Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 326

Author Topic: Minecraft - Mods Thread  (Read 975391 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - Mods Thread
« Reply #2910 on: September 16, 2012, 03:23:12 pm »

I'm suddenly imagining a crossover mod that uses a thermophile to cool reactors while generating even more energy.
I can feel eloraam turning in her not-grave right now.
Stop using her mod in ways she didn't anticipate! Don't try to make things easier/better for mod users! Don't add neat features and mod interoperability!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: September 16, 2012, 03:48:07 pm »

It's funny because Eloraam is the worst mod author.
Everyone calls out FlowerChild, but he allows addons. As it happens, he also left Forge because he didn't want to be tied in with Eloraam.

EDIT: Does anybody know how many MJ forestry sueezers need?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:32:02 pm by Supercharazad »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: September 16, 2012, 04:58:45 pm »

Ok, while I love Mystcraft, it's starting to feel more like a bottleneck than the other non-updated mods. It just forces you to use a specific version of Forge, because the changes it makes to the game require replacing some of Forge's classes. It's already going to be a problem if I want to use Buildcraft, for example.

I guess it's a good thing 1.3.2 the SSP/SMP distinction is blurred, so I'm considering using a personal Bukkit server for single play. Maybe I'll even add one of those newfangled dimension mods instead of Myst...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2913 on: September 16, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »

Ok, while I love Mystcraft, it's starting to feel more like a bottleneck than the other non-updated mods. It just forces you to use a specific version of Forge, because the changes it makes to the game require replacing some of Forge's classes. It's already going to be a problem if I want to use Buildcraft, for example.

I guess it's a good thing 1.3.2 the SSP/SMP distinction is blurred, so I'm considering using a personal Bukkit server for single play. Maybe I'll even add one of those newfangled dimension mods instead of Myst...
Multiverse is a nice alternative to mystcraft. You can generate worlds using any world generator you can download for bukkit. Though I don't think there are 1.3.2 bukkit ports for buildcraft or IC2 yet

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: September 16, 2012, 05:14:30 pm »

I'm so proud of my little geothermal mining operation.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2915 on: September 16, 2012, 05:21:20 pm »

Very nice. Where does the lava come from?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: September 16, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »

Looks like a teleporting pipe hooked up to the tanks.
I'm curious as to how those work. Do you have to have the chunk it comes from active?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2917 on: September 16, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »

Looks like a teleporting pipe hooked up to the tanks.
I'm curious as to how those work. Do you have to have the chunk it comes from active?
Yes I saw the pipe, which is why I asked where it came from. :P

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: September 16, 2012, 05:32:23 pm »

I found some lava deposits when searching for the diamonds I used to build the quarry. I read that teleporting lava from the nether doesn't work so I'm going to try teleporting energy from the nether after I build up some more resources. I also havn't built a pump yet so I pour the lava into the underground tank with buckets.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2919 on: September 16, 2012, 05:33:41 pm »

Teleport Pipes don't work across dimensions at all, but you may be able to use enderchests if they're still cross-dimensional

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: September 16, 2012, 05:39:00 pm »

Not in Single-player, I don't think.  The Nether isn't active while you're in the overworld, so your lava-gathering machines won't harvest.

Of course recent Minecraft has begun emulating a server during single-player, so it may be possible to put a chunk anchor in the nether and have it remain functional.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:40 pm »

Multiverse is a nice alternative to mystcraft. You can generate worlds using any world generator you can download for bukkit. Though I don't think there are 1.3.2 bukkit ports for buildcraft or IC2 yet

Wait... so how are you planning on adding those to your 1.3.2 server? You're not going to use bukkit then?

EDIT: I just realized Millenaire is available for 1.3.2 AND it has server support... correct me if I'm wrong, but was it SSP-only before? I guess that makes the new forced-server-client architecture a good thing.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:10:30 pm by Sergius »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: September 17, 2012, 02:15:20 am »

It's funny because Eloraam is the worst mod author.
Everyone calls out FlowerChild, but he allows addons. As it happens, he also left Forge because he didn't want to be tied in with Eloraam.
Ah yes. Not wanting people screwing with your unfinished work! Such a crime!

FAR worse than telling everyone to either use your mod or take a hike! After intentionally making that mod out of anger at notch daring add a feature you didn't like! And yelling at Elorram for... Adding features... to an API... That were useful to her...

...Ok, sarcasm aside: Elorram is actually rather nice about things from what I've seen. She's got one rather silly hangup about people messing with her mod, and past that is pretty pleasant to deal with. Flowerchild is an elitist jerk who thinks his mod is the greatest thing ever to grace the earth. In both cases, ridiculous fanboyism blows things way out of proportion, but... Geez, I don't understand at all why Elorram gets so much hate for a semi-reasonable request. You may not agree, but she has reasons beyond "MUAHAHAHA, I HAS COPYRIGHT".
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2923 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:54 am »

I don't think the sarcasm works well there.

It's not an obvious issue; it's controversial by nature.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: September 17, 2012, 02:31:18 am »

Probably true, it's far too late for me to be having arguments on the internet!

...Seriously though, I don't get it. I see people acting like Elorram is a terrible person, and deserves to have people go out of their way to make her mad. Over... Nothing. Its like someone threatening to beat me up for not wanting someone else to sit in my chair. Is having a chair in the living room silly? Sure, to some people. But I like my chair. And wow, the VEHEMENCE directed against such a minor thing... Its mind-boggling.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 326