Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3946024 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13080 on: March 21, 2013, 06:28:07 pm »

((Completely second Parisbre's impressions of the anomaly. And I believe I have already mentioned that I am very enjoying the level of the organisation here.

Just noticed "Team Bue", "Team Gern," and "Team Rud". Funny. In other news I have finished the macromist mission, and am on page 870/900 on the On-Ship Thread. So very soon megaprojects, so very soon. And then I will probably begin a short series of commentary regarding the interesting phenomenons I have noticed and my opinions on them. I you have enjoyed my treatises and my speculations so far, you mind want to wait for it.))

"How to send the drone inside? I think the solution is actually quite simple in fact. I mean, we can activate it remotely, right? I suggest we just throw the drone in, and activate it from inside. The problem was that the drone was caught flying in on it's own. If it's an immobile object, nothing bad should happen.

Alternatively, we could hack something like a stretcher or simply something long and flat, put the drone on it, and slide it inside instead of throwing it. Then we activate it. Or we can't remotelly activate it, we activate it but don't give any commands, and then slide it in. Then we give it commands once it's inside. Is that what you meant by a timer?"

Continue mapping out the anomaly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:38:28 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: March 21, 2013, 06:59:46 pm »

Keep staring at screens all day.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: March 21, 2013, 07:03:20 pm »

((I'm loving the autonomy, though being Mission Control and having mostly smartass advice to give at the moment makes me feel a tad Steve-ish.))

Yes, Flint, I saw it. Like I said, nobody go poking a finger or something in there, what happened to that drone was pretty much exactly as I thought would happen. Anyways, let's leave drone mapping for the in-depth exploration, all right? We're here for mapping boundaries only, at the moment.

All Teams:

Status updates and maps, please.

Integrate and redistribute the map stuff. Ponder about the time distortions.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:28 pm »

"The math related to the area seems electrical and radiation based, but I ain't no math whiz, so I have no fuckin clue what is going on.

Follow lars, scan countryside, don't walk into an anomaly. Try and copy the math to my wristpad and send it back to base.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:09:16 am by kisame12794 »
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: March 21, 2013, 09:19:12 pm »

Yes, Flint, I saw it. Like I said, nobody go poking a finger or something in there, what happened to that drone was pretty much exactly as I thought would happen. Anyways, let's leave drone mapping for the in-depth exploration, all right? We're here for mapping boundaries only, at the moment.
"What's the point of having drones if we can't use them? And honestly, what's the difference if it's now or later? Not only can we afford to be a little late, but do you think we will do it better while doing the "official exploration?" Please, stop creasing up my kidneys. We would've done the same mistake. We're just saving time right now, that's all. It's better to have some preliminary experience when starting the "In-Depth Exploration" anyway."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:21:33 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:38 pm »

Brother Lars:  Green Team Lead, Zone 6

Lars looked at the incoming message and typed out a quick reply.

Dear Sister Simus, Executive Officer of Canary Base,

We are continually mapping this anomaly, and I will send updated maps to you.  Please let me know if I can be of any service to you.

Your humble servant,
Brother Lars
Team Green

With that, he turned to Morul.  "I see.  Can you send the math to Simus?"

Keep mapping around.

((You know, it's a good thing you had that slingshot.  Without it, one of you might have been ripped in half.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: March 21, 2013, 10:04:06 pm »

Patch Miyamoto into the radio comms with Vich.

The difference if it's now or later is that this is supposed to be a mission about finding the anomalous zones of this planetoid. We have a yearlong stay here, but the teams out in the field at the moment have limited supplies. Time spent performing activities that are not related to the current objective reduce the amount of ground you can cover before you are forced to return to base for resupply. Limited testing now, fine. But there is a hard limit on how long you stay out there, and the current objective is to cover as much ground as possible before you must return.

And I did not assign loadouts. The drones were taken of your team's free will. That does not mean that they must be useful for the current objective.

Message back to Lars:

You're doing fine out there. Your team will probably get the furthest of the three, just so you know. The other two have taken some time for experimentation, even though there is a time limit on how long you guys can be out there. Considering that your anomalous area might be a bit more widespread than theirs, this is a good thing.

Simus F-I
XO, Canary Base

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: March 21, 2013, 10:56:16 pm »

((This is only the beginning of our stay. The REAL fun comes when we're trying to map out the insides of the anomalies and not dying/mutating/getting mangled/etc. Right now, it's pretty cool just checking out weird stuff like this over such a long span of time while doing so at our own speed. It's an interesting change, to say the least.))

"Listen to Simus, she's got the right idea here. We're not really meant to explore these things right now, just mark out where they are first so we can get around to them later. There's no need to waste resources or time doing in depth experimentation right now, we're on the clock here and we need to get moving.

Also, we have a limited amount of drones, so let's not waste them all so soon, ok?"

Bishop stands up and stretches a bit before turning to the others.

"Break's over. Let's go map out the other end of the distortion first before coming this way."

Get the team moving away from the normal end that we've just found and keep mapping and exploring.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: March 22, 2013, 03:13:55 am »

((I like the autonomy, though having so little to work with is kinda boring. I might have something interesting though.))

Anton watches the mapping drone's demise with some interest. "It seems physical momentum is carried through on connected objects. This is quite interesting. And gives me an idea." Turning on the spot, he walks out of CCR and heads into the Garage, typing a message to Simus as he goes.

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to Simus Ferratum-Inanis
  I may have a way to map the area inside the fast-time anomaly, as well as the dangerous radioactive zones. But it relies on a few things I don't yet have, and some other properties of the anomalies. See if you can make the teams perform some experiments with pulling objects through the anomaly thresholds. There's also the question of whether light changes properties within the anomaly (when time is messed with, nothing is out of the question), but that may be difficult to establish. If anyone has a flashlight they can put on a stick and try to shine on themselves from within the anomaly, have them do that and see if its light changes in any way.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to try and fashion our MPV into a mapping rover.

Send message. Go to the Garage and examine all spare parts. Look for servos and electric motors, as well as any spare electronics and/or portable generators. Examine the MPV for means/possibilities of attaching electric engines to where manual power would be applied, including steering. Disregard need for driver or passenger space for now. Take a mapping drone and examine how it controls itself, and whether it would be within my ability to rewire its thruster controls to steer a makeshift RC buggy.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: March 22, 2013, 03:37:37 am »

((Its fun))
follow team
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: March 22, 2013, 05:19:04 am »

Quote from: Simus F-I; to Anton Chernozorov
They need to be covering as much ground as they can before they must return, and they've already wasted a good bit of time. Further exploration can be done in later expeditions.

And you might want to ask the Quartermaster and the Garage Head before modifying stuff.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: March 22, 2013, 06:27:39 am »

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to Simus Ferratum-Inanis
  I will. I'm only checking for the possibility so far. I'm not going to dismantle our only manual-power vehicle without the team's consent (as much as I would like to, heheh).

And I agree that they should move on, but the experiments I propose are fairly quick, and the more we know of these anomalies, the better we can prepare to explore them later. Just a bit of preemptive analysis, so as not to lose time later.

Time, it seems, isn't going to be quite as abundant as we first thought. If this is a taste of what awaits us across the whole rest of AP 1774, a year is not going to be enough to explore it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: March 22, 2013, 07:28:21 am »

Zephyris Haizea - Team Blue - Sector 3

"Let my try something first, just a minute"

Go to the slow-fast border, line up a shot with my crystal projector alongside the border (assuming it's a straight line, who knows) a few meters into the anomaly. Back off a bit and observe. Then follow Bishops orders
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: March 22, 2013, 10:28:44 am »

((While I'd agree with Anton about preemptive experimentation saving time, I suppose I can't really hear him. And I don't think that much time passed while we're doing those experiments. I mean, it doesn't take hours to send in a couple drones. Several turns, maybe, but not in terms of real time.

Also, I do not need to modify my action since it already says to continue exploring the anomaly.))

"Fair enough. Let's move on then."

Vich had a lot of fun arguing, but getting into every possible fight was not very smart. Especially when he was so outnumbered. Especially when he wsa still technically a grunt. And his opponents were so stubborn.

((Also, maybe we should begin lists for things we need to take on further expeditions. I don't know if you want to keep track of this too, Parisbre, but here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:52:00 am by Thearpox »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13094 on: March 22, 2013, 11:40:18 am »

"Hey, I know splitting up isn't usually a god idea, but since this zone's dangers seem easy to locate, how about two people go explore around the fast zone and two go explore around the slow zone? It would save us some time."

((Also, maybe we should begin lists for things we need to take on further expeditions. I don't know if you want to keep track of this too, Parisbre, but here it is:))
((Nah, that would be a very long and ever changing list. And I'm not responsible to tell people what to bring with them. It's their choice and it would be wrong for me to start telling people what to do. And keeping the notes is already hard enough without having to account for all the possible ways of messing with an anomaly. Ever since I've started keeping this list I've began appreciating piecewise's work even more. Managing all the info on all the characters on all of his games, doing so artfully and remembering little details about people...))
youtube.com/watch?v=GugsCdLHm-Q
((EDIT: By the way, looking forward to your treatises.))

((Speaking of notes, notes updated.))
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:46:45 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1256