Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945801 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #12960 on: March 16, 2013, 04:26:32 pm »

Quote from: Mesk Vraite | Message to: All
So, having taken a look at the idiot who went exploring on his own, I think we can safely add "radiation" to the list of hazards you all need to watch out for.  Remember that your suits aren't 100% proof against radiation, and they do have built-in radiation counters, so be smart and stay safe out there.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: March 16, 2013, 06:24:39 pm »

Quote from:  Auron to miyamoto
sir we have a problem, the vehicles in the garage have no way of detecting gravimetric anomalies and are therefore unsafe to use for exploration...
There are two options available to us,
we can either use them to drop the drones at the border of unexplored sectors at the cost of rate of exploration
Or we can cannibalize a few drones and install the sensors on our vehicles and hook them up to a pda or our helmet cams, they wouldnt be able to record data but we could at least tell if we were driving toward a powerful anomaly.

I also had an idea for a personal detection device, its a bit ungainly and would be utterly useless on vehicles but it could save someones life..
If we jury rig a long thin pole to a springloaded pivot and attach a small weight to the far end then the weighted tip would lower when it enters an anomaly and give us an approximate reading of the level of gravity inside it, this would also double as an early warning system for the anomalies the drones cant detect.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:31:34 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12962 on: March 16, 2013, 08:15:05 pm »

As Zephyris listened to the old actor, she found something bugging her. Something she didn't quite comprehend.
"I do have a question..", she paused briefly as it occured to her that followers of the religion might find the question offensive. Then again, Flint didn't seem too pious. Surely he wouldn't mind. "Had anyone told either pope the religion's name was way too long?"

((On the subject of landlines: Even if a cable did stretch from here to the Sword, it wouldn't allow for communication on any practical scale.))
((What if it was some kind of ultra-thin four-dimensionally straight tube (so as to ignore the effects of gravity) that took advantage of the casimir effect to allow FTL travel of signals? It would be highly unpractical and expensive (and unnecessary, since we have instant communication devices (that for some reason they haven't trusted us with)) but it would be doable. Theoretically. If the physics are right. I think.))

@Bishop: "Ready and awaiting orders blue leader. I've taken 2 days worth of food and water for the squad, sample containers and 4 drones. I've still got some room in my bag though, and this exosuit can carry a lot. Want me to take anything else?"

((Action post coming after Bishop [Zako] posts. I saw those posts earlier but I didn't had the time to answer. You think we should start laying cables?))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: March 16, 2013, 08:31:56 pm »

((On the subject of landlines: Even if a cable did stretch from here to the Sword, it wouldn't allow for communication on any practical scale.))
((What if it was some kind of ultra-thin four-dimensionally straight tube (so as to ignore the effects of gravity) that took advantage of the casimir effect to allow FTL travel of signals? It would be highly unpractical and expensive (and unnecessary, since we have instant communication devices (that for some reason they haven't trusted us with)) but it would be doable. Theoretically. If the physics are right. I think.))
(...Might work. But yeah, effectively impossible...especially considering the consequences of having a bunch of such tubes across the galaxy connected to the Sword.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: March 16, 2013, 08:58:22 pm »

((Ummm... Why would we want to put landlines on? We're not going to reach Steve anyway, and I don't see their usefulness anywhere. Why would we want landlines?

And Parisbre, do you mind if I nitpick/investigate your character backstory? Because I like nitpicking, but I don't want to make you suffer through it unless you want to.

And I am wondering how the previous team knows about Zone Storm. If they've killed themselves almost immediately, where did they find that knowledge?))

Huh, I'll take this on my trip:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Take the stuff in the inventory spoiler to prepare to go out. Await orders from Bishop and follow them.

((We don't have to take off our suits to eat, right?))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: March 16, 2013, 09:13:38 pm »

"Rubber gloves... I will assume that they were lying around, hopefully"

Find out about expedition plans and prepare by packing three and a half days of rations in a bag, then go outside and grab a bunch of pebbles then colour them bright neon or something highly contrasting to the terrain and use the stuff in the lab to make a slingshot. Then when the team leaves follow mission parameters.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12966 on: March 16, 2013, 09:21:15 pm »

((Ummm... Why would we want to put landlines on? We're not going to reach Steve anyway, and I don't see their usefulness anywhere. Why would we want landlines?
((Landlines are used to bypass interference, because it looks like in certain sectors or after moving further away from the base, radio communication with it is impossible.))
And Parisbre, do you mind if I nitpick/investigate your character backstory? Because I like nitpicking, but I don't want to make you suffer through it unless you want to.
((Sure, constructive criticism is what makes us better. Just remember that a) I'm not a good writer, so don't expect me to do wonders and b) some of the stuff, like the religion names are just for silliness, while others, like the hologram conflict were stolen from history books and other stories and c) Flint can always claim dementia and memory loss, either because of stasis, because of torture or because of age. Edit: Oh, if you didn't know, stasis causes dementia. Piecewise's solution for allowing non-canon backstories without revealing the canon or worrying too much about them: If your backstory contradicts current events, you're suffering from stasis dementia.))
((We don't have to take off our suits to eat, right?))
((No, at least not as far as I know. We have ports for pills and liquids, so we can use those for food too I guess. Although it's kind of hard to imagine how someone could eat a burrito through a tube... Maybe there's a larger food port? Or maybe we'll just mash it into pulp and then drink it, astronaut style?))
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:29:07 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: March 16, 2013, 09:28:25 pm »

Lars shook his head.  Ugh.  He then went to get supplies and gathered his teammates.

"Brothers of Steve!  We are prepared this day to embark on our first expedition of our divine mission!  I expect all to go well and everyone to be safe.  Morul, you and I will be in front.   Your god-given sight will be invaluable in searching out the mysteries of this place.  Auron, as medic, you will be in the middle.  Jack, you shall be in the rear.  Should I be incapacitated, Jack will take command unless overridden by home base.  Get your gear ready, and I will speak an invocation before we depart."

Last, he sent a message to Flint.

Flint, Quartermaster of Canary Base,

I humbly request a gauss rifle magazine to take on the expedition.  I do hope to return it unused.

Sincerely,
Brother Lars

Gather food supplies and teammates.  Get a gauss clip from armory if authorized.  Link camera feed to base monitor.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:32:54 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12968 on: March 16, 2013, 09:42:48 pm »

Flint, Quartermaster of Canary Base,

I humbly request a gauss rifle magazine to take on the expedition.  I do hope to return it unused.

Sincerely,
Brother Lars
Quote from: Flint Westwood to brother Lars
Good day to you, brother Lars

I am sorry to report that there are no clips left in the armory. However you can ask one from Sean or Morul, since they have each taken two from it. I've let their transgressions slide for the moment so as to ease tensions, however now that they are depriving teammates from materials I cannot let this continue. Go to them and tell them that I sent you. If they cause you trouble, remind them that Steve and Miyamoto preach sharing. And if neither of them gives you a clip, just tell me or Miyamoto and we'll make sure you get your clip.

Stay alive,
Flint Westwood
Blue team member
Quartermaster of Canary Base

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: March 16, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »

Lars looked at his wristpad and frowned.  He then showed the message to Morul.

"Brother, please see this message below.  Could you share a clip, please?  Also, if we don't use them, it is best if we return them."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: March 16, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »

Quote from: Bishop | Message to Blue Team
Team, meeet up in the garage after I get our route info for how we are going to explore this rock. I suggest packing at least 3 days worth of food and water, but no more than 5. Also, return any spare magazines to the armory if you have more than one. These are for everyone kiddies, so be nice and share.

Promptly heading to the map room, Bishop sends out another message.

Quote from: Bishop | Message to Miyamoto
Well, I'm getting my team together so I now need to know the specifics of how we are going to explore this rock. I need you to show me the route we are going to take, how long it should take and if we are allowed to drive anything from the garage. I'll meet you in the map room.

Pack 3 days food and water as well as a few sample containers, then head to the map room to get our route that blue team is travelling, then head to the garage to get my group together. Ponder how exactly are we going to eat and drink safely while out in the field incase of radiation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:20:57 am by Zako »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: March 16, 2013, 11:42:50 pm »

grab a long pole from the garage to use as a gravity detector then try to find my squad leader and follow him mindlessly
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:44:42 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: March 17, 2013, 12:06:15 am »

((Everyone's going on foot this time.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: March 17, 2013, 01:25:55 am »

"Hmm. Curious. And alarming, but mostly curious."

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to Miyamoto de Bergerac
  Chernozorov here. Continuing examination of the video logs. Found a few interesting things.
  Firstly, the outpost was not built by this team as was claimed. It exists within the first hours of footage, during the team's landing, so being established earlier is more likely.
  The missing vehicle was a minishuttle rather than an MPV, I assume it's been lost somewhere during exploration. Exploration, but for some reason not mapping - because we found the drones untouched.
  I would say the whole operation is starting to seem suspect. We arrived to almost exactly the same conditions as they did, and they seem to have either gone mad - or gave up and tried to leave - some 60 hours after arriving, if the length of the footage is any indication.
  Finally, there is the important bit. There is mention on the footage of something called the "Zone Storm". It's so far uncertain what form it takes, but it seems it has something to do with increased anomalous activity in areas surrounding the base. Whether or not it can actually threaten the base remains to be seen, but perhaps some preparations should be made.
  That is all for now. Will report further details as they appear.

Keep watching the leader's footage. Pay attention to communications, as always. Try to see if the crater is already there when the team lands, whether the gravimetric anomaly existed then, and whether the team was aware of it. Rewind back to the landing if necessary.

Remember to eat as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: March 17, 2013, 05:14:56 am »

Quote from: To Anton
Oh great, more fun stuff to worry about. Well, we'll probably find out soon enough what a Zone Storm entails exactly. Oh, and make sure you remain on stanby in case we need an emergency extraction, okay?.

((@ Zako: we are going for a small exploration of the zones surrounding the base, sans vehicles cause it's only 1 bighex away from the base. See one of my previous posts for the details. And if shit goes down, we have 3 people at the base capable of flying a shuttle to do emergency extraction.))

Grab 3 scout drones, sample containers and sample gathering materials, get inside Gilgamesh and, once my team is ready, get going towards our designated zone.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:19:16 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1256