Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975045 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4725 on: January 11, 2014, 07:47:39 am »

Well this sucks. The new updates and mods require higher specs then my laptop can handle. If I try to explore, it lags to no end. What the heck do you have to do to ramp up the requirements that much???
Minecraft isn't coded too well, and a lot of mods increases the amount of RAM used, for one. If you have lots of mods that add new blocks to worldgen, generation of new chunks is probably slowed down a great deal too, etc etc

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: January 11, 2014, 08:51:18 am »

Well this sucks. The new updates and mods require higher specs then my laptop can handle. If I try to explore, it lags to no end. What the heck do you have to do to ramp up the requirements that much???
Minecraft isn't coded too well, and a lot of mods increases the amount of RAM used, for one. If you have lots of mods that add new blocks to worldgen, generation of new chunks is probably slowed down a great deal too, etc etc

Additionally, Java is a bit of a resource hog by itself.  I've seen it demand similar memory and load to basic Minecraft for programs that were objectively less complex.

Micro102, have you tried dialing down your render distance?  That might help a little with performance.  My kid had turned it up to 16 for working on some large pixel art offline, but didn't turn it back down for our vanilla creative server.... was complaining about framerates until she remembered.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: January 11, 2014, 05:45:55 pm »

Additionally, Java is a bit of a resource hog by itself.  I've seen it demand similar memory and load to basic Minecraft for programs that were objectively less complex.

Micro102, have you tried dialing down your render distance?  That might help a little with performance.  My kid had turned it up to 16 for working on some large pixel art offline, but didn't turn it back down for our vanilla creative server.... was complaining about framerates until she remembered.

Yeah, I tried setting it to tiny, tried exiting out of firefox which was using up 0.5 GB of RAM..... but after exploring in creative mode it ended up taking multiple minutes for the game to start loading the chunks around my area. merely walking on land loading chunks makes fighting impossible.

I don't think it's RAM as exiting out of firefox doesn't show a noticeable effect and while minecraft is using over 1.5 GB, and I have a total of 4 GB with plenty of RAM to spare. The problem seems to be the CPU. It is constantly running at around a full core's worth of power. Sometimes dipping over into 60% processing power       (I have 2 cores)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: January 11, 2014, 07:54:52 pm »

It sucks to be forced, but my sister used to only be able to play reliably on SMP before she got a decent PC.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: January 11, 2014, 08:32:26 pm »

Are you running optifine? It may help with the CPU load.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: January 11, 2014, 09:42:55 pm »

I had some issues with chunk loading (and lots of "corrupted" chunks) even when running optifine, when playing Technic pack and a 32x (or maybe 64x? I forget) texture pack. I ended up having to scale back the render distance (I used to set it up to "Far"+something, +64 maybe?, now just "far"), and all chunk loading problems stopped.

Of course, I am on a PC. While it is not particularly powerful, it might be better than your laptop; to wit, I could probably run my preferred render distance if I wasn't using a texture pack, while you may have to scale down your render distance even if running vanilla.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4731 on: January 12, 2014, 04:18:58 am »

If the lag is only happening when you explore new terrain there was some thing around which would pre-gen the world for you. I think it was for servers so they wouldn't lag from having people heading every which way. I can't remember what its called but if you can find something like that at least it would remove the exploration lag as long as you stay within the area you generated.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

March

• Bay Watcher
  • undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: January 12, 2014, 01:42:14 pm »

I lost a quarry on the server, if anyone finds it, I'd like to know.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:17 pm »

https://www.mediafire.com/?511dcme0q7ie97k

Map for pixelmon, if anyone's interested.
A pixelmon server? I might be interested.. Should anyone make one.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: January 17, 2014, 09:19:09 pm »

I haven't downloaded the map to look at it, but does it have things like machines and shops put in? Because I looked at Pixelmon in the past but was turned off by the fact that you apparently have to create all the infrastructure of the world by yourself. That works for most of Minecraft, but just seems really weird for Pokemon.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4735 on: January 20, 2014, 02:02:07 pm »

RE: Interest

I have never and likely will never enjoy pokemon/pixelmon/whatevermon crap.

So no interest here. But its cool that the mod approximates it so well.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: January 20, 2014, 02:23:20 pm »

Sorry about the double post, but I found this in a mod called 'the creep'

Disclaimer (very important):The terms 'The Creep' (and any associated names not already copyrighted by Mojang ONLY) and 'Zaphelon' are prohibited for use unless referring to the original mod.The mods listed above, either being developed or already released, are not allowed to be distributed in any way without consent of the owner, MCZaphelon.
What the living fuck is wrong with these modders?!

You'd think that someone who plays MINECRAFT would know better than to try and copyright words.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: January 20, 2014, 02:44:43 pm »

You know, the Minecraft modding community was horrible for as long as I remember, but it's gotten way worse since the moderators, in all their 'wisdom,' decided to force the modders to include a Terms of Agreement.

Which is funny, since if I remember correctly, there are many ToAs which failed in court.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: January 20, 2014, 07:09:35 pm »

I can't imagine how many annoying adlinks I'd have to filter through if modders had to finance legal fees in order to pursue violations against their spurious terms of agreements.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 pm by Niveras »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: January 23, 2014, 06:45:22 pm »

Sorry about the double post, but I found this in a mod called 'the creep'

Disclaimer (very important):The terms 'The Creep' (and any associated names not already copyrighted by Mojang ONLY) and 'Zaphelon' are prohibited for use unless referring to the original mod.The mods listed above, either being developed or already released, are not allowed to be distributed in any way without consent of the owner, MCZaphelon.
What the living fuck is wrong with these modders?!

You'd think that someone who plays MINECRAFT would know better than to try and copyright words.
I suspect that the people who are egotistical and defensive like that (Minecraft modders) don't actually keep up to date with Mojang's blog in any way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 326