Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 976053 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #4095 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:09 am »

and tbh gregtech isn't all THAT hard. I ran up the entire gregtech tree in singleplayer in just about 10 hours of play time.

So you basically need to play for 10 hours to do stuff you normally could of in a minute?
If your finding anything wrong with that. Your in the Wrong Community tbh. Last check Bay12ers love a good challenge, and the fact that you can easily get top tier gear in Vanilla Minecraft in as short as it takes to;
Punch 5 Wood, Make Crafting Bench, Make Wood Pick, Dig STRAIGHT DOWN, Make Stone Pick, Continue Digging down to level 11ish. Look around at that level taking care not to swim in lava...
Ignoring the Kids voice and stupidity (mines diamonds with Stone Pick). Here is a nice quick Diamond find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pIbTl-MmY

Without Greg Tech this would mean you would have enough Diamonds for a Diamond Drill quite quickly...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4096 on: June 08, 2013, 09:48:51 am »

Yeah. I mean if you just want to do stuff with no challenge you can play creative mode.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: June 08, 2013, 10:24:45 am »

Really though, I don't understand the objection here. If you don't like gregtech, simply don't use it. There's no need to bitch about other people having fun with it when nobody is forcing you to play with the mod.
I know you weren't talking to me here but I figure a lot of the complaints about mods come from not being able to find a server with the desired mods. For instance I dislike armour that makes you invulnerable or mods that make potions obsolete, but I can seldom find a server that disables those recipes. I realise I could just not use those items, but I like the idea that everyone is at risk and doubly so with the bosses and dungeons added by mods like The Twilight Forest. In a similar vein I'd sorely like to see more long distance rail instead of teleporting everywhere.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: June 08, 2013, 10:39:59 am »

Really though, I don't understand the objection here. If you don't like gregtech, simply don't use it. There's no need to bitch about other people having fun with it when nobody is forcing you to play with the mod.
I know you weren't talking to me here but I figure a lot of the complaints about mods come from not being able to find a server with the desired mods. For instance I dislike armour that makes you invulnerable or mods that make potions obsolete, but I can seldom find a server that disables those recipes. I realise I could just not use those items, but I like the idea that everyone is at risk and doubly so with the bosses and dungeons added by mods like The Twilight Forest. In a similar vein I'd sorely like to see more long distance rail instead of teleporting everywhere.
Me... Personally I would love to find out HOW to actually disable recipes. I can never work out how to do it. I once tried but all it did was remove the Icons, they could still craft and collect the item despite the icon not even being there. So weird...

My Current building of a Pack includes a few good mods. Here one sec let me get my list...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit - There is also another small/newish mod that is quite cool, but still not sure if I am adding right, it changes the way Health is handled. You can actually start the game with 1 Heart or maybe 3 for Zelda style. You gain hearts by Leveling or collecting Heart Pieces (Zelda again) from Dungeon Chests, the combination of the two systems isn't working all that well together atm tbh. But its quite a different start. A Zombie can 2 hit you and Skele's are scary as fuck...
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/115172-152-noheros-mods-more-health-40-no-more-base-class-edits-updated-to-152/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:44:15 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4099 on: June 08, 2013, 11:09:55 am »

Spoiler: My current mod list (click to show/hide)
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: June 08, 2013, 06:22:38 pm »

and tbh gregtech isn't all THAT hard. I ran up the entire gregtech tree in singleplayer in just about 10 hours of play time.

So you basically need to play for 10 hours to do stuff you normally could of in a minute?
If your finding anything wrong with that. Your in the Wrong Community tbh. Last check Bay12ers love a good challenge, and the fact that you can easily get top tier gear in Vanilla Minecraft in as short as it takes to;
Punch 5 Wood, Make Crafting Bench, Make Wood Pick, Dig STRAIGHT DOWN, Make Stone Pick, Continue Digging down to level 11ish. Look around at that level taking care not to swim in lava...
Ignoring the Kids voice and stupidity (mines diamonds with Stone Pick). Here is a nice quick Diamond find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pIbTl-MmY

Without Greg Tech this would mean you would have enough Diamonds for a Diamond Drill quite quickly...

More time does not mean more difficult. Difficulty is trying to set up your wiring without blowing up your machines. Difficulty is finding an efficient setup for power transfer so you don't waste resources. Difficulty is trying to find new resources. Difficulty is not time sinking.

Is it easy to toggle gregtech? Is there a IU tab in the options? Or do you have to go open files and read up on what to change?

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: June 08, 2013, 06:24:28 pm »

Disabling Gregtech from the client is as simple as opening the FTB launcher, going to edit modpack, and clicking on gregtech then remove.

The problem with that is that it's an extra step in preparing your modpack, and that ruins the point of a modpack.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: June 08, 2013, 06:40:06 pm »

Me... Personally I would love to find out HOW to actually disable recipes. I can never work out how to do it. I once tried but all it did was remove the Icons, they could still craft and collect the item despite the icon not even being there. So weird...

My Current building of a Pack includes a few good mods. Here one sec let me get my list...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit - There is also another small/newish mod that is quite cool, but still not sure if I am adding right, it changes the way Health is handled. You can actually start the game with 1 Heart or maybe 3 for Zelda style. You gain hearts by Leveling or collecting Heart Pieces (Zelda again) from Dungeon Chests, the combination of the two systems isn't working all that well together atm tbh. But its quite a different start. A Zombie can 2 hit you and Skele's are scary as fuck...
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/115172-152-noheros-mods-more-health-40-no-more-base-class-edits-updated-to-152/
There are at least a couple of mods for removing recipes which I've noticed without even looking for them.

Looks like you've got most of the mods I'd choose and more. The only big magic mod I plan to include is Thaumcraft and maybe EE3 (but I wasn't a fan of EE2). I'm also still playing 1.4.7 so I'd include Redpower, I really hope it updates. That ChickenShed mod is a suggestion I made ages back, definitely going on my list.

Is it easy to toggle gregtech? Is there a IU tab in the options? Or do you have to go open files and read up on what to change?
If you want to stop it from changing recipes you have to edit a couple of files. It's not awful but some of the files are big and if you're not thorough you can end up with the problem a server I played on had: GregTech recipes turned off, but vanilla ones not turned on.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4103 on: June 08, 2013, 06:42:42 pm »

More time does not mean more difficult. Difficulty is trying to set up your wiring without blowing up your machines. Difficulty is finding an efficient setup for power transfer so you don't waste resources. Difficulty is trying to find new resources. Difficulty is not time sinking.
Gregtech's difficulty doesn't come only from "time sinking". Some of its machines act fundamentally differently, and they really challenge the way you wire up your network because if you do it wrong you can waste millions of EU and accomplish nothing.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4104 on: June 08, 2013, 10:48:58 pm »

Some of its machines act fundamentally differently...

Primarily by making EVERY IC2 MACHINE EVER blow up if it gets wet or has even the tiniest bit of overcharge.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4105 on: June 08, 2013, 10:56:36 pm »

Some of its machines act fundamentally differently...

Primarily by making EVERY IC2 MACHINE EVER blow up if it gets wet or has even the tiniest bit of overcharge.
I was referring to how some machines require a specific and constant voltage to perform work, and if they don't get it they lose all progress. It makes planning your energy net a challenge because you have to ensure everything has an uninterrupted flow of energy, not just hook up a source and go.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: June 09, 2013, 02:03:39 am »

That mechanic would be cool if it weren't so broken. Having to have a batbox/mfe for every single machine is kinda shitty, on the off chance that current gets interrupted for 1 second and then suddenly never working again and getting stuck on the same operation until you replace it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: June 09, 2013, 06:38:22 am »

On the other hand, energy crystals and lapotron crystals are much less expensive now with Gregtech, which makes that kind of stuff actually feasible.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4108 on: June 09, 2013, 08:20:54 am »

That mechanic would be cool if it weren't so broken. Having to have a batbox/mfe for every single machine is kinda shitty, on the off chance that current gets interrupted for 1 second and then suddenly never working again and getting stuck on the same operation until you replace it.
Having a batbox/mfe for every single machine is kind of a wasteful way to do it. For my energy grid I have a high voltage main line running through the workshop and I downconvert with transformers to three different lines as needed.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: June 09, 2013, 08:28:59 am »

Is anyone else annoyed by the tendency of some modders to use higher resolution textures for some of their blocks or items?  In most cases it just makes the item look out of place.

Natura, Tinker's Construct and Thaumcraft all do this.  Especially Natura and Tinker's Construct annoy me, since they don't even do it consistently. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:32:36 am by Rhodan »
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 326