Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD [Turn 2: Raaaaaaage]  (Read 17291 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD [Turn 2: Raaaaaaage]
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:43:35 pm »

Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD

"...."
           -adwarf

Background
  Once upon a time, a great evil threatened the world. Sensing the danger, several individuals banded together in order to stop it, using mystical powers to defend their world against the rising tide. They could not have known at the time that their valiant efforts would set the framework for those who came after, or that the evil they fought threatened far more than their own world.

Though their powers grew and the bonds between them strengthened, these friends in war and peace could never destroy their foes- only keep them at bay. In some ways, their presence even strengthened their enemies' resolve, making their tireless vigil an even greater necessity...

For too long, however, the citadel of these mighty defenders has lain dormant. Evil is once again stirring, and champions are needed to hold back the tide. The fate of your world, of all worlds, rests on the courage and will to fight of a select few. Drawn from those worlds most threatened by the darkness' return, these heroes are granted the mystical powers needed to fight back against the lurking ruin of all existence.

Good luck.

Overview
Welcome to Valiant Pretty Princess Soldiers RTD! In this RTD, you take the role of a brave individual who has been selected to become a Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier and battle an evil that threatens to consume the universe if left unchecked. Don't worry though, because to do this you'll be granted mystical powers that improve your combat ability and even alter your appearance- usually to involve custom frilly pink dresses!

Most of your operations will take place in The Maw, the very source of these troubles. Located far from any known world, The Maw is a terrible, ever-changing place filled with the unexpected. Valiant Pretty Princess Soldiers are advised to use extreme caution in attempting to battle and explore the twisting chaos, as death isn't even the worst thing that can happen to you...

In addition to fighting evil when it appears, Valiant Pretty Princess Soldiers will be expected to perform more ambitious, long-term, and active duties. Collecting information and materials, constructing new equipment and buildings, and conducting research and resupply tasks may all prove vital to your efforts.

If any of this seems like too much, don't worry- the courage was in you all along. Also, you'll have cute magical animals on hand to answer questions and provide advice- but remember, ultimately these decisions must be yours.

Basic Rules

Attacks
Everything uses d6s. There are three primary ways to attain bonuses to a roll.

Descriptive Actions: Any action that is described moderately well gains a +1 bonus to the roll. This needn't be complex or long-winded- "I punch him in the face" would be a perfectly acceptable descriptive action, as it describes exactly what you are doing- punching him in the face. "I hit him" would not be, as it doesn't explain where you're hitting him or with what.

Appropriate Actions: Any action that is especially effective given the situation gains a +1 bonus to the roll. Examples include using fire on a particularly flammable enemy, attempting to trip or knock down an unbalanced enemy, or rushing an enemy that isn't expecting an attack. Needless to say, the GM has the final say on whether an action is specific and appropriate enough to gain this bonus.

Raw Power: Some creatures (and all players, once they've fully awakened) have the ability to overcharge their attacks, producing an especially powerful effect. Usually, this means expending some limited resource for a +1 bonus to a given action.

Other modifiers may apply as well, but are usually more circumstantial. For instance, a particularly inappropriate attack, such as trying to light a fire elemental on fire, might take a penalty to the attack roll.

Hit Points
Many creatures, notably players, have more than just a solid mass of hit points- they have several layers or stages. A layered hit point total is usually denoted by its coloring- for players, for instance, green is healthy, yellow is injured, and red is heavily injured. When a creature runs out of hit points, it drops to full hit points at the next layer, if it has one. Excess damage does not carry over, but being overpowered by a mighty attack while at low health might have negative consequences.

Character Creation
To join, please provide the following:

Name: Self-explanatory
Physical: Description of your character physically. Age, gender, eye color, height, build, and so on would go here.
Mental: Description of your character mentally. Outlook, preferences, habits, and so on would go here.
Bio: Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere. History, current opinions, family, and so on might end up here.
Familiar: Here goes your fuzzy magical animal companion- this is the thing that recruited you, and what is nominally your liaison should you need anything. Familiars have little combat ability, and usually only the bravest willingly go into battle even in an advisory role. You may describe as little as one or two traits or features (physical feature, personality trait, knowledge specialty, etc), or a full description of their talents and abilities. Do note, however, that submitted Familiars are subject to change based on certain factors; thus, carefully detailed Familiars may end up radically different than intended.

And that's it. Powers and such will be discovered in play- but don't worry, you'll still get to select them.

Do note that there are no particular limits on races, technology levels, etc. Background such as this will not usually provide any innate benefits, but may have a large impact on your character's traits and powers as a whole.

We will begin with 5 players. Reservations are allowed.

Waitlist:
Spoiler: Kari Buru (Asilidae) (click to show/hide)
Gatleos
lawastooshort
Spoiler: Chance Scott (empfan) (click to show/hide)
adwarf

Current Information

Players:
Spoiler: Lan Vilere (Tiruin) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rodrick Jelly (mcclay) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:09:05 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD [Recruiting!]
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:46:24 pm »

uum... do i need to have AN DAMN DRESS??

also: dont humiliate snake like that please :[
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:49:13 pm »

Give me a minute.

Name: Derek Talbot
Physical: 20, male, dark green eyes and dark blond hair in a 'I put no effort into this whatsoever' style, about 5'11, and kinda leanish-average, though surprisingly flexible.
Mental: Thinks pretty differently than most people, and has a very hard time in the social skills department. An avid fan of fictional mediums, he is somewhat more Genre savvy than the regular person. A loner by nature, but doesn't mind brief spurts of sociality. Is quite blunt. Edges toward neutrality in emotions, doesn't blink an eye towards anger but completely panics when faced with sadness. Tends to favor the color green.
Bio:: One younger brother (Name: Conner) With whom he shares a more vitrolic than usual relationship with, and no close friends to speak of. Is an atheist in the sense that he couldn't give less of a crap about religion, but an avid believer in SCIENCE! and asking the question 'why' as many times as physically possible. Does not believe that any power can be automatically defined as 'evil' unless explicit proof is given.
Familiar: Cuttlefish with octagonal eyes.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:29:25 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »

uum... do i need to have AN DAMN DRESS??
Yes.

also: dont humiliate snake like that please :[
No.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:53:57 pm »

Name: Fifrilbus
Physical: A young female cutebold. She stands at just under one meter tall.
Mental: She is naive, eternally optimistic, energetic, somewhat cowardly, has slightly below average intelligence (human-wise), and a low pain tolerance. She loves all life, and gets sad when she so much as accidentally squishes a bug. She is a vegan, and prefers to consume sweet fruit and fruit juice when possible.
Bio: She and her family grew up with wood elves. Her familiar appeared one day, gave her a dream about the world in ruins, and told her that she was needed to prevent this. The shaking 'bold agreed to do anything to prevent the dreams from coming true. Her parents tried to talk her out of leaving, but failed.
Familiar: Named Clair. A jet-black cat with red skin tiny bat wings. She can usually only be understood by Fifrilbus or another familiar. Her preferred conveyance is Fifrilbus' head, and she tends to hover when that's unavailable. She is very strict with Fifrlibus about hygiene and cleanliness. She is particularly knowledgeable about monster lore.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:21:44 pm by Nirur Torir »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:56:10 pm »

Definitely watching this. On the fence on joining, but watching the insanity at any rate.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 08:10:35 pm »

...Screw it, I'm going for it.

Name: Faith Galeno
Physical: Faith has large blue eyes and straight, ash-black hair with red streaks that hangs to either side of her chin in the front and mid-ear-length around the sides, and shaved underneath. She is tall for a woman with a slim but wide-hipped build, with most of her height in her legs. As for clothing, black leather with occasional red and gold is the order of the day, with lots of buckles and chains. She tends to wear dark make-up.
Mental: Outgoing and sarcastic, with an interest in machinery and the gothic lifestyle.
Bio: She's sixteen, so basically really nothing of interest has happened to her.
Familiar: Wimbley is a black bat with glowing red eyes and fangs. He's about a foot from toe to ears when hanging upside down. Perhaps the most interesting thing about him is that he has red glowing designs along his wings; poor for stealth, but he does have the passive ability to slightly amplify whatever magic he wishes.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:50:20 pm »

Finished!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:57:02 am by Tiruin »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »

Fuck it, I'm doing this.
Name: Rodrick Jelly
Physical: Roderick is the manliest man on the planet. When viewied he looks like Ash from evil dead and Conan the barbrian, the manliest men in our universe
Mental: He is stoic, brave, loyal and any other manly  traits. The only way to make him cry is to have him watch a display of great manlyness or extremly sad things. He is so manly that dresses make him look even more manly (espically if they are all lacy and pink.)
Famliar: Rodrick's famliar is Mother fucking sentient Honey Badger. Does any more really need to be said

I had wayyyyy to much fun with this one.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Asilidae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:54:02 am »

Name: Kari Baku
Physical: Slim and slender, he is easily mistaken for a girl, especially with his new attire. Purple hair in a ponytail and purple eyes. Outfit is a typical sailor schoolgirl outfit with purple for the skirt and neck tie. Purple wide cone hat that is actually his familiar
Mental: Haughty and bitchy. Speaks down to others but has a hidden tender side. Ya know, tsundere.
Bio: Kari's bad attitude comes from being fawned over by adults and bullied by those within his age group. It lead him to having a superiority complex and viewing criticism as jealousy.
Familiar: Purple wide cone hat with a single eye and wide mouth with long, thick tongue. Mouth is usually closed and impossible to see when it is.

>No more giant penises. We had a sort of Arms Race once when one guy ordered himself a 14inch synth-flesh abomination and the guy after him had to order one that was 15 inches. It kept escalating till someone got their entire lower body replaced with a slithering, naga tail package that they actually got around on.

I had to vent the entire living quarters.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 01:18:57 am »

Oh God yes it's finally happening.

Waitlist meh.

Should I provide a sheet now, or wait until I'm in?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 02:38:39 am »

I would be interested in a waitlist spot please.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 03:05:01 am »

Should I provide a sheet now, or wait until I'm in?
Either way is fine. Though, later players may have to make character choices on or immediately after coming in that the starting set got to go through the little tutorial on, which might or might not affect your decisions(s).

Also, looks like we're just waiting on Tiruin. I don't think Ahra was trying to reserve a spot, but I could be wrong.

Eh, I was planning on possibly bringing in a Sixth Ranger at some point anyway.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Valiant Pretty Princess Soldier RTD [Prologue!]
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 04:23:09 am »

Prologue

The transition from your world to your destination is strange- light surrounds you, and you lose any real sense of anything. The arrival is much more pronounced, with a feeling like a sudden drop and a fairly loud, oddly laser-ish sounding noise.

Well, here you are.

The first thing you notice about your surroundings is that they're awfully red. It looks almost like a fancy hotel- while you're standing on polished white stone, most of the rest of the structure appears to be red with gold decorations and trim.

It's hard to tell what the room you're in is used for, aside from teleporting people in, but it's got some built-in podium-like structures near one wall. The opposite wall gives a stunning view of open, dark void with some fairly spectacular nebula-like features in purple. A twisted mass of rock is visible at about your level and reasonably close, but it looks more like the surface of an asteroid than a place you could go visit.

Quote from: dermonster
Appear!
Hmph. That was weird, alright, but you still wanna know why Seracus refused to explain how it works.

"Here we are," he says redundantly, his voice echoing as it always does. "Are you prepared to meet your new companions?"

Glancing around, you notice a... alright, you don't know what that is, but it's three feet tall and looks vaguely animalistic. Some kind of alien? There's also some goth chick and either a bodybuilder or an action movie hero.

"There is another, but it seems there are delays," Seracus continues, hovering languidly. "Your first order of business should be conferring with them. They will be useful."

"Once those formalities are completed, we should commence combat training. Your powers must be developed before your work can truly begin. The training area is nearby for just such a purpose."

Quote from: Nirur Torir
Appear!
Well, that was kind of scary, but nothing you can't handle.

"Here we are," Clair purrs. "First things first: You should say hello to your new companions. We seem to be missing one, but I'm sure they'll turn up."

Glancing around, you see two tall elf-like things, but a bit stockier than normal. One's a lot darker than the other, though. There's also-

...wow. You didn't know people got that big. Normally you'd think it was several people standing on top of each other, but his chest seems awfully well-defined to be several mischievous kids in a sack. He's really wide too! You could probably ride on his head like Clair rides on yours.

"Once that's done, we'll move to the training area. I'm sure you'll do just fine."

Quote from: SeriousConcentrate
Appear!
Well, that was weird. Probably would have been cooler if the light wasn't pure white, though. Not like it matters, but they couldn't do a blood-red teleportation?

"Heheheheh," Wimbley chuckles in his usual husky voice. "Seems we're short one; hope they're alright. As for you, best say hello to your friends; they'll be all you've got for a while."

Glancing around, you notice some guy and some guy who looks like a walking beer commercial. You also notice some... three-foot tall... animal-thing? You're not sure.

"Heheheheheh. Once that's done, off to the training room. Heheheheheh, shouldn't be hard, real training's in the combat room. Heheheheh."

Quote from: mcclay
Appear!
Well, that wasn't very impressive. The least they could have done was hurled you through a window on your way in.

Clancey yawns, still perched on your shoulder. Man, she is laid back when she's not springing into action. That's alright though, you know she's got it when it counts.

"Should probably say 'ello to the friends," she says sleepily. "They'll be real important once the fighting's on."

You glance around. There's two kids and a three-foot-tall alien or something. Guess you're on daycare duty?

"Doooon' worry, they'll fight just like you. Need t' get y'all trained, though. Iiiiiknow, Iiiiiiknow, already know howda fight. Not like this, though. Gotta fight with spirit, not just everything else. Youuuu'll see. Traaaainin' room's waitin'."

The prologue will be a combination of freeform RP, additional character creation, and tutorial. Tiruin (and Ahra if he was trying to reserve) will pop in a bit later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8