Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975699 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3915 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14:55 am »

The "easy to program" part also doesn't apply.
Once you get the hang of words, Forth is much easier to program in than Lua, and you need much less text too. Also, Lua is ugly and annoying as fuck, especially when all you have is a console.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: April 16, 2013, 11:17:45 am »

Pff, I'm wearing your precious scorpions.
AND I KILL WYVERNS WITH A BLADE MADE FROM MY SCORPION'S FAMILY!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3917 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:50 am »

Yeah, you swing that sword, I'mma go fly over there out of range.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: April 16, 2013, 11:22:26 am »

Yeah, you swing that sword, I'mma go fly over there out of range.
Yeah, well, I'm gonna.. shoot arrows at you?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: April 16, 2013, 11:39:04 am »

Im gonna blast you both to pieces with a nuke.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: April 16, 2013, 11:41:27 am »

Im gonna blast you both to pieces with a nuke.
ICBM got those.
Oh and Anti-Matter explosives as well.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: April 16, 2013, 11:57:16 am »

I'm gonna build a table!

... Okay, so I've gotten as far as a generator and a few machines. ;-;
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:59 pm »

The "easy to program" part also doesn't apply.
Once you get the hang of words, Forth is much easier to program in than Lua, and you need much less text too. Also, Lua is ugly and annoying as fuck, especially when all you have is a console.

Especially since the console doesn't allow copy+pasting or anything else that makes convenient programming.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3923 on: April 16, 2013, 02:18:34 pm »

dragonshardz, try using computercraft computers. They're really easy to make, easy to program and can use redpower 2 bundled cable to output everything on a single face.

I don't like ComputerCraft much, nor does the modpack I intend to use this code in even have it. So I kinda need the FORTH code for a RP2 computer-based frameship. And a wiring diagram would be nice too.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: April 16, 2013, 03:55:28 pm »

I despise FORTH. It's horrible and icky, and that's in comparison to Lua which I strongly dislike (I hate hate hate programming languages that abuse poor ()s like that.).
As for the whole "console only thing", just use pastebin. The console command "pastebin put fileName" will put your program onto pastebin, and "pastebin get sTr1nG" will retrieve it. It works with things you put there, so if you really wanted you could just put someone's random crash log into a computer.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: April 16, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »

I hate FORTH as well.  My brain is too ossified to grasp it.

I can get along in Lua, but CC doesn't feel right for Minecraft.  RP2 feels right.

I remember there was an attempt to port Applesoft Basic or generic Microsoft Basic to the RP2 machine.  Yet I haven't ever seen a downloadable RP2 Basic Bootdisk.

Was this just talk?  Was there anything that was even demo-able?  Are there any bootdisks at all, aside from Eloraam's FORTH disk?

(I'm not going to dig through the horrible several-hundred-page RP2 thread on the MC forums, just to find out.  If there's something I detest about Minecraft, it's the forums.)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: April 16, 2013, 04:49:12 pm »

I despise FORTH. It's horrible and icky, and that's in comparison to Lua which I strongly dislike (I hate hate hate programming languages that abuse poor ()s like that.).
As for the whole "console only thing", just use pastebin. The console command "pastebin put fileName" will put your program onto pastebin, and "pastebin get sTr1nG" will retrieve it. It works with things you put there, so if you really wanted you could just put someone's random crash log into a computer.
Hey, Forth is just about the lowest-level legible programming language in existence, and a damn fine one at that. It's insanely small, fast and memory-efficient, it is built up perfectly logically and usable, yet you can still see the direct relation to the machine architecture. It is possible to name your concepts, build larger concepts out of smaller ones, and write small processes efficiently without having to define and use variables all over the place (stacks allow for insanely shorthand notation), although you can still use variables if you so wish. And you can write programs to and load them from disks in RP, and the content of those disks can be saved to files and shared like that (although I have to admit that the Dropbox thing is slightly easier). But let's continue the programming language discussion in the programming thread instead, and focus on the frame engine for now.

dragonshardz, try using computercraft computers. They're really easy to make, easy to program and can use redpower 2 bundled cable to output everything on a single face.

I don't like ComputerCraft much, nor does the modpack I intend to use this code in even have it. So I kinda need the FORTH code for a RP2 computer-based frameship. And a wiring diagram would be nice too.
Okay, here's a verbal wiring diagram. I presume you can make a caterpillar drive, yes? Let's say Motor 1 moves the frameship north, and Motor 2 pulls Motor 1 north.
The computer is connected via ribbon cable to an IO expander, which is in turn connected to bundled cable. Extract the light blue cable, and wire it to Motor 1. Have the light blue cable feed into a NOT gate too, which outputs to Motor 2. If you did everything correctly, a 20-tick pulse of the light blue cable should activate Motor 1, then a following 20-tick pause should activate Motor 2 and pull Motor 1 back.
Now here's a word that's handy to have:
Code: [Select]
: Move DUP IOXSET 20 TICKS IOXRST 20 TICKS ;
Teach your computer the Move word (just type in the whole line, with colon and semicolon, spaces are mandatory, then press return), then test it by calling
8 Move
The light blue wire should be on for a second, then off for a second, then the terminal should be responsive again.
Now 8 is the code for "light blue". You can get the code for a specific color by taking 2 to the power of the color meta value (white is code 1, orange is code 2, magenta is code 4, light blue is code 8, etc...). Instead of typing in the color code every time, you can just define a word that does that for you:
: North 8 ;
There. Now North is a synonym for 8.
Now to move your frameship a block north, just type in:
North Move
Looks simple, right? That's because it is.
Now to go in other directions, simply build a similar setup for all other directions, with a different wire color each. Let's say you used red cable to control moving south.
You have to teach your computer the word "South" first:
: South 16384 ;
16384 is 2^14 (the color code for red).
Then you can go south by typing "South Move".
Now if you don't want to type in "South Move" for every block you want to move, just try this:
100 TIMES South Move
This makes your frameship go 100 frames south (unless it gets stuck somewhere).
Now your frameship can move in all directions. If you need a bore head or something, ask me again when you've finished the motion things.
Happy shipbuilding, dragonshardz!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3927 on: April 16, 2013, 04:50:08 pm »

Once you understand how words work and get a few commands down, forth is actually pretty easy.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: April 16, 2013, 06:45:34 pm »

Okay, here's a verbal wiring diagram. I presume you can make a caterpillar drive, yes? Let's say Motor 1 moves the frameship north, and Motor 2 pulls Motor 1 north.

Combining a deployer, a motor, and a block breaker lets you move your machine twice as fast, because you're moving with every motor pulse, instead of every second pulse.

The deployer (containing 2 frames) and the breaker are next to each other, aimed at two empty blocks.  They are connected at the rear by tubes in a C shape.  The motor is placed at a different face of the deployer's target block, aimed at it, and oriented to 'push' toward the breaker's target block.

Pulse the deployer and breaker at the same time; pulse the motor one tick later.  (A simple non-invert cell will generate a one-tick delay, letting the whole mechanism be fired with one input pulse.)

You're basically moving along a virtualized infinite girder.

I suppose I could do some pics, if they're needed.

Late Edit: The above doesn't work for unlimited movement, sorry.  Go with inchworm.

Edit:
Once you understand how words work and get a few commands down, forth is actually pretty easy.
I've made the attempt, several times over the last 20 years.  It never sticks.

The toggle between infix-notation compile and postfix-notation execute trips me up, the little fact that parameters are on a different stack than return addresses (except when they're not!) messes with my mind, even stuff like IF and THEN being postfix but ELSE being infix...

And aesthetically, FORTH looks even more like line noise than Perl does.  Granted, it's not as bad as APL, but that's pretty weak praise.

Code: (APL code to find prime numbers, from the APL Wikipedia page) [Select]
(~R∊R∘.ŚR)/R←1↓⍳R
I do realize that you could rename each and every FORTH operator, and thus get something that looks less like a cat barfed up a keyboard.  You would just wind up with your own idiosyncratic FORTH-like language that nobody else could read without training.  In my mind, that's not a plus. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:53:32 pm by 0x517A5D »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3929 on: April 16, 2013, 07:03:26 pm »

Combining a deployer, a motor, and a block breaker lets you move your machine twice as fast, because you're moving with every motor pulse, instead of every second pulse.

The deployer (containing 2 frames) and the breaker are next to each other, aimed at two empty blocks.  They are connected at the rear by tubes in a C shape.  The motor is placed at a different face of the deployer's target block, aimed at it, and oriented to 'push' toward the breaker's target block.

Pulse the deployer and breaker at the same time; pulse the motor one tick later.  (A simple non-invert cell will generate a one-tick delay, letting the whole mechanism be fired with one input pulse.)

You're basically moving along a virtualized infinite girder.

I suppose I could do some pics, if they're needed.
Doesn't this waste/use a silly amount of blutricity due to the motor losing all of its charge each time you break it?
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 326