "Hey, you..." Flint read the name on his suit. "Michael. Aren't you supposed to be with red team? What are you doing here?"
Grab Michael Alexander [Corsair] by the scruff (like a cat) and bring him to Bishop and Mesk. "I've got a stray here. What should we do with him?"
You scan the rods carefully with your suit camera, panning slowly up one and around another. Judging from the way the ground is pushed upwards, it looks like these structures rose or were extruded out of the ground itself. You run your hand over the closest rod; it's a bit hard to tell with the suit on and all, but it feels smooth and solid as far as you can tell. There's nothing about it that stands out as anomalous as you touch it, no tingling or hallucinations or alien mind rape. The carvings themselves, which seem to consist of a single, continuous line that dips and dodges around to form symbols, like cursive. However the symbols themselves are widely varying and it is quite hard for you to tell where one starts and another ends. They're carved about two inches deep and have a rounded bottom, like they were scoped out with a melon baller or ice cream scoop.

You catch Michael before he can wander off or do anything and drag him back to bishop and the ship.

Lars raised his hands toward the sky.  "Brothers!  Steve has brought us to this glorious place!  We shall probe its secrets, for the glory of Cog-azaon!  May Algis shield us and Pathmas always be in our favor!"

Lars looked toward Bishop.  "I shall lead my team toward the center of this zone, then I shall move out clockwise toward our ultimate goal.  Does this sound good to you?"

Head toward the center.  Observe along the way.

You head toward the center of the Black towers,  observing what you can along the way. First thing you notice is that this place does have an atmosphere; one with oxygen even. Albeit a rather minimal amount of oxygen with the majority of the atmosphere being made of methane and pressurized to about 3 atmospheres. It's also a much more livable temperature at something like -10 C. Well, Not very livable for you, but still, better then molten iron.

"You guys may not want to fire off any lasers or anything that causes heat; the atmosphere around here is dense and flammable."

You make it a little deeper in, wandering through the towers, when you find something on the ground. It looks like a black stone, but shiny and segmented almost. You pick it up to discover it's hollow and, by the looks of it, organic, like a shed cicada's shell. Judging from the shell, which is incomplete with bits of it broken, the thing is about the size of your fist with a beetle like shell on it's back.

"This looks interesting"
Use laser to cut a bit of the black stuff out and store it then move further into the forest
You get grabbed and brought back to the ship, kicking and squirming the whole way.

take stock of my inventory and follow lars. Carve a rudimentary phallus into the nearest spire.
I think all you have with you is an iron pole, a bat helmet and some food and water.  Do you guys just not keep your own inventories or something? Since it seems like whenever one person asks me about their inventory suddenly 10 more people do.

You follow lars deeper into the forest. When it comes to cutting it, I'm not sure what you want to cut it with.

((I wasn't thinking hovercraft impediment. I was thinking sample collecting. ^_^))

Anton Chernozorov, Red Team technician, on his own and off his rocker.

"Arright. Let's get this out of the way first." Anton flicks his comms on. "To anyone interested. As per the established (by myself) experiment protocol, I report that I am about to attempt some physical violence on the surface of the Sector Two anomaly, the "Flatland". So if anything explodes or I'm never heard from again, you know what happened. Would sure be nice to have someone here as backup, but oh well."

Begin aforementioned physical violence. Start with trying to wedge a metal rod into one of the cracks near the very edge of the zone. If the rod is too thick, use the Red Hand to slice the tip off into a sort of a chisel, and try again. Attempt to pry some of the smooth rock loose. If successful, put the procured rock into the trailer - preferably into a sample container, one of the many I totally didn't forget to bring with me. >_>

Afterward, begin phase two. Take a sheet of metal (presumably large enough to form a primitive shield), hold it vertically on the edge of the anomaly. Crouch behind it to protect my body from possible debris. Take out the gauss rifle and aim it - with one hand, and using the metal as a support - roughly downward at the smooth rock just beyond the shield, aiming a little away so that if the projectile bounces it doesn't do so at me. If still alive after firing, observe any visible effects.

Your attempts to cut free part of the surface of the flatzone come up empty, even after cutting a wedge and trying to use that. The seam between the stones is so thin that a piece of tissue paper couldn't fit in there. In fact, you can't even feel the seam when you run your hand over it; you can only just barely make it out with the naked eye as well; just a hair thin line between the stones.

Second tests reveal two things: First that the stones are incredibly resilient. The shot glances off and ricochets somewhere into the distance, leaving nothing more then a minor scuff on the stones. And second, that they must be very good at redirecting energy, since the shot didn't break apart, rather it either skipped off or maybe just slid away across the surface.

""Well, this is strange."

Ponder if whatever cut the pattern in could still be alive/around while holding shotgun if on person.

Hard to tell what could have cut these patterns. Could be some sort of strange geological artifact for all you know. But if something did carve them, you see no reason why it would be impossible that they were still alive.   

"Right, zones 13 to 19. Cool. Let's get started!"

Send out a drone to map the immediate surroundings and take stock of our supplies.
You don't think the drones could handle the black towers too well, or at least not in any meaningful way. They're too tall to fly over easily, and even if they did, all it would be is pictures of black circles on a dull gray-black background.

As per supplies, you have:
3 days food and water as well as a few sample containers, 3 drones, plus whatever you came to the base with. Ie

Cutting torch 7:00/10:00
Mk III
Gauss rifle 7/10
Gauss clip
Razor

[GREEN TEAM]

Follow Lars, keeping an eye on the higher regions of the spires.

You follow behind lars while keeping your eye trained on the upper regions of the towers. It's hard to say; the upper reaches being so large and so distant, overlapping and blocking each other from your perspective; But you think you occasionally see uneven sections of the sides of the towers.

Base team

Look around to see if there is anything that could be used to transport and keep a 'metal slug', maybe even keep one alive. Check if anything could be cobbled together to accomplish this goal.

((Just posting an action for action's sake really. Still, it could be useful somewhere in the future))

Quote from: Message to Mesk:
"How is the drop-off going? Once you're finished, you can return to base, they'll be gone for quite some time. No need to keep you there doing nothing."
You suppose that any of the larger vehicles might be useful for transporting something that heavy, but keeping it alive is a different matter. Beyond the high temps there's no telling what else it might need to survive. You'd need to get a better idea of what it is and how it functions before you can think of taking one alive.

Alright, Red, I'm done with this thing for now. Making my way over to you now.

Base, while we're out in the local lethal lava lands, I intend to hopefully sample one of the bio specimens. Any recommendations?

Rebury the chunk and go to the local lethal lava lands, sharpish.

The chunk was never buried, just set on the edge of the area. Also burying something in stone is kinda hard. Anyways.

You want to head toward Lukas' position or around the other side? Or actually into the zone?

Team Red - Lukas

"Yeah, the scenery is amazing here, but where are these biospecimens?"

Look around to see if I can see any biospecimens.
You're not sure if they're alive or not, but you see some rather strange looking things clinging to the stone islands on the falls, half submerged in the iron, half out of it. You can't really tell anything about them from this distance, but they look somewhat organic, if only in their unusual form.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: April 22, 2013, 05:47:00 pm »

[GREEN TEAM]

Keep an eye on the uneven sections, and be wary for anything moving.

((Rule two of dungeon traps. Check the ceiling.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: April 22, 2013, 06:10:25 pm »

Do you guys just not keep
your own inventories or something? Since it seems like
whenever one person asks me about their inventory
suddenly 10 more people do

I sorta go by memory but i really just wanted confirmation as to what survived the volcanic zone.
Im pretty sure all i have left is my badass cleaver, another makeshift medkit, some food+water, a slightly melted pole and maybe a pda that i hope i left back at the base.

carve phallus into spire with cleaver, search for beetles.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: April 22, 2013, 06:32:00 pm »

"Red team just wandered off so I just joined you guys because I had an Idea of where you were as wandering through lava lakes looking for my team is not my definition of a fun time. So what now?"
sit around looking sheepish
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13685 on: April 22, 2013, 06:49:11 pm »

@Corsair:"I've got no problem with you. Just got to clear things up with chief here."
@Bishop:"So, what do you say? Should we keep him? If yes, then you'd better notify base team and red team about this."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: April 22, 2013, 08:11:52 pm »

Green Taem

"Interesting."

Collect, stow, and label the sample.  Ensure suit feed is still going to base. Head on toward the center.  Praise the first god that comes to mind.

Lars addresses all teams.  "Mesk, perhaps before you leave, you could check the tops of these towers?"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:09:46 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: April 22, 2013, 08:49:35 pm »

"I got held up finding a few containers that could stand-up to the heat and the team just left so I joined you due to it being more desirable than wandering through the wastes alone"
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: April 22, 2013, 11:13:54 pm »

"I can do a flyby on our way out, if you want."

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:25 am »

Team Red - Lukas

"Okay, capturing those things is going to be a problem, I guess."

Lukas sends a message to Miyamoto:
"What exactly are we supposed to sample again?"

Wait for Simus to join the team.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13690 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:49 am »

Anton Chernozorov, Red Team technician.

Anton raises an eyebrow at the rock's properties. "That... is so incredibly handy. And correspondingly difficult to procure." He opens the radio comms again, speaking to the rest of the Red team.
"Chernozorov here, reporting progress. Flatlands are highly resistant to damage. The cause for this, as well as for their apparent frictionless properties, appears to be the ability to completely redirect or absorb any energy directed at them. I expect incredible practical applications for armor construction, if the aforementioned properties ever allow a sample to be collected. I don't have enough firepower to so much as chip the surface at the moment. Maybe with something heavier or some explosive charges.

In the meantime, I am proceeding to the center of the Sector Two anomaly. If I drop out of contact, you can find me or what's left of me over there. Chernozorov out.
"

Give the surface some experimental whacks with a rod to confirm that there is no bounce. Use the Red Hand and the chisel-rod to probe for the actual edge of the anomaly - see where the destructible rock ends, and the indestructible rock begins. Try to see how hard the actual transition is - if it's possible to chip off a piece of "near-indestructible" rock, do that and store it.

Check that the MPV's "drone steering" works. Afterwards, unhook the trailer, grab a canister of fuel, an extra drone, and the chisel-rod, and carefully roll the MPV out onto the flatland. Test how well the MPV steers like this. Then aim at where I think is the anomaly center, accelerate to about 5m/s and scoot along. Keep contact with the team by periodic progress messages, slow down and stop if the signal cuts off or there is some significant change in surroundings.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13691 on: April 23, 2013, 05:14:12 am »

@Anton:"You can try digging near the edge and cutting part of it with a monorazor. I can ask Mesk to give you mine if no one else can give you one. Also, we have kilometers of cable back at base. I suggest anchoring one end of the cable to the shore, just in case your rockets fail. If you reach the other side, you can keep the cable as a bridge."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: April 23, 2013, 08:04:57 am »

"Whatever you would like, Brother Mesk."

((Looks like we might have a few uses for the giant murderbot after all.  If he can't break that, no one can.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13693 on: April 23, 2013, 09:23:40 am »

"Yeah, I think we've got it stabilized now. Flint made it pretty clear that he doesn't like me, but will work with me for the purposes of the mission. On my side, I bear him no ill. So as long as we avoid casual interaction, I think we'll be fine. It's just that Flint freaked out, because apparently I don't value the human life, and I wanted to make you haven't done the same, just silently."
"Well do you? Value human life I mean."

Heh, a good question. I wonder about that too. I suppose not. But with a lot of ifs and ad hoc decisions. But the real question is not whether I do or not, but how I should answer you. You see, it probably wouldn't be practical to give you a several weeks debate I have in my head, and it's not a simple issue. Hard to summarize.

And besides, I don't have to tell you the truth, do I? As a matter of fact, I don't. I just have to make myself look in as positive light as possible. Without any obviousness, of course.

"I do. But I also believe in things more important than life. And if the only way to cause change in UWM, the only way to deal with the Rebels, is human life, than I am prepared to follow it. I do not believe in being squirmish about it because my morals make it not okay for me to do it, but suddenly having somebody else do it is okay.

Most of all, I do not believe in standing back if something must happen and I agree with it. And that is what puts me at odds with most people."
(sign) Here I go, having to explain myself again. "Let me explain, if there is something that must be done, but has a black spot in it, most people focus on the positive, and try their best to ignore the dark spot. They delegate someone else to do the job. I believe in accepting the full package. So I suppose I did the dirty job." Twice.

((If the post is unclear, send me a PM, I'll edit it. Online conversations and all, can't see your expression if I'm speaking.))

Follow Bishop.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: April 23, 2013, 09:30:37 am »

@Anton:"You can try digging near the edge and cutting part of it with a monorazor. I can ask Mesk to give you mine if no one else can give you one. Also, we have kilometers of cable back at base. I suggest anchoring one end of the cable to the shore, just in case your rockets fail. If you reach the other side, you can keep the cable as a bridge."
"I have considered tying myself down as a safety measure, but this plan of mine relies entirely on there being nothing to impede my mobility. A cable of such length as I am going to require is going to drastically increase the mass I need to move and the friction I need to overcome. With only the drones for propulsion, I'd like to have as little of either as possible. A rocket bike may have served me well here, but if the effects at the center of the zone are anything like I expect, I will not want to be at any significant distance from the ground when I approach."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1256