Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 974881 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #3435 on: December 11, 2012, 02:04:18 am »

It's very possible most will have an exodus. Despite personal loyalty, if a new mod that does exactly the same things but is compatible with other mods that also do awesome things ...
The rational mod-user surely would. xD

*Rational = the economic sense of 'rational'.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3436 on: December 11, 2012, 06:41:29 am »

I think the real issue is FC is afraid he might lose the celebrity he's gained as 'the last holdout against forge' and so forth. Once BWF is working and has all of the same functionality as BTW, what reason would there be to care about FC at all?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: December 11, 2012, 06:59:45 am »

Hah. Kanker.

I'll be using this.
*Hugs*

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:42 am »

I don't much care for fc, but this whole hissy fit brings up a point. What would happen if someone did this to someone else like Elo, Sengir, or the author of another big mod? Yeah, there would be mass witch hunts and that person would likely be banned from every Minecraft forum out there.

Why, then, is it acceptable to make a derivative of BTW? Just because you don't like the guy and what he's done, is that it? I can tell you now that nothing bad will happen to the modder in question. None of the forums that would ban the former will ban the latter.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: December 11, 2012, 10:52:38 am »

Reputation is a factor, it's hard to ignore it. He shouldn't have made himself such a bad reputation in the first place. And the minecraft community is just very fucked up.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3440 on: December 11, 2012, 10:53:30 am »

I don't much care for fc, but this whole hissy fit brings up a point. What would happen if someone did this to someone else like Elo, Sengir, or the author of another big mod? Yeah, there would be mass witch hunts and that person would likely be banned from every Minecraft forum out there.

Why, then, is it acceptable to make a derivative of BTW? Just because you don't like the guy and what he's done, is that it? I can tell you now that nothing bad will happen to the modder in question. None of the forums that would ban the former will ban the latter.
Eh, I don't even understand his objection. Yes, someone is copying the concept of his mod. They're not stealing his code, they are recreating it themselves to be compatible with Forge. People do this all the time to make mods compatible with bukkit and nobody flips their shit and 'declares war'. If someone recreated redpower exactly, I wouldn't care much. I probably wouldn't even use it unless Elo quit modding or unless there was some specific feature which the copy mod could do that redpower couldn't..

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: December 11, 2012, 10:58:39 am »

Addons? :P
(But seriously, i understand that Elo doesn't want to deal with the fucking-up of the bug list that could come from addons.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: December 11, 2012, 11:02:23 am »

Minecraft mods are in such a vague legal area that really, if somebody came out with a remake of Redpower with a few extra or different features there would be no problem. I mean, the MC forums would blow the heck up, but the only thing Eloraam could do is make her mod better in its features and compatibility.

I'm just glad we can finally get some decent mechanical power in Minecraft.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3443 on: December 11, 2012, 02:07:31 pm »

I'd love a remake of Redpower that let you disable volcano and rubberwood tree generation.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: December 11, 2012, 02:16:31 pm »

Id love Eloraam meeting her Anima so she finally grows into a better person.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: December 11, 2012, 04:31:58 pm »

I'm sure most mod authors would be pissed off if somebody made a remake of their mod specifically for the API that they left and have a heavy dislike for.
If somebody did this to Eloraam, the entire forge community would be on her side, calling out racial slurs and accusations of Facism as well. Really, both sides are as bad as eachother in my opinion, with the BTW side hating forge and the forge side hating BTW.

And then there's people who want everybody to calm the fuck down and stop fighting over non-profit mods.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3446 on: December 11, 2012, 04:36:15 pm »

I'm sure most mod authors would be pissed off if somebody made a remake of their mod specifically for the API that they left and have a heavy dislike for.
If somebody did this to Eloraam, the entire forge community would be on her side, calling out racial slurs and accusations of Facism as well. Really, both sides are as bad as eachother in my opinion, with the BTW side hating forge and the forge side hating BTW.

And then there's people who want everybody to calm the fuck down and stop fighting over non-profit mods.
Then there's people like me who couldn't give a damn. If someone chooses to port your mod to be compatible with another API or system, there is little to nothing you can do about it. Nor does it really matter. Flower Child is pissed off because people will be able to enjoy his mod while using other mods along side it. If Eloraam was developing redpower 2 on her own and refusing to play nice with Forge, I guarantee someone would have done this long ago due to how awesome her mod is.

Its not different when people port a mod to be compatible with bukkit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: December 11, 2012, 06:16:08 pm »

I just don't like this idea of "modder's rights" in the first place.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3448 on: December 11, 2012, 06:16:53 pm »

Yeah, mods should be made to increase people's enjoyment of a game, not to get an epeen and rabid followers.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: December 11, 2012, 06:23:32 pm »

Though the epeen is nice :P
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 326