Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975363 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3705 on: February 13, 2013, 08:34:27 pm »

Really, it all comes down to the mod developers and coders covering their asses.  As modding is considered a 'grey' legal area in the gaming industry, most modders use either public or private source agreements to make sure they cannot be sued by the companies they make their mods for.

In the end, it requires that permissions and exceptions be made when included into modpacks and extrenous developements to the mod; otherwise they leave themselves legally vulnerable, and no one wants that.  The first time a major game developer sues a popular modder will bring on the apocolypse, I tell you! Anyway, mods are still considered IP, and as such ahve to be treated that way.

But as much of this stuff has been going on for a while now, I have no bloody idea of what is happening in MC Mod-land.  I enjoy the mods I like, don't touch or use the mods I don't, and do not try to publish modpacks with my own name on them without permission. End of story.

The minecraft modders take it out of "gray area" and put it into asshole territory by literally copyrighting their illegal modifications.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:12 pm »

The minecraft modders take it out of "gray area" and put it into asshole territory by literally copyrighting their illegal modifications.

Every bit of code that a modder writes is copyrighted by them.  Berne Convention, you know.

The potentially illegal area is any code that is decompiled from Mojang code, possibly altered, and then put into a mod.  Such code is copyrighted by Mojang. 

The same code, if altered by the modder, is also copyrighted by the modder; this copyright will be held invalid if a legitimate prior claim (i.e. Mojang's) is found to exist.

It is solely Mojang's prerogative to take the matter to court.  To date, they have shown no inclination to do so.

You are not part of Mojang.  You don't get to say that modding Mojang's code is illegal.

Only Mojang can make that claim.

You can claim that it's an asshole move.  That's your opinion.

But only a court of law can say that it's illegal, and only Mojang can bring the whole matter to the attention of the courts.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: February 14, 2013, 02:31:22 am »

Heh just understood one thing: 0x517A5d is right- if you don't like something (e.g. forge direction) please fork it and do it better. But saying that other should do this is not fair. Some people actually don't have the time and patience to mess about with framework design and would better make mods. Same thing with DF actually: toady could write better gui, but that would take time which is better (in his opinion) spent on developing features.
The worst things about all this forge/modders scene are:
  • Users are children- both in age and in mentality. Always crying and posting how modders don't do what they like.
  • Drama. Oh the drama.
  • Mojang modding api. My idea of modding api would have been- make it as fast as possible and then add all these new things (comparator, hopper, etc..) as mojang's mods. That way the modding api would be used by mojang, thus be more complete (and not shitty) AND you would have more choices on what game you play. Ideally it would work like unreal mutators
  • Game design. Nobody does it. Mojang is making strange game design decisions. Modpacks are just broken (with various exploits arising from using more than one mod). Ideally modpack should make each mod contribute to the modpack game design. This is mostly imposible due to closed source nature of mods (still afaik forge allows overwriting crafting recipes so an all encompassing tech tree should be possible)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: February 14, 2013, 02:55:27 am »

The only clever thing I heard from devs back when they were talking about mod support was to force all mod to be gpl.
Then the mod api never saw the light.

Also they were planning on adding a licence term allowing them to include all code from mods at their whim, another interesting idea albeit controversial.

We are still stuck with forge and three steel variants and the many screwdrivers and wrenches.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:57 am »

Pipe gates aren't really that useful on tubes, since they're useful mostly for pipe wire, but Elo has tons of cables for that, and the only other pipe-related gate function is the "stuff passing through" thing, which Elo has implemented with the item detector already. So I don't really see why Elo would want to put gates on her tubes.
It's being able to output a signal based on the various states of machines that I see as most useful.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: February 14, 2013, 04:02:11 am »

Pipe gates aren't really that useful on tubes, since they're useful mostly for pipe wire, but Elo has tons of cables for that, and the only other pipe-related gate function is the "stuff passing through" thing, which Elo has implemented with the item detector already. So I don't really see why Elo would want to put gates on her tubes.
It's being able to output a signal based on the various states of machines that I see as most useful.

Are structure pipes as bad as normal pipes in the processing department? If not, stick a gate on one next to the machine in question and use tubes for items. Best of both worlds.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: February 14, 2013, 04:03:50 am »

Me too, I was just arguing that it doesn't need to be put on tubes for that functionality.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: February 14, 2013, 04:57:27 am »

Are structure pipes as bad as normal pipes in the processing department? If not, stick a gate on one next to the machine in question and use tubes for items. Best of both worlds.
Yes but if it weren't for this one feature I'd not be installing BC at all.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:48 am »

Yeah, at this point, BC is used for the gates, quarries, and because damn near every mod is based on it.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: February 16, 2013, 08:39:11 pm »

Mystcraft updated. Writing books is seriously screwed around with, can't learn symbols (Pages now.) by going to a random world, have to trade with villagers. On the plus side, you can make some seriously absurd worlds now. Ocean world with lava? Check. World where stone is diamond ore? You got it. End but with a sun and no dragon? No problem.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: February 17, 2013, 12:21:33 am »

Wow, so no measurements against this? I'm gonna have to hold back if direwolf updates that into his world.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3716 on: February 17, 2013, 12:35:49 am »

Wow, so no measurements against this? I'm gonna have to hold back if direwolf updates that into his world.
the symbols to do all of that are extremely rare and hard to get...

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: February 17, 2013, 12:41:42 am »

The way it was meant to be.  From what I remember reading on the Mystcraft site, you should be able to find pages and whatnot in chests as loot and the like, as well. 
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: February 17, 2013, 12:50:46 am »

Extremely hard to get and rare? I'm expecting 64 emeralds for the diamond ore one then.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: February 17, 2013, 01:22:44 am »

This was the way mystcraft's creator envisioned the mod to start with. As it is right now, it's actually pretty difficult to get enough pages to assemble any reasonably sized notebook. IIRC, he's planning on adding a thaumcraft type tech system and world gen structures where you can find pages as well.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 326