Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945780 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13125 on: March 23, 2013, 01:49:34 pm »

((I have two thoughts regarding the impending disaster. First, it can be a coincidence of trajectory, and the electrified ball of radioactive death is actually heading into either the crater, or some point past the base - i.e. over it.

The other thought is interception. I could try to reprogram a mapping drone with my optical tracker, and let the poor thingy loose on the projectile. If it's anything like a weapon, it could discharge into the drone and leave the base relatively untouched.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: March 23, 2013, 01:54:15 pm »

((How many drones overall do we have?  We've already wrecked two.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: March 23, 2013, 01:55:17 pm »

((We have more drones than people. Or outposts, for that matter.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: March 23, 2013, 02:02:56 pm »

I will not risk a vehicle when we have areas of the base that will serve as perfectly good radiation shelters, Flint. The AI Chamber and Life Support are buried deep into the surface, even if they were just a few meters, they would be would be more than enough, and they're far more than that.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: March 23, 2013, 02:10:48 pm »

((Does Anton hear this conversation? If yes, then:))

"The issue is not whether or not we can survive a radiation burst of arbitrary strength. The issue is we do not know what will happen if that thing hits us. If it covers the base's surroundings with radioactive particles, or induces radioactivity in existing matter, or cracks the base open and fries all electronics with a lightning bolt, we. Are. Not. going to be perfectly okay here. Faced with an attack of unknown potential, evasion is the smartest move. My two cents, XO."

((Also, in case PW tracks these as they are posted, my action post has been altered.))
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:19:22 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13130 on: March 23, 2013, 05:28:30 pm »

Team Blue

Continue mapping the zone or go back. Whatever Bishop's orders are. Will not be able to edit this myself.

"When will it reach you? It will take us some time to get back, as we don't really have any vehicles, unless Bishop taken on on his own. If this is a radioactive object, I'd rather stay away far away from it."

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

@Bishop: "Okay, we'll keep on mapping, but I don't like this. If we don't hear from home team after the anomaly passes, I'm going back, with or without you."

@Base Team: "Damn it Simus, just get your team in the shuttle and fly to us or Miyamoto. Don't take risks when there's no reason to do so. Don't you remember what happened to the previous team?"

Keep mapping around the motion speed anomaly.
Try to convince base team to board the shuttle and fly to us or to Miyamoto, by reminding them that the previous team died because they underestimated alien anomalies, that alien shit are unknown and unsafe, that we don't know if the base will hold, that the shuttle might be damaged by the anomaly if left there, by using the phrase "Pneumatically driven love thrust!", anything that might get them in that shuttle and out of that zone.
((Nothing to do this turn besides map, so why don't I make a speech roll?))

"Wait a minute... if this thing is coming from zone 6 and moving towards zone 1, that means that if it keeps going, it will end up here! Good thing we're moving towards zone 8 then."

((Also, good work with the map Sean. Added it to my notes along with some sector mapping statistics. I'm also keeping a planned actions/experiments section so that we don't forget to do anything back at base or when passing near a zone, so if you have thought of an experiment or action or project that you would like to see listed there (NO BICYCLES! (just kidding, I do not discriminate)) send me a PM.
@Radio Controlled: I'll be happy to draw the team's paths and objectives once you have decidede where we should explore next. Although that decision would probably take a while, what with us having explored less then half of our sectors and the crisis back at base.))
"Yours must be the pneumatic love thrust that pierces the heavens! So great will be your girth that even simus will blush! Believe in me who sort of kinda thinks that you might be able to not fail maybe!"

The team continues to map, wandering slowly westward and throwing a cobblestone road worth of rocks as they go. Unfortunately they hit what amounts to a dead end as the effected zone curves around in front of them, blocking them off. Whats weirder is that the new two areas they map act differently. The first seems to only effect upward movement; when a rock is thrown in on an arc, it will move very slowly until it hits it's zenith and then fall like normal. The zone next to it is the exact opposite, slowing when it starts to fall.

Team Green

well fuck... i really hope that wasnt my fault says Auron watching the anomalous shard drift towards canary base although it does provide cetain opportunities...

try to determine the shards trajectory and the time it will take to reach the base, if successful send the exact impact coordinates, trajectory and velocity to the base so someone can put a radiation proof crate outside for it to fly into.

Follow lars but try to get a look at the shard with any optical zoom my visor posesses and record all batvision telemetry related to the object while it is in the xenon field.

You're at too flat an angle to get a good idea of the exact path of what you can now see as a speck of bright light trailing blue glow; you don't know any landmarks or features of the terrain to give an educated guess either. You can tell it's heading in the vague direction of the base, but as per the path it will take, you're not sure.

"Uh oh."

Do as lars says.

"Great. First zone in, and we send Command a glowy ball of radioactive doom. Nice job everybody."

Copy math from anomaly splinter, and then copy the math from the actual anomaly. Then follow Lars, scan, don't die horribly to anomalies.

You copy down as much of the math as you can, but it's always changing and there is a hell of a lot  of it.

Lars grimaced, then shouted a quick prayer before turning the radio to all units.

"All personnel, this is Brother Lars.  We sent a drone over the Sector 6 anomaly.  It was shot down by a lightning burst, and now it appears a piece of the anomaly is breaking off and moving to home base.  Repeat, a piece of the anomaly is moving to home base.  This anomaly is highly radioactive and electrically charged.  It is moving away from us and we are far off a course to catch it, so without further orders, we will continue scanning the area."

He turned back to his squad.  "Brothers, there is nothing we can do to intercept it without going straight through the heart of this anomaly.  We will continue what we are doing until countermanded.  Further, do not cross the boundary we are making with ourselves or any equipment until further notice."

Continue marking the zone.

The Green team follows the edge of the radiation zone down toward the south until it, rather suddenly, turns back toward the east. It looks like they've found another edge of the perimeter.

Team Red

Back to Simus over radio link:
"Damn, I told them to wait with the experimenting. Anyway, in case it looks like whatever that is is going to impact on the base, you could take a minishuttle and fly the hell out of there. And normally I'd say to deactivate ALVIN, but luckily all his important bits are well protected."

Continue going into zone 7, see if our shadows keep being funky.

"What the hell......"
Interact with objects and people casting shadows also ascertain approximate greatest lightscorce
The greatest light source is impossible to say; the shadows are identical on some objects, varying on others. Not to mention the variety in the number of shadows. Hell, you don't even see a light source around here besides a distant sun that the planetoid is passing by.

The Red team doesn't get much farther in it's trek before strange things start happening. Miyamoto, leading the way, is the first to notice. He loses his vision in his left eye. Or rather, his vision becomes a mirror image of what he's viewing in his right. He takes a few steps back and the effect vanishes. He takes a few steps forward and it returns. Strange.

Command team

Radio to all personnel on the base, Miyamoto, and the other Team Leaders:

Everyone on the base, this is XO Simus, we've got incoming. Something highly radioactive is approaching the base, fast. I recommend that everyone who does not enjoy the idea of being fried by it make their way into either Life Support or the AI Chamber. Teams; the base is going to be dark for a bit until this anomalous event is over. Radio contact might be maintained, but I doubt it.

Go to the AI Chamber, see if I can take some manner of radiological scanning equipment down with me. Text ALVIN:

We've got a charged, radioactive anomaly headed straight for the base. Do what you need to do to keep the base intact once everyone in the base is either in the AI Chamber or Life Support.

You steal a geiger counter from the lab and scurry down to the AI core. Once there, you start talking to ALVIN about the situation.

ANOMALY IS CALCULATED TO PASS NEAR THIS INSTALLATION AND THEN FALL INTO THE GRAVITY SEEP NEAR BY.

DAMAGE PROJECTION: MINIMAL IF ABOVE GROUND SYSTEMS SHUT DOWN.

PREPARING SHUTDOWN.

"I'm more worried about... well, everything.  The idea of living in an irradiated metal hellhole for the rest of the year isn't appealing."
Grab my equipment and head down underground.

You grab your gear, as well as anything that looks like it might be damaged by electricity- and isn't bolted down- from the infirmary and head down to the AI core.

((Well, ain't that a bolt from the blue. Or should I say the green?))

"Wait, what?"

Anton stops mid-stride, not sure if he'd misheard the message. "You sent a what at us? Well, isn't that just perfect. ALVIN! There's a... ah, чтоб тебя." He cursed under his breath, remembering the AI won't listen to his orders, and patches through to the team leader instead. "XO Simus! Order ALVIN to estimate the actual threat level of the.. whatever it is Green Team sent at us. It's been around here longer than we were, and should have a better idea of what the base can stand up to. As it is, we don't have enough giant metal hands here to secure and move everything, especially the food and water supplies, if they are in danger of destruction or contamination. We need to know in how much danger the base actually is.

And preemptively, permission to attempt an intercept. I would prefer if the whatever it is didn't strike anywhere near here in the first place. Actually... hold that thought.
"

Get to CCR, locate controls for any scanners the base has available, and get a bead on the incoming threat. Use the combined power of base computers and own brain to determine the exact trajectory of the object. If it is indeed heading straight for the base, and impact is imminent, climb down to Life Support. If it isn't heading here, determine where it is heading and inform the others. If there's still some time till impact, begin enacting intercept plan by running to the Garage and uploading the optical tracker program to a mapping drone.

((Unless the design of the base is offensive to native alien culture or ALVIN insulted their relatives in one of its previous lives, there should be little to no reason for the base to become the target of anything. The base hex, on the other hand, has something else that's quite... attractive.))

The readouts on the CCR monitors indicate that the anomaly isn't coming toward the base, more that it's doing a "fly by" on it's way to the crater. However it's going to be going close enough that it it will sweep the the base in it's effects. Time till first effects is only a few minutes away. Before you can  read anything else the monitors and all the lights shut off. Oh dear.
(nice job on that map by the way.)

Map:
http://i.imgur.com/HYkDmbF.png

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: March 23, 2013, 05:32:50 pm »

Keep following Lars.

"Wonder if this have a hollow core or something. Especially if sole of this is artifical."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: March 23, 2013, 05:47:00 pm »

Anton, get down here before you're fried. ALVIN's shut down the stuff that'd be effected and tells me that nothing terrible will happen to the base, now get down here where you're shielded from the radiation.

Text ALVIN:

Is this chamber is proof against the radiation levels from the anomaly, and can you tell us when the radiation levels die down to acceptable standards?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13133 on: March 23, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

Keep on mapping the anomaly towards sector 2.

"I'll follow the anomaly a bit inside the other zone. I bet it ends soon. Just want to see where."

((Oh well, looks like I overreacted. I thought the anomaly was much larger. Too bad nobody will be there to watch it sink in the crater. Would be a beautiful (and interesting) sight.

EDIT: Oh, and I propose the symbols -↑ and -↓ for the newly explored zones in Sean's map.))
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:53:29 pm by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: March 23, 2013, 05:52:56 pm »

"Fuck it good enough. It'll give the labcoats something to do when we get back."

Follow Lars, scan, don't die to anomaly.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: March 23, 2013, 08:22:56 pm »

"Bah silly illusions obviously... well hopefully"
Stride forwards using my multi-coloured-rock thrower as guidance
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: March 23, 2013, 08:42:14 pm »

"May Algis fold his hands over those at the base.  Pathmas be in their favor."

Continue on with the mapping.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: March 23, 2013, 10:19:40 pm »

"What. The. Pancakes. I... can get the time, but now THIS?! Okay, this officially beats that time we had to face the HMRC over one funky mountain. Guess it shows how new I am here. We'd better plan really well how we're going to investigate this when we get back.

How is the base doing? Not obliterated yet? Do we have any cameras that will be filming the event?"

Continue mapping, I suppose, over the other side of the curve.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: March 23, 2013, 10:27:30 pm »

continue following lars
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13139 on: March 23, 2013, 10:37:36 pm »

Bishop stands still and quiet for a bit as he looks at the weird shit going on before speaking.

"Well... That's unexpected. Never seen something like that before... Well, let's keep moving around the edge of it. We got lost time to make up for."

Keep mapping in this direction and make adjustments to the map as we go, with notes on what seems to be the current effect of the anomalies.
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1256