Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<  (Read 48228 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:55 pm »

Yes, we are doing this again! This time with new blood. The devilish human commander, Burnt Pies, is residing in his headquarters at [Redacted]. May I have better luck with base placement this time!

As you can see in the opening image, I have placed my base in the middle east. My (better) logic is as follows:
He'll find my base by following my UFOs. If I place my base in a more centrally located area, he won't be too sure if I'm in Europe, Africa, or Asia...at least for a few weeks.

I named my base destiny, because it sounded cool.  ;)

Also: If you don't know how to play Aliens, there's a wonderful tutorial in my first alien thread. I won't repeat it here because I see no reason to. Anyway, on with the game!

My images were all jumbled up. So I kind of have to guess what happened when. While my update shows I only went to Australia once, I'm pretty sure I went there twice, with America in the middle. The reason America is at the end is because he didn't attack me until I was well into Australia...so, meh. This makes it easier to understand. Just know that there was more going on in that week then I posted. Anyway, just to total things up:

He knocked down 3 small scouts, and has 'pillaged' two of them. The third one is still in Australia.

I have made 2 small scouts in the mean time.

He also almost destroyed a medium scout, but I ran it away in time. I didn't bother to mention this in the update because I wasn't sure when it happened.

He also uses the basic set up of cannons + tornado missiles(or whatever the low damage ones are called). Either this is neglect, or he finds this set-up useful.(I personally would drop the cannon immediately, that cannon is the reason my medium scout got away. Maybe someone can throw him a tip?).

Finely, I think hes in Europe. Or NW Africa. He hasn't intercepted anything I've sent into central Asia, but has intercepted: N. America, Australia, and Europe. Australia was likely a lucky guess both times.

Comments, criticism, 'claiming', and nitpicks I take that back are welcome, as always.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:42:33 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides [Alien Thread] >2.0<
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »

Interesting, though hard to follow.

Quiggle, chief only researcher of UFO-7, would like to suggest we ruthlessly focus our efforts on South America. Not only will the puny humans have difficulty stopping us, it will allow us to fake them out by pillaging Asia whenever we choose.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:40:17 pm »

Interesting, though hard to follow.

Could you be more specific? I know that it's partially because all my images were jumbled up. That's been fixed now for future updates(I hope).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:42:08 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:45:41 pm »

I suggest we continue to zerg rush America with easily disposable fighters throughout this war.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:11:39 pm »

I feel so betrayed!

But in the vein of advice, I was lazy and didn't read the full OP yet. Constantly keeps your ships moving, I mean constantly. The first month should be a click fest for the aliens, once your found, move immediately.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »

Could you be more specific? I know that it's partially because all my images were jumbled up. That's been fixed now for future updates(I hope).
I don't know what any of those numbers or concepts mean, so when you show me a picture of Australia with a red 1% over a 6 over an 11 I really have no idea what you're trying to show me.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:54:00 pm »

I don't know what any of those numbers or concepts mean, so when you show me a picture of Australia with a red 1% over a 6 over an 11 I really have no idea what you're trying to show me.

I had a feeling it was this. I tried to make the update shorter by not explaining anything, since it was already painfully long, for just a week in game.

All of those numbers are pretty much meaningless to you, the reader, and often times I don't even bother looking at them. However, they mean this:

Top: % of daylight. Aliens are good at night, humans good in the day(just with perception checks, they're not actually "Supermen" in daylight. But then again, seeing the enemy is everything in this game).

Middle: # of hours remaining on the mission. Which this reaches 0, the UFO lifts off.

Bottom: Effectiveness of this mission. This number depends on the mission. Generally, higher is better.

Any more questions are more than welcome. I'm not sure what needs to be explained and what doesn't. Also, make sure to check out the first post of this thread.

Spoiler: FAQ for the 1st Update (click to show/hide)

I'll try to take the update a bit more slowly next time.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 11:59:00 pm »

I like this, I wanna see aliens conquer the earth. 

Most of these have been probe rushes, skirmishes with ships and single grey aliens.  When will you get a full terror force? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:35:23 am »

Vhen hyu get a muton ship, Noryasha Grunk vould like too be sayink hello to dah humans leadink her brethren and ask dem "are hyu heffink good time?" Answer is alvays to shoot dem vit more plasma.

Hyahyahya.

^vvv^

(Translation: Noryasha Grunk for one Muton Ship, when you get one. :P)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 01:45:15 am »

If we're being extra-terrestrialed, can I be a grey alien?  I expect to die, very very quickly, so will there be re-applications? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 08:17:27 am »

Well, since the greys are clones... I suspect he can keep popping out more of you!

Since he's somewhere in Eurasia and knows you work in Australia, what about attacking South America for a bit?

I volunteer to join the forces of evil, preferably as a cryssalid! (walking bug men of evil.)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:31:33 am »

I think generally the Alien side just assigns people entire ships, rather than individual units.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 09:52:04 am »

I'll take a spot as the leader of a Snakeman ship, when possible.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 10:19:55 am »

Actually, If I could get meself any ships you care to name, that'd be great
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 11:29:56 am »

There are some....difficulties, when assigning people. For one, units are abstractly tracked("there are 5 soldiers on this ship"). When one dies, well, hes dead. However, if the ship is repaired, it goes back to base and, I'm pretty sure, its losses are replaced. Or at the very least, I can resupply crew. Also I have no idea how to rename UFOs.

This brings me to three solutions that may or may not work.

1. UFOs -are- numbered, and therefore I can keep track if someone claims one. However, that may get difficult to do so(considering the game is real time and all and I have a 2 second lag, keeping track of UFOs and what they're doing would be at the bottom of the priority list).

2. When a UFO crashes, I will randomly assign people Sectoids, based on a list. If you die, you're shuffled to the bottom. If you have a preference for a specific species(such as Cryssalid), I will only assign you as such.(This will get very confusing, very fast, since Sectoids don't have names)

3. A mixture of the first 2. You claim a UFO. When you crash, I assign you the most important looking unit(be it engineer, medic, leader, ect.). You can have very limited control over the behavior of this unit. The reason I say its limited is because this IS a competition, and I can't be restrained by "Will only fire human weapons".  ::)

Most of these have been probe rushes, skirmishes with ships and single grey aliens.  When will you get a full terror force? 

Hmm. A full terror mission? That can't happen until March. We also can't find each other's bases until March. Though seeing a base and 'knowing' its there isn't very different.

And: To use the forever loved terror units themselves, I require a terror ship, which is pretty far down the tech tree.

"Fake Edit" You know what, scratch that. I'll just go with 3. Which will require some editing for claiming.

"Real Edit" To cut down on the images, I have decided not to take a screenshot when I make buildings. I'll simply make a summary screen at the end of the update.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:35:39 am by Orb »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17