Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3946156 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13005 on: March 18, 2013, 05:07:01 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Zone 3

"Hmmm... That's interesting."

Science time! Throw some more rocks and try to determine where this slow-mo area begins (how high, how wide, does it move, etc). Mark the boundary with spraypaint. Fire a short laser burst at the ground inside the slow-mo zone and at a hovering stone and observe the results (does light travel at the speed of light, does it diffract, does it move strangely, do the pieces of ground boiled by the laser move slowly, etc). If my previous observations show it is safe, try to put one half of an open sample container in the slow-mo zone and scrape a ground sample, while I'm holding the other half safely outside the zone.

EDIT: Distribute spraycans to the rest of the team so that they can use them to mark the edge of the slow-mo zone.

@Simus: "Anybody has any good ideas on how to test if this thing slows down time or is just viscous? Simus, you're the science officer, what do you say?"

@Bishop: "Should we try to destroy it or just bypass it? Should we send a drone? Blue leader?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:59:05 am by Parisbre56 »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: March 18, 2013, 05:10:59 pm »

Jack Hansan- Green Team- Zone 6

"What is causing this?"

Stay with team and warn them of anything major.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: March 18, 2013, 06:02:07 pm »

Auron kell- green team - Zone 6

im afraid i did not bring anything to innoculate us against radiation poisoning, perhaps we should continue to our next sector and return here after insulating a drone against radioactive interferance?

activate bathelmet, try to see if there are any light bending objects in "visual" range.
Follow lars again.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: March 18, 2013, 07:36:35 pm »

"Looks like the ground is charged, and the atmos is xenon. The blue glow may be ionization? I dunno. Feels creepy though."

Continue scanning, follow Lars. Unless he walks into an anomaly. Then stay put.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: March 18, 2013, 08:06:03 pm »

All teams, this is the Nest, status report and map updates, if you please.

Integrate map updates into the master map and redistribute the updated map to the teams.

((I'm assuming that radio is team-specific unless coming from base or otherwise noted.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13010 on: March 18, 2013, 09:49:38 pm »

"Huh. Never seen something like that before... I think we should see how far up it goes and how far across it goes as well. Maybe we can go around it or fly over it, and if we can't, then we can just send a drone in and leave for a new zone. The drone may take awhile but hopefully it could map out the whole thing given enough time. In the meantime, we should just map out the edges of this distortion so we don't accidentally walk into it in the future."

Bishop keys his radio to reply to Simus.

"This is Blue leader, we've hit a snag. We've just come across a place where everything in motion seems to slow down a lot, like a rock hanging in midair sort of slow. We're currently checking to see if we can go around it, since I don't think anyone wants to volunteer to walk in and see if their mind slows down just as much as their body would. Some advice would be handy right about now."

Check the map for our position and mark down the start of the zone. Then take a walk with the others to map out the edge of the distortion.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: March 18, 2013, 10:20:34 pm »

Sounds like a time distortion, a major one. My advice: Stay the heck out of it. I don't want anyone to get trapped in something like that, it'd be effectively impossible to get them out. Don't even poke a finger in there unless you want to lose it. Route around as best you can and try to find all boundaries. I suggest you continue with your rock scanning in front of you as well as to the known side, it might be irregularly shaped and we don't want to lose anyone to time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:24:20 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: March 18, 2013, 10:37:30 pm »

Brother Lars:  Green Team Lead, Zone 6

Lars stopped as the radiation level started getting through the suit.  "Gentlemen, we are reaching a point of personal danger.  I do not believe we are adequately equipped to fully explore this on our own.  We shall deploy a mapping drone, once I get confirmation that it will be unaffected by this radiation."

He then set his radio to call back to base.  "Sister Simus, or anyone else knowledgeable, this is Brother Lars.  We have encountered a zone of steadily increasing radiation.  Are the mapping drones capable of surviving a strong radiation field?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: March 19, 2013, 04:06:59 am »

((Hmm))
See what its approxiamte density / resilience is by shooting 1 second worth of laser into it at different angles in short bursts. Dont chop anyones legs or arms or anything's off.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:19 am »

((I really suggest that everyone labels their teams, for those who are not doing that already. That includes Team Base.))

Vich: Team Blue

"Suddenly, an idea I had a while back to spray sand from above to determine anomalities doesn't seem so stupid or out of place anymore.

Bishop, what do you think about making a water gun once we get back to the base? Except it won't shoot water, but something cheaper and not as essential for life. I think it would work better than the rocks.

Command, do we have any caution tape and sticks or the like at the base? Or chalk for that matter? I think we should begin marking these anomalities on the ground as well as on the map starting from out second hike. Or maybe we should head back right now to get the necessary materials."

Help Flint and others map out the distortion by throwing rocks into the distortion. Try to determine it's boundaries. Figure out just by how much the time is slowed. Is the time slowed by different amounts in different areas of the distortion? Try to throw the rocks up to figure out it's height.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:54:59 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13015 on: March 19, 2013, 08:58:57 am »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Zone 3

"Command, do we have any caution tape and sticks or the like at the base? Or chalk for that matter? I think we should begin marking these anomalities on the ground as well as on the map starting from out second hike. Or maybe we should head back right now to get the necessary materials."

"Well, I DO have some cans of spraypaint in my backpack. You could use those. Here, catch." said Flint as he reached into his bag and gently lobbed Vich a can of spraypaint.

((Hey, Thearpox, how come you haven't yet began criticizing my backstory? Simply waiting for me to write more? Just asking because the way you worded it
And Parisbre, do you mind if I nitpick/investigate your character backstory? Because I like nitpicking, but I don't want to make you suffer through it unless you want to.
I was expecting an unstoppable onslaught of criticism that would force me to give up on the backstory and cry about my lack of writing skills the moment I said it was OK. I'm kinda feeling like Wile E. Coyote, holding a piece of dynamite that should had exploded but hasn't done so... yet. :) ))

((Edited action to include the distribution of spraycans.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: March 19, 2013, 09:19:17 am »

Vich: Team Blue

"Thank you. But I'd still prefer to have sticks with caution tape too. Easier to see."

Apply spraypaint on the area around the anomaly to mark it's boundaries.

((You didn't actually give that much of your backtory yet. We haven't even got to your birth yet, for Steve's sake. (unless I missed something). I will do it a lot more once we get to it. Right now, there is theoretically a lot of stuff to critisize, but practically, not so much. One, it's not that interesting to me, since I want to critisize your, not your planet's backstory. Two, you could just say "I wasnt very good in my history classes," something I am not very keen to hear. Three, while there is a lot of stuff to critisize, most of it has to do with complex sociological patterns and human behaviors. It would take a page just to phrase my complaints, and a book to explain and argue them. And then people would just tell me that they don't trust me because I wouldn't cite any sources confirming my position. I'm not ready for that kind of commitment yet. :-[

And I think you have some misconceptions about my upkoming nitpicking. One, I am not going to pick on your writing. Probably. Only on your plotholes. Two, all, or almost all my nitpicking will be done In Character. So if Vich doesn't feel well, or is distracted, I'm out of luck.))

((To Below: ...um ...Nope?))
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:56:00 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:44 am »

((My text is green. I think that handles the team color.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:17 pm »

Team Base, Anton Chernozorov, Mechanic/Detective:

Anton wakes up after a short nap, and sees the fleshtech guy - Mesk, he recalled - watching the monitors. Quietly, so as not to attract undue attention, Anton moves to a terminal further across the room and opens up some of the previous team's feeds.

Open several feeds from other previous team members, and rewind the leader's footage on the pad back to the point where his feed cut out at the beginning of an argument. Try to find the same moment on other feeds, and see if the dialogue can be heard in full.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: March 19, 2013, 03:56:26 pm »

((Just read about Operation Downfall and Damn.))
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1256