Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3940036 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Into the Abyss
« Reply #5295 on: July 19, 2012, 10:46:51 pm »

"Well... your hat looks... a bit beat up, to be honest. I suppose it works for the, uh... 'ruffled gentleman explorer' thing.

She then turned to the guide again.

"I don't mean to be hasty, but can we get started? I'm sure my companions can ask you things along the way, and we shouldn't have too many more questions for Steve."

Ironically, she then asked a question to Steve.

"I don't suppose there's any way we could get some last-minute sample containers? I don't know if everything we find will stay coherent in a bag."

((Or do we have containers of some sort already?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: July 19, 2012, 10:52:23 pm »

Charro was fairly satisfied with that result. 'Not too bad, considering I made it myself. Who knows, it might even work.'
"Thanks. And yes, I suppose we should get a move on. Best not to keep this place waiting, or something."

>Stand around, hands in pockets whilst waiting for the team to get moving.

((Also, throwing-blade-hat would be unconventional weaponry, right?))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: July 19, 2012, 10:52:58 pm »

I'm sure they would like some soil samples, but nothing insane. Hell, they'll probably like anything we bring back as samples, I mean, how often do they get to work with material from an anomaly?

To the team:

I guess I'm more-or-less ready for the trip where it seems it'll mainly be creepy, but not overtly dangerous if nobody acts stupidly. Seeing what I saw on the ship, however, that likelihood is low.

To the Guide:

Few more questions, if someone in our group decides to be an idiot and attack the Lighteater, will it attack the group or just that one person? Have you ever tried to lower something into the pits and haul it back up? And, since you seem to have a supply of chemical lightsticks, may I have a couple?

((I think it's implied that we have plenty of different sample containers and stuff with which to acquire samples, like a very small geologist's pick for rocks or whatnot. GM, correct me if I'm wrong.))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:55:00 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: July 19, 2012, 11:10:53 pm »

((#^&$#&#^#$!!!!

Just remembered my new cutting torch will be completely useless. >:(

Should've taken a monoatomic razor after all...))
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: July 19, 2012, 11:18:48 pm »

((Cutting torch is chemical based, not fire based. It should work since it basically generates intense heat at close range to melt through things.

Also, I still have Charro's laser rifle, I sold his scout eye. I would have given the rifle and a battery for it back, but I forgot and he didn't ask. Sorry!))

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: July 19, 2012, 11:56:37 pm »

((Cutting torch is chemical based, not fire based. It should work since it basically generates intense heat at close range to melt through things.))
(Isn't that basically the same thing?)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5301 on: July 20, 2012, 12:01:25 am »

"I assume your brother named The Lost Citadel. Did he explain why? Seems to be a bit less generic than the other names"
"He never did tell me."

"Well... your hat looks... a bit beat up, to be honest. I suppose it works for the, uh... 'ruffled gentleman explorer' thing.

She then turned to the guide again.

"I don't mean to be hasty, but can we get started? I'm sure my companions can ask you things along the way, and we shouldn't have too many more questions for Steve."

Ironically, she then asked a question to Steve.

"I don't suppose there's any way we could get some last-minute sample containers? I don't know if everything we find will stay coherent in a bag."

((Or do we have containers of some sort already?))

>You've got containers

Charro was fairly satisfied with that result. 'Not too bad, considering I made it myself. Who knows, it might even work.'
"Thanks. And yes, I suppose we should get a move on. Best not to keep this place waiting, or something."

>Stand around, hands in pockets whilst waiting for the team to get moving.

((Also, throwing-blade-hat would be unconventional weaponry, right?))
Unconventional, yep.

I'm sure they would like some soil samples, but nothing insane. Hell, they'll probably like anything we bring back as samples, I mean, how often do they get to work with material from an anomaly?

To the team:

I guess I'm more-or-less ready for the trip where it seems it'll mainly be creepy, but not overtly dangerous if nobody acts stupidly. Seeing what I saw on the ship, however, that likelihood is low.

To the Guide:

Few more questions, if someone in our group decides to be an idiot and attack the Lighteater, will it attack the group or just that one person? Have you ever tried to lower something into the pits and haul it back up? And, since you seem to have a supply of chemical lightsticks, may I have a couple?

((I think it's implied that we have plenty of different sample containers and stuff with which to acquire samples, like a very small geologist's pick for rocks or whatnot. GM, correct me if I'm wrong.))
"I don't know what it would do. I don't recommend it though. And no, I've never tried lowering anything down and pulling it back up."
The man replies as he throws you 3 glow sticks.

"Alright, enough guff. Lets get going. We  can always talk on the way."

He walks over to the refrigerator and places his hand on the handle. He looks back at the group.

"Do as I say, when I say it. Don't ask why. Just do it."

He opens the door of the refrigerator; it's empty, all the shelving has been ripped out. The back of the fridge also seems to be gone, replaced with a solid black wall that you can tell, somehow, isn't normal. Conrad proceeds to lay on his stomach and push himself feet first into the blackness, disappearing a moment later.

The team follows him in one by one. Some follow his example and land feet first, while others walk straight in and end up falling face first: The enterance, vertical in the normal world, is horizontal and several feet above the ground in the other. The ground around the entrance is surrounded with lights: strings of lights, lanterns attached to cords, even searchlights, all scattered around in white, sugar-like sand. Beyond that light is nothing but solid, yawning darkness. 

"First things first." Conrad says once everyone is through, "Light does not work the same here. That's the first and most important thing you should keep in mind."

He takes a glow stick from his belt and cracks it, shaking it till it begins to glow blue. He turns away from the group and hurls the stick out into the darkness.  Once beyond the glow of the lanterns you can see what he means: The blue light of the stick doesn't expand outward and fade with distance, it remains uniformly bright until it abruptly stops.  The glowstick looks like a light blue sphere of light maybe 20 feet across, arcing out away from you. And then it is gone, like a candle being snuffed out, as soon as the last edge of the sphere gets beyond the dome of light around you.

"Here, light doesn't just keep going, it's finite and truncated, like a bubble. Within that bubble you can see, outside of it you're blind. There could be a thousand of those glow sticks laying around on there, just feet from this little island of light and we couldn't see them because their light won't reach us."

He points off in the opposite direction, straight behind the group. You all turn in unison and see that the island of light narrows to a tunnel of interconnected lamps, each on a wooden steak with a rope strung between them. It looks like a tunnel, 40 foot in diameter, cut into the shadow; you can see down it's length, but can't see it  from the side.

"If you connect the bubbles, light can continue to travel. It's the only way to see here, to connect the dots. That's our path."

He shrugs the pack on his shoulders, repositioning it's weight, and starts walking down the path.

((Cutting torch is chemical based, not fire based. It should work since it basically generates intense heat at close range to melt through things.))
(Isn't that basically the same thing?)
Actually the torch is a laser, if you read the description in the armory. It's only called a torch to differentiate it from the cutting laser. And since it works with light it will still work.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: July 20, 2012, 12:10:19 am »

That'll play hell with our laser weapons, no doubt. Our kinetic weapons should work fine, however, if we need them.

Collect a sample of the sand, maybe 5oz, seal it into a container, pocket it and follow our guide.

Is the whole path marked in this manner? If it is, then it'll be simple enough for everyone to stay on it, because moving off of it would almost guarantee that you might never find it again... Which, in my opinion, at least, is one of the most moronic things one of us could do.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:19:19 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: July 20, 2012, 12:20:07 am »

((Whew. Yay for cutting things!))

"How'd you choose this route, by the way? Chance, or was there something special?"

Collect some sand. Follow guide.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:47 am »

Charro picked himself up after his ungainly landing, dusting himself off before looking around.
"Oh, my. That's... Interesting." He hastened to keep up with Conrad, peering warily through the darkness.
"So these are the 'plains', then? Or are we not there yet?" He realised he was speaking in a hushed voice in the surroundings, and felt slightly foolish. Still, it just seemed... Appropriate.

>Follow! Hands by my sides, ready to wield hat in case of attack.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: July 20, 2012, 01:07:51 am »

((Mmph, this is what it feels to be left out. Yet in action...))

((Q: Does the Laser Rifle's light or weaponry power work? With all the discussion in the VR, does it-...wait, let me ask IC.))

Feyri moved along with the rest, glad to see familiar faces amongst the crowd of hardened ones - not to say the former weren't as hardened. "Are lasers affected by the anomaly, in any area? Most can't give off light, but is it...um, affected by it? Being only on one wavelength that is...

"Did you also meet anything hostile along the way?"

"And what happened to your older brother, if I may ask?"

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: July 20, 2012, 01:12:28 am »

"Very interesting. Now I know you mentioned some of the wildlife is a 'flame', and therefore creates its own light. Is that true of all the wildlife you've encountered, and if not, have you determined how they 'see'?

Also, is the size of the light bubble dependent on intensity?"

Follow along. This will be an auto action unless I state otherwise

((He disappeared in the Lost Citadel. I assume we'll be having a...Hallelujah reunion when we get there))

"This is where you're going. It was the farthest my older brother ever got, and I've never been there myself. It's where he went missing. I can't tell you wants in there, but my brother seemed to think it was something important. I hope you can find what he did."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:16:23 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: July 20, 2012, 01:18:51 am »

((He disappeared in the Lost Citadel. I assume we'll be having a...Hallelujah reunion when we get there))

"This is where you're going. It was the farthest my older brother ever got, and I've never been there myself. It's where he went missing. I can't tell you wants in there, but my brother seemed to think it was something important. I hope you can find what he did."
((I was asking for more information on that, but re-reading on how it was said, looks like an MIA due to...time period elapsed?))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: July 20, 2012, 01:42:58 am »

(( Oh, I weep for not being able to tinker-prepare for this mission with the advice the man gave us. For example, we could have made some equipment to detect things with the use of sound-waves instead of photons... ))
Just asking, but haven't anyone tried using a sonar system to provide for longer-range reconnaissance? Like the one which helps the bats to navigate the way. The atmosphere is here, right? Or is something strange with sounds here too?
Collect a sample of air here into the tiniest air-tight container I have.
((Just asking, roughly about how much of those do we have? ))

By the way, I suggest we take each sample in duplicate or triplicate - by different people, that is. After we get out of this place, the extra samples of the same substances may be dumped (the priority in keeping the sample, if any, should probably have the person who initially decided to collect them), but it looks like the possibility of being forever stranded (or worse) here should not be taken lightly. I am not saying we are going to leave anyone behind that easy, but we may really be unable to find him (or her) despite all our efforts, thus unfortunately wasting his life as well as the samples - and the ingenuity of taking which   he had. I suggest seeing this as a last courtesy to the person gone missing.

((Oh, and by the way, could someone remind me who is the camera bearer? ))

EDIT: Also collect a sample of the soil.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:58:44 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: July 20, 2012, 01:48:16 am »

((Oh, and by the way, could someone remind me who is the camera bearer? ))
((I'm also curious because the camera hasn't been mentioned since the briefing.))

Milno also collects some of the soil and turns "buzz" mode on for a short period of time to check if his MkIII will be impaired from flying.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1256